• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
FLCgkPe.jpg

With this we may finally have an answer about how much was Nintendo affected by the pandemic.

The URL is:
mario.nintendo.com

The official home of Super Mario™ – Online Challenge Series

Enter this month’s 35 years of Super Mario Bros. - Online Challenge Series

Even the legal rules for the challenge mention the same date, so it's not an error:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Given how bare-bones the collection is (not a slight, just an observation), it might actually have helped that they announced it so close to release. Not much time to get hung up on the details.

Also explains how so many people knew about it well before it was announced.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I feel Nintendo is one of the many Japanese companies that have not been able to handle work from home settings. I am reminded of that one thread we had in the OT side about japanese companies having a hard time with it

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
They probably had an event/Direct in spring announcing Paper Mario, all they announced during the Mario Direct plus the opening date of the Osaka park.

neonglow

Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean that Super Mario 3D All-Stars was suppose to release earlier and Super Mario 3D World was suppose to release this year?

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
At this point is pretty clear how Covid screwed Nintendo plans and canceled the big Direct that would reveal this, Paper Mario, and other stuff that ended up in the mini directs.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I feel Nintendo is one of the many Japanese companies that have not been able to handle work from home settings. I am reminded of that one thread we had in the OT side about japanese companies having a hard time with it
They use fax machines to transfer documents over. They weren't prepared at all.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember Venture Beats article about this months ago lol. I know some people were starting to think it was BS because it was taking so long. Who knew a world wide pandemic could affect things??? /s

venturebeat.com

Nintendo is making 3D Mario remasters for his 35th anniversary

Nintendo is planning to launch 3D Mario Remasters for games like Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games. This comes as Mario turns 35.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Does this mean that Super Mario 3D All-Stars was suppose to release earlier and Super Mario 3D World was suppose to release this year?
3D All stars has been rumored for September since early this year, so I don't think it was delayed, 3D World on the other hand was planned for the Pikmin 3 slot and was delayed.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah we knew this, it was said that Nintendo was supposed to have a Mario conference in April.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So the game was going to be available for a year and then they decided to switch it to 6 months?

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
... I can't see the implications of the image in the OP, do you mean that Mario Maker 2 would be used to propose a challenge that would have appeared in the direct?

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I have read somewhere that Japanese people feel like they are disrespecting their clients if they work from home and I'm sure they like to meet face to face to make partnerships. I wonder how this will affect Japanese culture overall, not just the gaming side.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Suddenly makes a lot more sense that insiders knew this existed and were continuously baffled that they weren't announcing it.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Given how bare-bones the collection is (not a slight, just an observation), it might actually have helped that they announced it so close to release. Not much time to get hung up on the details.

Also explains how so many people knew about it well before it was announced.
I think most people are happy with the Collection, so it wouldn't have mattered. It's a collection that has Mario 64 and Galaxy, it would be anticipated regardless of when it's announced. I also assume it would have released earlier as well.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
I've long held the belief that there was going to be a Mario event in April.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not only was there COVID, but Nintendo had a big hand in promoting the Japan 2020 Olympics that got pushed a year, so one has to assume they were planning releases or announcements around it.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
It was either that or this would've been in a March General Direct that got scuttled and downsized for the Mini we ended up with.
From whey we know from Kelios the Mini was always a Mini. I think the reason it was a Mini is that the Mario stuff was going to be in a separate event.

Beegeous

Nov 6, 2017
Manchester, UK
Look at the even dates. It shows that the announcements were supposed to be in April.
I've clocked those however it was known this this was Mario's 35 Anniversary ages ago. All this suggests (to me at least) is that there was a Mario Maker 2 speed run event in place and nothing regarding 3D All Stars, etc.

Although this could just be me being thick.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not surprised. at least for 3D world we pretty much know it was planned for this year but had to be bumped to 2021.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Interesting. Since I'm assuming 3D World May have been scheduled for this year previously, that means that there might not be any other 1st party games at the end if this year. Craziness wow.

I guess BOTW2 might be next holiday at the earliest now which would be what....a 4 year dev cycle on a game likely built on the foundation they had already built? Dang

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Since I'm assuming 3D World May have been scheduled for this year previously, that means that there might not be any other 1st party games at the end if this year. Craziness wow.

I guess BOTW2 might be next holiday at the earliest now which would be what....a 4 year dev cycle on a game likely built on the foundation they had already built? Dang
That's sounds about right. Not shocking about a sequel built upon the previous game taking just as long. You should be worried if the game took far less time.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If just 3d allstars and a few small things like this got delayed 5 months, BOTW2 is probably delayed a solid year at least. I'm thinking march 2022.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As expected, neat to have primary source confirmation of it

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
but i was told by era experts™ that covid couldn't possibly be the reason for any delays

are you saying they didn't know what they were talking about!?

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Where are now those that spent all of these five months going "what the hell is Nintendo doing with their communication", "Nintendo has nothing to show", etc.? Will they finally understand we're in the middle of a pandemic and Nintendo got hit really hard?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
That's sounds about right. Not shocking about a sequel built upon the previous game taking just as long. You should be worried if the game took far less time.

I am sure the game will be amazing. It's just crazy that the sequel - not having to start everything from absolute scratch - will have this much dev time. Yes the wait sucks but I can only assume the final game will/should be even better than it would have been. I'm expecting another GOTG honestly - can't wait.
BOTW2 is my most wanted game including sll next gen stuff which is saying something.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I am sure the game will be amazing. It's just crazy that the sequel - not having to start everything from absolute scratch - will have this much dev time. Yes the wait sucks but I can only assume the final game will/should be even better than it would have been. I'm expecting another GOTG honestly - can't wait.
BOTW2 is my most wanted game including sll next gen stuff which is saying something.
It's still an insanely large AAA open world title. Not having to start from scratch helps, but it's still a massive title to develop. Nothing 'crazy' about a sequel needing many years of development.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As most should have figured out, Nintendo was hit hard by COVID. And as I mentioned before, 3D World was likely supposed to be their November game before COVID happened.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
It's not just Japanese companies affected. Sony too, but also Microsoft. It's a worldwide issue

endzville

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 21, 2020
Scotland
I've said it in a couple of threads now but one thing many people seem to have completely forgotten about in the threads about this release - and it goes for the other announcements too - is that Mario's birthday celebrations were meant to have coincided with the Olympics this year and the opening of Nintendoland. So yeah, not a surprise. When they said a while ago that Covid had affected their marketing this is exactly what they were referring to.