• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This morning Anno decided to fuck GAINAX right in the ass casually dropping this bombshell of an article on Studio khara's Twitter.

Read it all because it's packed with shady stuff

www.animenewsnetwork.com

Hideaki Anno Details His Falling Out With Gainax

Khara has distanced itself from Gainax following Gainax representative director's arrest

Last edited:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So if I am reading this correctly, Khara sues Gainax "central" for the rights of some of the shows, but finds out that they transferred them to another company (Gainax Fukushima).
S that means that the rights are still with gainax (but not the original one), right?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Gainax is a magnet for drama, isn't it? I'm still remembering the Princess Maker creator stepping down from their board because he said that reading fan comments on 2ch was like sniffing an ass.

Gainax kind of presented itself as more of an otaku, amateur production earlier on. I wonder if that legitimately reflected in bad business/financial awareness?

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, Anno didn't come to fuck around. Hope it all works out for Anno and Khara. Would love to see Khara become a bigger success and treat it's/Gainax' franchises a lot better than they've been treated and put out more creator driven creations than some of the more cynical financial ones we've seen as of late.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
So if I am reading this correctly, Khara sues Gainax "central" for the rights of some of the shows, but finds out that they transferred them to another company (Gainax Fukushima).
S that means that the rights are still with gainax (but not the original one), right?

Basically, Anno sued a dummy corporation.

Anno thought he was fighting the Emperor when he was actually fighting Vader.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Looks like it. It's textbook fraud, but I think there are legal workarounds and these cases are always a mess. Shit is fucked

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
What a horrible fate to one of anime's more iconic studios. The whole company and its shells need to be shut down, it's not even a proper organization anymore.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
That's some nasty business. No wonder Gainax was off radar for so many years (I think Dantalian was the last show of theirs I saw). Good for Anno and Imaishi, they left this dumpster fire in time. I wonder if Anno got all of his money back yet.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, I didn't expect Gainax to be such a hot pile of trash. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty sad about it.

The only good thing to come out of this mess is Anno being a really fucking cool dude.

...Now that I think about it, it's pretty weird that no one seems to express any interest for the Gurren Lagann IP.

boyifyoudont

Feb 10, 2018
The article mentions that this is the first column in this series he's writing.
Insane, can't wait to see what else he has to say.

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Unless the translation is off on the 4chan post, this one really made me laugh

>To help Gainax further, Anno even offered to buy the rights for FLCL, Gunbuster and Diebuster for generous amounts. Anno almost finishes purchasing them, but one day Yamaga told him the price was now 6 times what they had originally agreed. Anno was confused. Next year, he found out that Gainax underwent restructuring and needed more money so they sold the works to companies offering more money. He thinks priority was given to money over the development of the work or the feelings of the production staff.

Getting back the Eva merch rights for practically nothing wasn't enough for Anno, he came back trying to finesse even more lol

I love Anno.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
You also have to wonder who exactly owns the rest of the Gainax catalogue.
Some shell corporation thats literally just an empty office and a phone?

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Godspeed for Anno

The whole GAINAX situation is fucked beyond recognition. Dummies upon dummies who literally burnt through the success of Eva and the following animes they produced.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the reason why the Rebuild movies take so long and the third one is bad?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this explains a lot about gainax's absolute collapse this past decade and why basically everyone there left for khara and trigger

guessing production IG ultimately ended up with the FLCL rights, which is why we, unfortunately, got progressive/alternative

OP
OP

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
By the way, this was Anno's response back in 2016 when asked why his studio had so many full time employee with higher salaries than most other studios

It is the staff, not the director, who actually makes the work. Furthermore, it is the fans who support the foundation of the work economically. Fans and staff must be taken care of. This is the de facto (standard), and of course there is an idea that in order to continue making works, we must give back to both parties. When we make an anime and money comes in, we share it with everyone.

No wonder most people followed him to khara instead of sticking with GAINAX.