• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
So this is interesting.

(13:10) and on. In a new interview Reuben Langdon (voice of Dante) goes on to talk about how Itsuno had his resignation letter ready and was very close to leaving Capcom after what happened with DmC unless they let him do what he wanted (DMC5)

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guy's a legendary game maker and it's a shame it took him eleven years to get a sequel to DMC4 made. I hope he's already hard at work on another project for Capcom.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Itsuno was on board with DmC because he wanted to do his dream game in Dragon's Dogma?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty fucking big shit that Rueben dropped there.

Itsuno ready to quit from Capcom unless he got his wishlist fulfilled. DMC5 was on the top of his wishlist but not only that, he wanted the game made the way HE wanted it. I am guessing he is going through his wishlist now after DMC5 with DD2 as he said in interview.

It's kinda weird because DMC5 is filled with so many DmC nods (in a great way I might add) that I find it crazy to think Itsuno would be resigning over it. My guess is that even though he liked the end product, he probably didn't like being pulled from his dream game Dragon's Dogma to help NT with the project. It probably felt like a DMC2 situation all over again for him since he was being brought on during development in order to fix some issues.

Also from what Rueben is implying, it seems like it was Capcom who wanted to make DmC2 not Itsuno (who instead wanted to make DMC5).

Oct 27, 2017
Well it sounds like Capcom is now willing to give him a big budget to work with if DMC5 is anything to go by, so all's well that ends well.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Itsuno ready to quit from Capcom unless he got his wishlist fulfilled. DMC5 was on the top of his wishlist but not only that, he wanted the game made the way HE wanted it. I am guessing he is going through his wishlist now after DMC5 with DD2 as he said in interview.

It's kinda weird because DMC5 is filled with so many DmC nods (in a great way I might add) that I find it crazy to think Itsuno would be resigning over it. My guess is that even though he liked the end product, he probably didn't like being pulled from his dream game Dragon's Dogma to help NT with the project. It probably felt like a DMC2 situation all over again for him since he was being brought on during development in order to fix some issues.

Also from what Rueben is implying, it seems like it was Capcom who wanted to make DmC2 not Itsuno (who instead wanted to make DMC5).
Yeah, I think he was just tired of Capcom putting him on projects to fix them so he was ready to leave unless they let him do things the way he wanted to.

And after how DMC5 turned out, I think Capcom made the smart choice.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't doubt that Itsuno loved DmC but that game was Ninja Theory's baby and it makes sense that he would not want to make DmC2, versus a sequel to his own game, DMC4.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If Itsuno actually went on with this and DmC caused him to leave then that would have been the final nail in the coffin for Devil May Cry as a franchise.

Thankfully we got the best case scenario and Itsuno gets to make whatever he wants.

Also I think ''Itsuno loves DmC'' was just PR talk mixed with respect given how Reuben was describing him talking about it, given he was about to give his resignation.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I don't think Itsuno took kindly to seeing DmC mocking his characters.
I don't think NT could have done that scene without Capcom approval, they probably just didn't expect that strong of a reaction. But yeah, what Itsuno says in interviews about DmC is beyond doubt mostly PR talk.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you can brush aside Itsuno's DmC comments as "PR talk" considering the actual game is chock full of great DmC references. Actions speak louder than words.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Itsuno probably liked a lot of the work he did on DmC, but I always felt that him praising DmC as one of the best DMC games was maybe him being told by Capcom to not separate the DMC and DmC fanbases even further. If Itsuno said anything bad about his time on DmC, maybe Capcom feared DmC fans wouldn't be as willing to give DMC5 a shot?

In reality, it was probably the bad PR mess and Ninja Theory shitting on his characters and games that made Itsuno really wanna make a "proper" DMC5.

Dec 11, 2017
India

What was the DMC2 situation?

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
He probably got inspired (motivated) by DmC and couldn't wait any longer to direct a DMC.
Yeah we can see the inspiration of DmC in V pretty easily. From some of the enemies, to the character designs, to the level structure, killing blows, and even the mechanics like Nero's grapple.
Don't think he hated the game so much of he took a bunch stuff from it lol

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I imagine the truth is somewhere in-between.

He did work on DmC so there are some parts that he would like, but at the same time I can't imagine he was happy with Capcom's direction during those years.

I guess same with all of us.

Either way I'm glad Capcom saw value in him, had it been Konami he would be out in a heartbeat.

He would've joined Platinum Games

Platinum doesn't make fighting games, Itsuno is a fighting game guy first before he was an action game director.

Maybe Arc System.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we can the inspiration of DmC in V pretty easily. From some of the enemies, to the character designs, to the level structure, killing blows, and even the mechanics like Nero's grapple.
Nero's grapple was in DMC4 already.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What was the DMC2 situation?
In previous interviews, Itsuno/Matt said that there were initial plans to make DmC2 but that plan fell through for undisclosed reasons. People assumed because the game didn't meet sales target while the DMC HD collections did better than Capcom expectations so it was a natural thing to do (make a product that more people are willing to buy).

Now Rueben is coming in and basically implying that Capcom was going to go forward with DmC but it was not to Itsuno's liking so he put out a resignation letter and would only stay if Capcom followed his wishlist. A DMC5 game made with his full control was on the top of his list.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best western developed action title of all time, but will always be shit compared to what Kamiya and Itsuno can do. Not surprised.

Glad they were bought by Microsoft so the gaming public never has to suffer a tragedy like that again.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Yeah we can see the inspiration of DmC in V pretty easily. From some of the enemies, to the character designs, to the level structure, killing blows, and even the mechanics like Nero's grapple.

Some of that is in 4 and it's ok to take the good from that game

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
There's also DMC4: SE vergil being built heavily off of DmC:DE vergil

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I imagine the truth is somewhere in-between.

He did work on DmC so there are some parts that he would like, but at the same time I can't imagine he was happy with Capcom's direction during those years.

I guess same with all of us.

Either way I'm glad Capcom saw value in him, had it been Konami he would be out in a heartbeat.

Platinum doesn't make fighting games, Itsuno is a fighting game guy first before he was an action game director.

Maybe Arc System.

I can't see why platinum can't make non-action games.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't think that's a definitive statement. The DmC bit sounded like commentary from Reuben, I'm not sure he was even completely aware of Itsuno's reasons for leaving, just his reason for staying.

Plus I dunno how many times Itsuno has to indicate he likes DmC for people to believe him. Developers aren't as precious or crazy as some fans.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
If Itsuno actually went on with this and DmC caused him to leave then that would have been the final nail in the coffin for Devil May Cry as a franchise.

Thankfully we got the best case scenario and Itsuno gets to make whatever he wants.

Also I think ''Itsuno loves DmC'' was just PR talk mixed with respect given how Reuben was describing him talking about it, given he was about to give his resignation.

I think that's it for the most part, but Istuno is probably pretty proud of the few good mechanics and concepts that were introduced in DmC (probably a safe bet to say Itsuno created those positives) and he liked them enough to implement some stuff into DMC5. I think he doesn't want to rock the boat too much and prefers to just leave the negative aspects of developing DmC in the past.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I don't think Itsuno took kindly to seeing DmC mocking his characters.
Yep, remember when they were mocking og Dante for being a gay cowboy, instead of cool edgy hero.
0CMlpI9.jpg

mOX7iKY.jpg
5WiRLvk.jpg

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017

The grapple mechanics in DmC are literally an extension of Nero's original abilities.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
In previous interviews, Itsuno/Matt said that there were initial plans to make DmC2 but that plan fell through for undisclosed reasons. People assumed because the game didn't meet sales target while the DMC HD collections did better than Capcom expectations so it was a natural thing to do (make a product that more people are willing to buy).

Now Rueben is coming in and basically implying that Capcom was going to go forward with DmC but it was not to Itsuno's liking so he put out a resignation letter and would only stay if Capcom followed his wishlist. A DMC5 game made with his full control was on the top of his list.
I'd wager at this point Itsuno said "We do it with NT or not at all" and they were head on in development on Hellblade at this point and now also the MS acquisition, so they ended up greenlighting 5. Cause if you look in the interview where he talks about it he says as much about how it'd be weird for a sequel to be made exclusively in Japan.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It must be, because I see no reason to try to excuse the 30fps gameplay, by stating that it still has the feel of 60fps, and that you wouldn't notice the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.