• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Itsuno in a previous interview also seems to implly tha
I'd wager at this point Itsuno said "We do it with NT or not at all" and they were head on in development on Hellblade at this point and now also the MS acquisition, so they ended up greenlighting 5. Cause if you look in the interview where he talks about it he says as much about how it'd be weird for a sequel to be made exclusively in Japan.
Yeah that's probably the most likely explanation. But I think Capcom in general wanted to make DmC2 in house ANYWAY and that's where Itsuno drew the line.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's a definitive statement. The DmC bit sounded like commentary from Reuben, I'm not sure he was even completely aware of Itsuno's reasons for leaving, just his reason for staying.

Plus I dunno how many times Itsuno has to indicate he likes DmC for people to believe him. Developers aren't as precious or crazy as some fans.

Yep. Given the way Reuben talks about him (and Matt Walker has said similar stuff), it's unlikely he'd be this huge team player and then throw NT under the bus.

He can have been unhappy with DmC and wanted to leave because of the corporate politics of it - that doesn't really have anything to do with the game itself, which I'm sure he appreciates as ~100 people doing the best they could.

People sure want him to hate it though.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah it sounds more like DmC2 being done the right way (with NT) fell through and it was more of a "let me do DMC5 then or I'm out" situation.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
There's also DMC4: SE vergil being built heavily off of DmC:DE vergil
Did Vergil ever have the clone Devil Trigger in 3? Or was it taken from DmC for 5? I could have completely forgotten it like with Nero's grapple, because I don't remember it all in any of the Vergil fights.
yeah sounds like this guy is talking shit tbh
Yeah. I'm having a hard time believing him too. And he's just fueling the fire. :/

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the story that he realized he fucked up 2 and made damn sure 3 would be the best game in the series?

This doesn't surprise me. Not to mention Capcom at the time was an embarrassment and they kept making terrible decisions.

Bring on DMC6 (and bring V back).

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Did Vergil ever have the clone Devil Trigger in 3? Or was it taken from DmC for 5? I could have completely forgotten it like with Nero's grapple, because I don't remember it all in any of the Vergil fights.
clone trigger was new to DmC, in 3 it was basically like dante's but with summoned sword techniques

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
An awful timeline narrowly averted. We're lucky.

I still prefer DmC to DMC5. It's just a better game imo.
You can like what you like, but by no stretch of the imagination it is a better game in any way. In fact, DMC5 is like a game dev class on how to improve upon DmC point-by-point. Everything from floaty air combat to the use of profanity.

Buddha0991

Oct 25, 2017
I bet you that the truth is actually that Itsuno does in fact quite like DmC, I don't see him to be the kind of person to just make up stuff like that, he has always been a rather earnest person. DMC5 also has a number of references and lessons learned from it. There must be some complicated feelings about that game too however, and some stuff we dont know about leads him to feel this way. So I think it might be something down the middle here.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I don't think you can brush aside Itsuno's DmC comments as "PR talk" considering the actual game is chock full of great DmC references. Actions speak louder than words.
Not many would doubt some of the DmC improvement, you don't have to like/hate everything about a game. But I doubt comments like "might be my favorite DMC game" are anything but PR. Especially after this story.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
If Itsuno actually went on with this and DmC caused him to leave then that would have been the final nail in the coffin for Devil May Cry as a franchise.

Thankfully we got the best case scenario and Itsuno gets to make whatever he wants.

Also I think ''Itsuno loves DmC'' was just PR talk mixed with respect given how Reuben was describing him talking about it, given he was about to give his resignation.

we probably would've gotten DmC2 instead of V

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was probobaly PR talk. It's not like he was going to say that a game that Capcom was selling, wasn't good.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Yeah it sounds more like DmC2 being done the right way (with NT) fell through and it was more of a "let me do DMC5 then or I'm out" situation.
I doubt Capcom even considered working with NT again when even work on DmC:SE was started by NT on their own. DmC vanilla sales weren't exactly satisfactory, and at that point in time Capcom pretty much stopped outsourcing to western developers.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
So this is interesting.

(13:10) and on. In a new interview Reuben Langdon (voice of Dante) goes on to talk about how Itsuno had his resignation letter ready and was very close to leaving Capcom after what happened with DmC unless they let him do what he wanted (DMC5)

Pretty misleading thread title. It makes it sound like he wanted to quit right after DmC and that it was in direct relation to that game's release. In the interview, he doesnt say that. He says that he was ready to quit if he wasn't allowed to do DMC 5. Which shows that it was a lot more recent.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like Reuben is twisting some info around. I find it hard to believe Itsuno had any hate for DmC considering V has so many positive nods to it.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I love how Itsuno took so many design ideas from DmC for DMCV, and basically turned Nero into DmC Dante 2.0, but people are still tripping over themselves trying to prove he actually secretly hates the game.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I love how Itsuno took so many design ideas from DmC for DMCV, and basically turned Nero into DmC Dante 2.0, but people are still tripping over themselves trying to prove he actually secretly hates the game.
People's disdain for that game seem to be clouding their judgments. This is far from Randy Pitchford constantly stanning for Alien's Colonial Marines. One is a game that has some redeeming qualities made by a dev that said some stupid shit while the other is both a flat out bad game made by a dev that said even more stupid shit. I wouldn't say Nero is DmC Dante 2.0 though since he's pretty much similar to dmc4 nero.

Last edited:

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
This sounds like Reuben is twisting some info around. I find it hard to believe Itsuno had any hate for DmC considering V has so many positive nods to it.

DmC fans seeing what they want to see, and claiming the opposite.

There's some good ideas from DmC carried over to DMC5, but you guys are trying too hard.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

That's what the DmC fans keep brining up for some reason even tho Nero is pretty much the same dude from DMC4 and a natural evolution from that. Must be some hair thing or something. It wouldn't be the first time.

Makes no sense. It's just baseless trolling at this point.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
DmC fans seeing what they want to see, and claiming the opposite.

There's some good ideas from DmC carried over to DMC5, but you guys are trying too hard.
I'm basing my opinion from what Itsuno has said about DmC and some of the mechanics that carried over. This isn't even me being a DmC fanboy.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
That's what the DmC fans keep brining up for some reason even tho Nero is pretty much the same dude from DMC4 and a natural evolution from that. Must be some hair thing or something. It wouldn't be the first time.

Makes no sense. It's just baseless trolling at this point.

You've got to be kidding.

Sure, any similarities are coincidental or mandated by Capcom, and you all weren't having meltdowns for the first minute of the reveal trailer when you thought it was DmC 2.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You've got to be kidding.

Sure, any similarities are coincidental or mandated by Capcom, and you all weren't having meltdowns for the first minute of the reveal trailer when you thought it was DmC 2.

What are you talking about? Who exactly are you referring to with ''you all''? Generalisation sure is wonderful.

The DMC fanbase isn't 1 single hivemind.

Any fan worth their salt would have reconized Nero the moment he reved up Red Queen. But keep on riding on that DmC boat that has long sailed and also sunken. It sure did wonders so far.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty misleading thread title. It makes it sound like he wanted to quit right after DmC and that it was in direct relation to that game's release. In the interview, he doesnt say that. He says that he was ready to quit if he wasn't allowed to do DMC 5. Which shows that it was a lot more recent.

I was gonna say, the title seems to contradict a lot of info from previous interviews

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Finally the truth. Makes sense seeing as how DmC was bad and Ninja Theory shat all over the franchise he made and it's fanbase.

I love how DmC superfans have been using the 'but Itsuno really likes DmC!!!1' constantly since DMC5 was revealed, as if the guy would be so classless to talk negatively about another developer on the previous game, he's not Ninja Theory.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I kind of wonder if Langdon maybe doesn't have the full story. Considering Itsuno's track record I'm generally willing to give him the benefit of the doubt so I have a feeling there was more to him wanting to quit than Langdon is aware of. I mean, Itsuno seemed convinced that the failure he inherited with DMC2 would ruin his career so he seems like a guy who's super passionate about what he does. I wouldn't be surprised if him wanting to quit after DmC wasn't because he hated it but because he knew a not insignificant chunk of the fan base hated it.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
It was probobaly PR talk. It's not like he was going to say that a game that Capcom was selling, wasn't good.

I agree.

Nero in DMC5 is nothing like that stupid DmC Dante.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can a mod please change the thread title so it's actually accurate to what Langdon said?

Because all the people going "I KNEW HE HATED IT" is kinda silly.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Now a character from a 2008 game copies one from a 2013 game? How does that work?

Eventually DmC stans are going to be saying that DMC5 copied having lock-on from DmC SE.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Finally the truth. Makes sense seeing as how DmC was bad and Ninja Theory shat all over the franchise he made and it's fanbase.

I love how DmC superfans have been using the 'but Itsuno really likes DmC!!!1' constantly since DMC5 was revealed, as if the guy would be so classless to talk negatively about another developer on the previous game, he's not Ninja Theory.
If he didn't like it he wouldn't have said anything about it at all. Was he provoked to give his opinion on DmC?

Status
Not open for further replies.