• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In previous interviews, Itsuno/Matt said that there were initial plans to make DmC2 but that plan fell through for undisclosed reasons. People assumed because the game didn't meet sales target while the DMC HD collections did better than Capcom expectations so it was a natural thing to do (make a product that more people are willing to buy).

Now Rueben is coming in and basically implying that Capcom was going to go forward with DmC but it was not to Itsuno's liking so he put out a resignation letter and would only stay if Capcom followed his wishlist. A DMC5 game made with his full control was on the top of his list.

Not what I got from it. From the sounds they weren't gonna go ahead with it at all and Itusno wanted more Devil May Cry. Whether it be DmC or DMC.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Timeline reads as this
Itsuno (and capcom) wants to make DmC2 with NT
NT busy with hellblade so they say no
Capcom still wants DmC2 so says to make it inhouse
Itsuno doesn't want to make DmC2 without NT so wants to make DMC5 instead
Threatens to resign unless capcom allows DMC5 since he's probably hype from making DmC
Wasn't Hellblade a last-effort, low-budget attempt by Ninja Theory to stay alive as they had no publisher to rely on for funding anymore? I find it hard to believe they would say no to making DmC 2 if they were in that situation.

I think we're lacking the full picture. Maybe what Itsuno told Reuben isn't false, but maybe he slightly exaggerated some details as he was talking to someone who might have been bitter about "losing" the role of Dante. And when it comes to what Itsuno has said to the press, a lot of that might be more positive than it actually is in order to stay professional. And some of the stuff he's said seems contradictory. On one side he said he wanted to make DmC2, on the other side he's said he's thankful DmC didn't sell better than it did as that meant he could go back to the original series.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
It is clearly written in my profile.

You'd be VERY surprised about how many people "out there" have opinions different from the ones you try to pass as absolute thruth.

Again, we are not talking about a shitty game and a very good game here.

We are talking about two good games and yet lots of people tries to depict one as a very bad game "because things". That's wrong.
So...it's your opinion that both are good games. Some people disagree that both are good games. This is how opinions work and it's OK for you guys to disagree there.

However if someone thinks one is a bad game, it's normal that the things they say will reflect that.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This was a presentation by NT, it wasn't about promoting the game but the developer's approach to changing/re-imagining an existing IP(mainly the art direction, it was run by NT's art director). It was at a GDC after the game's release and had nothing to do with Capcom other than that Capcom commissioned them and wanted a Dante that could be in a hollywood movie.

The homophobic bit is a joke about the artist imagining that that's the movie DMC4 Dante would fit in, and then move on to them wanting Dante to be more like a character that would fit in Fight Club.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. Really appreciate it. I like DMC. All dmc. Not into anything homophobic so they can stick it if that's the approach they went with.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The treatment of Lady and Trish in DMC5 is by far my biggest issue with the game but the game at least has Nico, who's a great addition to the franchise. I also don't feel like DMC5 is promoting any kind of particularly harmful views on women. It's just shitty fanservice for weaboos. We still know they can kick demon ass by looking at the previous games. DmC actively made its only two women a damsel in distress who gets her ass grabbed by the protag at the end, and a demon lady who's treated like shit by her partner and is shot in the stomach while pregnant.
While I'm not going to argue that Kat is some bastion of writing a female character she at least provides help to Dante through s very large chunk of the game.

And even when she's kidnapped she uses it to her advantage to get the layout of the building.

It's incredibly flawed and I won't comment on Lilith which is very mean spirited but Kat felt like a far more active participant in the story then Trish and Lady do a lot of the time.

Nico is really great though not going to deny that.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
So...it's your opinion that both are good games. Some people disagree that both are good games. This is how opinions work and it's OK for you guys to disagree there.

However if someone thinks one is a bad game, it's normal that the things they say will reflect that.

Yep, my point is that both games received a similar level of acclaim and I was amazed how one is usually treated in gaming forums in comparison to the other one. That is clearly, to me, something which goes beyond the quality of the games itself, it is in most cases fanboys being fanboys and I somehow though that this was mitigated in a place like Resetera.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I'm not sure why you're immediately transforming into a raging pugilist over what is a brief comment at the end of a longer and largely unrelated post. You've never interacted with me before. It wasn't even aimed at you. I haven't done anything to merit such animus.

To respond to your argument, though: your line of thought seems to imagine (and rely upon) that this thread/forum is the only place where anyone has ever encountered that precise criticism before. I don't know Castile well enough, nor do I think their remark in and of itself is clearly offensive enough, to accuse or censure them (which is why I didn't, and why I even minimized my remark by using the word "whiff"); but I have encountered people around the internet who were offended by the idea that the DmC designers thought Dante is "gay" (in an obviously derogatory sense of the word). Maybe the "we" you use isn't true of everyone here, there, and elsewhere.

A "raging pugilist"? Okay, that's a new one.

In regards to the bold, where did my post every mention anyone outside of this forum?

When did that poster, or any DMC fan here, say anything that would even remotely imply this train of thought? We like our Dante being a stylish, flamboyant, badass.

This is what DMC fans that don't care for DmC want Dante to be:

tumblr_pnzecsPNNd1s6ub5do8_500.gif

So fuck off with your disingenuous nonsense.

I'm talking about the DMC community that is here on this site. If you can find a DMC fan on this site that is mad about Ninja Theory essentially calling Dante gay, because they themselves think that is an insult to Dante and not to LGBTQ people, post it for the class to see.

Obviously there's gotta be garbage DMC fans out there that are homophobic. Homophobia is one of the biggest problems in our society and every fanbase is going to have shitheads like that.

What I'm trying to get at is that the DMC fans on this site, Youtube users I watch, and Twitter users I follow, all love Dante's non-traditional take on masculinity and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, my point is that both games received a similar level of acclaim and I was amazed how one is usually treated in gaming forums in comparison to the other one. That is clearly, to me, something which goes beyond the quality of the games itself, it is in most cases fanboys being fanboys and I somehow though that this was mitigated in a place like Resetera.
But reviewers don't have superior opinions. It's not necessarily about being fanboys, some people just disagree with the reviews. There are games that scored well that I think are bad games and I'll call them such. Critical acclaim is important but it's still subjective.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
But reviewers don't have superior opinions. It's not necessarily about being fanboys, some people just disagree with the reviews. There are games that scored well that I think are bad games and I'll call them such. Critical acclaim is important but it's still subjective.

Of course it is subjective. Yet we can't assume that "out there" there isn't a similar reception for the two games. Most probably people like them almost equally and I would not be surprised is even sales-wise the two games (that is, DmC and DMC5) will have similar amounts in terms of sales.

The "one games is bad, the other is good" narrative I often see here simply baffles me because it goes way beyond the "i like this one more" thing.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
In light of some of the inflammatory rhetoric featured in this video unrelated to the OP, this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.