• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Thanks to orzkare, who posted on the PS OT.
Translated using DeepL

It's a HUGE interview with 2 important persons at PS,Masayasu Ito(EVP Hardware Engineering & Operations) and Hideaki Nishino(SVP Platform Planning & Management) and they talk about the PS5, there is a lot of stuff but I think this is the most important part( I will try to read everything):

Full interview(in Japenese): https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/rt/1288103.html
The current PS5 does not support 1440p output, but this is based on the idea that "our priority is to support TVs" (Mr. Nishino). If there are a lot of requests for this, they will be able to support it at ...... while keeping an eye on market trends.

In fact, this is where another piece of hardware comes into play.

The PlayStation VR (PSVR), a VR peripheral, will be compatible with the PS5. However, instead of supporting PS5-only titles, it's a "PS4 title compatibility feature". This is a bit disappointing.

Nishino: It's also a matter of ideology.

PSVR is supported by the PS4 compatibility feature. However, we're not going to simply put it away as "compatibility".

There's no way to say that people who buy PSVR won't be able to connect when they switch to PS5. I also believe that there is a "boost" benefit there, that the PS5 will improve the experience.

However, in answer to Nishida's question, I would say that we should expect the PS5 to provide a VR experience worthy of the PS5. I can't make any further comments, but I'd like to hope for it, .

To give direct feedback for Sony, post your comment in this blog post:
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's been clear that the demand is already there. Xbox is offering this option.

Why would Sony not give the PS5 a feature that the Xbox has? Is 1440p a complicated resolution to code?

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to say it will happen for 1440p but honestly my expectations are super low. The market trend will be more towards 4k etc now even more so as people will upgrade for the PS5 etc

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
So PS5 will do PS4 Pro Boost + mode for PSVR on supported titles, no PS5 exclusive PSVR titles thought. PS5 will get PSVR2 exclusives instead by the sounds of it as expected.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People have been requesting 1440p support since the PS4 released the better part of a decade ago. What more does Sony need?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
1440p is all about priority, for them it's clearly a low priority thing to implement but as he said, enough requests would bump that up

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
How much effort would supporting 1440p even take? Might as well have it at the start of the generation to have a solid base for game compatibility in the future

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
How many more people need to request, it's been my most requested feature since 2014.
When I saw xbox do it after that I thought ps5 would've had it for sure.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
There are way more 1440p monitors in the wild than there are 8k televisions yet they support 8K. What is this bs?

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
There are way more 1440p monitors in the wild than there are 8k televisions yet they support 8K. What is this bs?
Forgot about the ridiculous 8k push, makes this more ridiculous
less than 1% of the user base will have one of those sets when it actually means anything

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the PS5 doesn't actually support 8k output currently either. Regardless of what's on the box.
They have stated it's coming in an update, as opposed to stating this is coming
People barely own 4k sets, I doubt by a massive massive margin that 8k will be more prevalent in 2025 than 1440p for gamers

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
not everyone be gaming on a tv. especially if youre the type that streams or plays on a monitor.

its a really dumb choice to omit it.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
People have been requesting 1440p support since the PS4 released the better part of a decade ago. What more does Sony need?

Probably more people than just the few who are posting in a forum about it. If they would've received a high(er) number of requests, it obviously would have had a higher priority.

So everyone who wants it should actually request it and not just write in a forum that Sony is bad for not supporting it. Generally speaking of course, not something against your post.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
If VRR doesn't happen that would be an entirely different story and a massive shitshow on Sony's part. I'm sure VRR will show up soon, I hope.
VRR will be supported, its confirmed in the specification sheet and in the FAQ they say that the PS5 and the cable supports all HDMI 2.1 specifications. If its not there on day one, that is down to post launch system sofware update.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So PS5 will do PS4 Pro Boost + mode for PSVR on supported titles, no PS5 exclusive PSVR titles thought. PS5 will get PSVR2 exclusives instead by the sounds of it as expected.
Yep, this is what I always expected and is totally understandable.

Because the ps5 is so much better than the PS4 and because they are obviously working on a ps5 be headset and controllers, it makes sense to separate games so that when the headset comes out it will have games that are solely designed for that device instead of ps5 games being available that aren't designed for the ps5 headset.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
So Sony are not aware that most TVs except theirs have included a 1440p120 mode for a couple of years now?
Or that 1440p monitors are a much cheaper way to get access to 1440p120 VRR support?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Obviously not enough requests.

If you have a user base of like 110M+ and only like 5k people are requesting a feature will you listen to them?

They will need at least 10% of their base to request a feature, especially when it's a feature that they feel is purely cosmetic.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK

Because no doubt Sony has the release of 8k TVs in its roadmap that will be in the lifetime of the PS5...

People playing consoles on monitors is a small minority...

People should play on monitors as they are just better for gaming than TVs... But I play on PC so it's not overall a concern for me what PS5 supports..

I do however believe in options being a good thing so I feel like Sony could and should support 1440p...

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously not enough requests.

If you have a user base of like 110M+ and only like 5k people are requesting a feature will you listen to them?

They will need at least 10% of their base to request a feature, especially when it's a feature that they feel is purely cosmetic.
To be fair I thinks it's a bit more than 5k. For the last 4 years people have been asking for it in the ps4.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
My optimism for PSVR2 is the only reason i didn't buy a PSVR. I was kinda hoping it would release alongside the new console.

When it finally releases I'll have a damn good library to get through though!

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Really, how hard could it be to add ONE output resolution? It's just ONE resolution, not like ppl is asking to have custom resolution detection like Xbox 360 did (that console was able to output even at 1360x768 ppl, remember that).

For real... just add the freaking 1440p and end with it -__-"

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
To be fair I thinks it's a bit more than 5k. For the last 4 years people have been asking for it in the ps4.
I'm sure it is, that was just some hyperbole on my part. The important thing though is that it's not the hardest thing for them to implement. So if they aren't then it simply means the call for it hasn't been loud enough. That and they probably don't feel it's necessary.

And to be fair, they have a point... yes it would be great to support it, but the fact of the matter s that now people can get 50/55" 4K HDR TVs for as little as $300. I certainly can see how or why they aren't too interested in doing it.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
1440p 144Hz displays are basically the sweet spot between visuals and performance, if you can run a game at 4K 60 fps you can probably run it at 1440p 120-144 fps providing its not CPU-bound. 1080p is a big compromise compared to 1440p, and it sucks that 1080p output is the fall back used when games that target resolutions between 1440p and 4K could output at 1440p instead.

I would take 1440p 120Hz over 4K 60Hz any day. The PS5 having support for this would be excellent, I'm pretty disapointted that it doesn't have it but hopefully they will add it soon. My main display is a 1440p 144Hz monitor, and although I do have a 4K TV I want to have the option to use my 1440p display without having a compromised experience.