• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In this 15 tweet thread Kamiya basically talks about how funding and how Nintendo and SEGA owned the rights. Instead of SEGA partially funding Bayo 2 to which Nintendo stepped in, Bayonetta 3 is fully funded by Nintendo.

Also interesting tidbit, Nintendo permitted the Japanese dub created for Bayo 1 (for the Wii U port) for the Steam version.

EDIT: For easier reading since the thread wasn't properly formatted.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/963271450370236416

I made a Twitter moment so this can be preserved for posterity

Last edited:

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason we're even getting Bayonetta 3 is because Nintendo is footing the entire bill. Gotta give them credit for that.

No wonder they call it a Nintendo franchise when they have rights to 2/3 games exclusively

contologics

Oct 25, 2017
Kamiya opening up and speaking pretty candidly kind of warmed my heart. Can't wait to see the result of their hard work. Kudos to Ninty for funding Bayo3 as well.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Bayonetta 2 was originally multiplat or even started development with Sega funding it in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
All of it transcribed for the people who have been BLOCKED:

I've got something I want to tell you all. It's about Bayonetta 3.

We are a developer that creates games by signing contracts with publishers and receiving funds from them in order to cover development costs. For Bayonetta 1, we signed a contract with Sega and received funds from them, then we proposed a design for the game and entered production. All of the rights belong to Sega.

At the time, our company had only just been established, and we weren't properly equipped for multiplatform development, so after discussing with Sega, we decided to develop the game exclusively for Xbox 360. However, after that, one of Sega's trading partners ended up making a port for PS3, at Sega's behest. More recently, they also decided that a Steam version should be developed, which was released last year. Sega owns the rights to all of these versions.

When we started making Bayonetta 2, we initially received funds from Sega to develop the game for multiple platforms, but the project was halted due to circumstances at Sega. Nintendo then stepped in to continue funding the game, allowing us to finish it. As such, the rights belong to Sega and Nintendo. The rights owners decided the game should be made for Wii U. Nintendo was also kind enough to fund a port of Bayo 1 for Wii U, and they even allowed us to use the Japanese voice track we created for the Wii U version in the PC version of Bayo 1 as well.

I am extremely thankful to Nintendo for funding the game, and to Sega for allowing them to use the Bayonetta IP.

As for Bayonetta 3, it was decided from the start that the game was going to be developed using Nintendo's funding. Without their help, we would not have been able to kick off this project. All of the rights still belong to Sega and Nintendo. The rights owners decided that the game should be made for Switch. Game development is a business. Each company has its own circumstances and strategies. Sometimes this means games get made, sometimes it means they get cancelled. But I believe that every single person involved is dedicated to delivering the best possible experience. I know that, to me at least, that's one of the biggest goals when I set to work.

I cannot express how happy I am that we get to make Bayonetta 3, and we intend to do everything within our power to make it as good as it can be. That's all we can do, and we consider it our greatest mission.

It took a while for production of Bayonetta 3 to be okayed, but now that it has kicked off, I hope it will turn into a wonderful encounter for all of you.

Oct 25, 2017
Confirms that Bayonetta 2 didn't start on Wii U but wouldn't have come out without Nintendo funding the rest and that Bayonetta 3 is completely funded by Nintendo so it should have started development on Switch. Hope it releases next year, pretty excited to play through the first two games on Switch and to play the 3rd game

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since Kamiya didn't put it in a thread and there are some people who are blocked by Kamiya, here are his tweets. Read from bottom to top.

L6Vo7SI.png

OP
OP
Kindekuma

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kamiya usually isn't very open about these kinds of topics. Even when Scalebound got the axe he wasn't very talkative about it. I'm very excited for Bayonetta 3, I wonder if Nintendo is just handing a blank check to PlatinumGames.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And the tragic thing is, despite being laid out clear as day, people will still complain.
Yup. And not just complain. They will call everyone from Nintendo to Sega to Platinum to Kamiya himself every dirty word in the book for daring to make Bayonetta an exclusive. There's no getting through to some people.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Glad to see Kamiya so open. And now it should be even more clear to poeple why the PS3 version of Bayo 1 was such shit. There was no PS3 version planned by Platinum in the first place. It was a 360 only game.

And for those blaming Platinum and Nintendo for Bayo 2 and 3, BLAME SEGA. That's the main takeaway from all this. They are the ones who own the IP who refuse to support funding it

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Bayonetta 2 was originally multiplat or even started development with Sega funding it in the first place.
I remember in the immediate aftermath of the 2 for Wii U announcement, something that got a bit lost in the chaos was someone from Game Informer(?) saying that they had previously had a preview/story about Bayo 2 for other systems that they had to scrap.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of it transcribed:

I've got something I want to tell you all. It's about Bayonetta 3.

We are a developer that creates games by signing contracts with publishers and receiving funds from them in order to cover development costs. For Bayonetta 1, we signed a contract with Sega and received funds from them, then we proposed a design for the game and entered production. All of the rights belong to Sega.

At the time, our company had only just been established, and we weren't properly equipped for multiplatform development, so after discussing with Sega, we decided to develop the game exclusively for Xbox 360. However, after that, one of Sega's trading partners ended up making a port for PS3, at Sega's behest. More recently, they also decided that a Steam version should be developed, which was released last year. Sega owns the rights to all of these versions.

When we started making Bayonetta 2, we initially received funds from Sega to develop the game for multiple platforms, but the project was halted due to circumstances at Sega. Nintendo then stepped in to continue funding the game, allowing us to finish it. As such, the rights belong to Sega and Nintendo. The rights owners decided the game should be made for Wii U. Nintendo was also kind enough to fund a port of Bayo 1 for Wii U, and they even allowed us to use the Japanese voice track we created for the Wii U version in the PC version of Bayo 1 as well.

I am extremely thankful to Nintendo for funding the game, and to Sega for allowing them to use the Bayonetta IP.

As for Bayonetta 3, it was decided from the start that the game was going to be developed using Nintendo's funding. Without their help, we would not have been able to kick off this project. All of the rights still belong to Sega and Nintendo. The rights owners decided that the game should be made for Switch. Game development is a business. Each company has its own circumstances and strategies. Sometimes this means games get made, sometimes it means they get cancelled. But I believe that every single person involved is dedicated to delivering the best possible experience. I know that, to me at least, that's one of the biggest goals when I set to work.

I cannot express how happy I am that we get to make Bayonetta 3, and we intend to do everything within our power to make it as good as it can be. That's all we can do, and we consider it our greatest mission.

It took a while for production of Bayonetta 3 to be okayed, but now that it has kicked off, I hope it will turn into a wonderful encounter for all of you.
Jesus christ what have you done lol..

Websites are gonna copy paste this as a platinum games releases memo regarding Bayonetta 3's exclusivity

Oct 25, 2017
Kamiya usually isn't very open about these kinds of topics.
I mean he gets asked this shit like every week now, including one guy who made a twitter specifically to insult him about exclusivity.

Jesus christ what have you done lol..

Websites are gonna copy paste this as a platinum games releases memo regarding Bayonetta 3's exclusivity
He's been very clear about Switch exclusivity for the last few months now. Everyone with common sense knows it already.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting he is so open about Bayonetta. Maybe he will quit randomly blocking people for innocent tweets.

Prob not though lol.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
All information that should've been widely known (and common sense), but sadly people are still bothering him for ports.

Exclusivity (or certain games not appearing in another platform) is a circumstance that could happen because dozens of reaso and I wish people weren't using the term "moneyhat" so easily.

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like 2 and 3 could still be ported to PS4 if we just need Nintendo's approval. If they aren't just greedy businessmen, they will be happy to oblige to bring joy to more gamers everywhere. Lets get an Operation Rainfall style campaign going! #operationwitchhunt #fortheplayers

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like 2 and 3 could still be ported to PS4 if we just need Nintendo's approval. If they aren't just greedy businessmen, they will be happy to oblige to bring joy to more gamers everywhere. Lets get an Operation Rainfall style campaign going! #operationwitchhunt #fortheplayers
I don't think that's what Kamiya meant...like, at all, lol
I'm pretty sure that post is sarcasm cartridge.
Oops

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what made Sega pull the plug on Bayonetta 2, but I'm glad Nintendo stepped in and I'm glad that they're willing to fund Bayonetta 3. I'm sure Sega is more than fine with that arrangement, but as long as it holds, yeah. Don't expect Bayonetta on other platforms and don't badger everyone involved for a port, because it sure as hell ain't happening.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo allowing the use of the JP dub of Bayo 1 is interesting. Do they show up in the credits for the PC game?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated...but what's stopping Vanquish from getting console ports? Did it sell badly on Steam?

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
And the tragic thing is, despite being laid out clear as day, people will still complain.

people still beg for a Nintendo Switch port anytime a game is announced. And the Persona 5 port begging got out of control, so bad they had to address it saying it was a PS exclusive, much like Yakuza

people will still complain no matter what

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of like the idea of Bayonetta being considered a "Nintendo franchise".

She brings something new to the wide palette of their IPs. I'm glad she's found a home

Atrarock

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Modern nintendo is so... kinky these days. Near the end of xenoblade 2 and some of these outfits... hard to imagine the time when ppl were made about 'censorship' in localization lol.

And now nintendo is going open wallet completely for the queen.

Next thing nintendo is gonna fund a senran kagura exclusive, idk.

Ashy Larry

Nov 16, 2017
My takeaway from this is Bayo is going to be in the base roster for Smash 5

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, when Nintendo funded (continued) the sequel it was already in development, Bayonetta 2 was planned and started soon after Bayo 1 ended but SEGA cancelled development.
That was the official story since the announcement

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you know port begging isn't allowed or did i miss something.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very nice insight. We already knew most of it but it's good to see it coming from his mouth. I'll always be grateful and happy to see Nintendo funding 2 and now 3.

Also, it's great to see Kamiya so passionate about Bayonetta. I can't wait to see more of the game.