• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
It's not about "combat" it's about actual gameplay beyond just walking.

Well they had ladder climbing, rope climbing, hover boarding, motorcycles, trucks, resource collection, bridge construction, stealth combat, action combat, and 2 boss battles shown so far, stealth evasion of oil monsters. Like JFC what else do you guys need to be shown to prove it's not just walking?

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Ok, I need someone to explain me this. How do you beat the game?

When people tell me that the goal of the game is to fill out the map, there is no conclusion specifically for the player. In Zelda, you filled out the map to assist in your exploration that was fueled by destroying Ganon. Go find the divine beasts and then face Ganon. There's a very clear goal and a set progression and pacing to the game.

For DS, does you just walk around and deliver stuff until something happens? Or are you filling out the map for a clear objective like above? This is exactly the Sea of Theives and No Man's Sky mentality that people still have trouble with. This is why you get so many "what do you do in this game?" questions. Do you win the game if you delivery 10 packages? If you fill out the map? Does the game even end? What is the goal in this game? In SoT, you explored and do quests until you just got bored and give up. In No Man's Sky you explore and move from planet to planet pretty much until you got bored. In DS, do you just deliver packages and walk around until you get bored?

Go west, reconnect the cities and bring back the captured Amile so she can be president. Very clearly explained in the Briefing Trailer

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

When people tell me that the goal of the game is to fill out the map, there is no conclusion specifically for the player. In Zelda, you filled out the map to assist in your exploration that was fueled by destroying Ganon. Go find the divine beasts and then face Ganon. There's a very clear goal and a set progression and pacing to the game.

For DS, does you just walk around and deliver stuff until something happens? Or are you filling out the map for a clear objective like above? This is exactly the Sea of Theives and No Man's Sky mentality that people still have trouble with. This is why you get so many "what do you do in this game?" questions. Do you win the game if you delivery 10 packages? If you fill out the map? Does the game even end? What is the goal in this game? In SoT, you explored and do quests until you just got bored and give up. In No Man's Sky you explore and move from planet to planet pretty much until you got bored. In DS, do you just deliver packages and walk around until you get bored?
How do you beat an open world AAA game? Finish the campaign, do the main story missions.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The review thread for this game is going to bring down Era, possibly the internet.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I've read some of the interview before in another thread, but it seems like it had a slightly different translation.

There's this part about "fun starting at 50%" missing from that thread.

Now see what actually Kojima told.

Some people say it's almost like the movie Alien, where you are gradually finding out what the whole world is about, what you can do and not do. Maybe it gets really fun when you have completed 50 percent of the game. The player, like in shooters and other genres, go into the game with a known rule and you think you know what a game is about. I didn't want to have that feeling. Everyone should start from ground zero. Not knowing how to pick up and play the game. What I have shown makes you puzzled, but it all really makes sense when you play the game

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I actually have read that. I was just referring at the 50 percent part, which is interesting.
I don't see how that is much different to most games, particularly ones that focus on a lot of gear unlocks/new abilities/etc. Dishonored, Monster Hunter, DMC, God of War, MGS V are all fun in the beginning but really come into their own when you have a wider toolset, a better understanding of the mechanics, etc

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't see how that is much different to most games, particularly ones that focus on a lot of gear unlocks/new abilities/etc. Dishonored, Monster Hunter, DMC, God of War, MGS V are all fun in the beginning but really come into their own when you have a wider toolset, a better understanding of the mechanics, etc
For me, those games that I've played (MH, GoW, MGS) are already fun from the beginning. But honestly, it's probably just Kojima being Kojima. He was simply struggling to convey what's in his minds into words. As an inventory management freak, this game will be fun from the very start for me.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the spirit of your comment, but not with its wording. A game can have all the things you mention, and still feel like it's a walking simulator if you spend >50% of the time just walking, rather than interacting with any of the things that would make it not a walking simulator. When people call Death Stranding a walking simulator, they're obviously not talking about the parts where you don't walk; they're talking about the fact that, no matter what else is in the game, you sure seem to spend a lot of time just walking. And that sure sounds boring!

But even when you're 'just walking' there's so much more going on in the world , with your character, and ideally in the minds of players. Playing something like Everybody Goes The Rapture I'm not managing equipment & resources, considering the pros & cons of all the potential routes leading a destination, problem solving in real time to overcome the terrain and a litany of hazards, all the while wrestling with the emergent consequences of my choices.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The objective of the game is to connect the United Cities of America. All the cities disconected themselvs and are living in isolation, its our job to reconect them again. We start from the East side and will need to travel and connect all the cities all the way to the West. This is the main briefing of our objective, ofc stuff and plot twists might happen that change the objectives. The game is very story heavy, so you will not be roaming in the map without knowing what to do, but if you want to roam the map freely, and choose ur own path to connect all the cities, you can do it.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Kojima's push for this game to be "a new genre" or to "revolutionize gaming" is gonna end up making people hate the game more while playing it. It's also a double-edged sword; developers have immense pressure to showcase a game that does feel like a completely new thing, and players are gonna be absolutely baffled when it doesn't live up to its promises (as they are now).

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Call it The Order: 1866 Cycle:

- All previews indicate the game is little more than style over substance and lacking in satisfying gameplay

- The developers themselves make very alarming statements that call the gameplay into question:
I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it.
- "STOP TAKING THE QUOTE OUT OF CONTEXT"

- Game turns out to be a complete piece of shit, spawning such memorable videos

- A small band of diehard fans defend said piece of shit to this very day

- Even the story sucks ass

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

- All previews indicate the game is little more than style over substance and lacking in satisfying gameplay

- The developers themselves make very alarming statements that call the gameplay into question:

You posted this in multiple threads to troll? GROW UPPPPP.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Yeah, I actually have read that. I was just referring at the 50 percent part, which is interesting.

If you actually read the whole thing - then you would know that the 50% part is a supporting statement to the main key message of that quote, which is that the DS is focused on not giving the player a clear guiding post in the game's rulesets early on and want the player to discover for themselves what is possible/not possible in the game.

50% is an example of a possibility that a player might play the game not finding that X-factor them until only halfway in the game. Note the word "maybe". It's open-ended game design.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The review thread for this game is going to bring down Era, possibly the internet.
"You're just pretending to like this game"

Page after page after page of this repeated over and over. Mixed in with some random "words and deeds" and "pretentious" spam.

Anyone who says those are bad posts will be met with "Wow you're trying to shut down criticism and create an echo chamber!" or "You're part of a blind cult!"

Wish I were joking but that's literally what the thread will be.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
After watching the IGN translated version of the 50 minute preview. I think the traversal is A LOT more deep than people are thinking just from viewing it without contextualization. Kojima explains that you literally have to take balance into account and you use the left and right triggers to counterbalance on different terrain slopes. Your balance also effects how fast your stamina drains. There are tripping hazards as well as some terrain that is more slippery that can effect your balance.

This game is way deeper than the impression people are getting as far as I am able to tell by what Kojima is describing.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Well, you can call me a troll if you want. I can't stop you. But I'm entitled to think the game looks like shit, like it or not, and doing so doesn't mean I'm just saying it for reactions.
I'm not call you a troll for not like the game (idc), but we're not going to act like your original post is a normal reaction to not liking something. Aded on the the point that you posted the same post in multiple threads. Like come on thats not normal.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I'm not call you a troll for not like the game (idc), but we're not going to act like your original post is a normal reaction to not liking something. Aded on the the point that you posted the same post in multiple threads. Like come on that not normal.

Yes, people never make jokes about things they find ludicrous. Especially not on Resetera. And as mentioned, that thread was locked.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it was a completely garbage opinion. No need for anyone to accuse me of trolling.
The problem is you say that previews show the game has no substance, when in fact the potential problem with the game is that previews show an overwhelming amount of substance that could be very intimidating to take in.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Has anyone played it? I'm actually not aware of it happening if so. If not, why are you comparing it to The Order?

I'm not saying it looks like it plays like The Order. I'm saying there are all kinds of reasons to think the game is going to be bad, just as there were with The Order. Yet people here keep falling for these hyped up projects just because they look good.

Oct 25, 2017

The difference, at least to me, is that 1886 never looked appealing ever since they showed gameplay. You're right that there was a lot of "you can't jump to conclusions yet, wait for the full context!", but it wasn't me saying it. I didn't like how that game looked, still didn't play it to this day. I did buy it recently, though, so I will eventually give it a shot.

I think Death Stranding's gameplay looked like it had a ton of potential since our first glimpses of gameplay in previous trailers, and the 50 minute presentation at TGS completely confirmed what I already suspected.

Don't expect that much from the story, but I don't really care, to be completely honest. I'm a Kingdom Hearts fan, I'm pretty good at enjoying games while ignoring their stories.

Last edited:

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
If even you think it was a garbage opinion, why did you post it then? How is that not trolling?

Trolling is posting just to get a reaction. An opinion can be completely garbage (like thinking Battlefield Earth is a great film and so much better than Citizen Kane). If you genuinely believe it, posting it isn't trolling.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it looks like it plays like The Order. I'm saying there are all kinds of reasons to think the game is going to be bad, just as there were with The Order. Yet people here keep falling for these hyped up projects just because they look good.
I knew that The Order, Evolve, Destiny, and No Man's Sky would all be bad as soon as I saw their reveal trailers. I don't see anything to indicate DS will be bad. It will have abrasive elements though.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Well they had ladder climbing, rope climbing, hover boarding, motorcycles, trucks, resource collection, bridge construction, stealth combat, action combat, and 2 boss battles shown so far, stealth evasion of oil monsters. Like JFC what else do you guys need to be shown to prove it's not just walking?
I mean... most of the stuff you listed is still just traversing.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
I see a lot of people saying this, but I personally think they look pretty nice, at least. And I usually complain about gameplay animations.
I am not saying it's shit, but definitely subpar. We are now used to much better than that. Action animations are sped up and missing frames and jumping and running look arcady as hell.

It looks like something for early this gen or late last gen.

I would have not even noticed it if it wasn't for the great graphics, with that photorealistic look it's weird to see characters move like that

Jun 26, 2018
Trolling is posting just to get a reaction. An opinion can be completely garbage (like thinking Battlefield Earth is a great film and so much better than Citizen Kane). If you genuinely believe it, posting it isn't trolling.

You reposted the same post to an unrelated interview compared to the original thread, because the other one got locked. And you didn't even seem to believe it fully yourself.

I'd call that posting just to get a reaction. And you got a few.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I knew that The Order, Evolve, Destiny, and No Man's Sky would all be bad as soon as I saw their reveal trailers. I don't see anything to indicate DS will be bad. It will have abrasive elements though.

I think it doesn't look as obviously terrible as No Man's Sky or The Order, but I am personally getting more or less the same feeling. If it's bad, I doubt it will be as bad as those games, though.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Ignoring the breathe & depth of the traversal systems(that we've seen), there's a Stalker Boss always roaming the world searching for the player, terrorists patrolling, random BT attacks, profound world altering changes upon death, Hades. Like fucking what? Even on paper this game sounds like BOTW + SOTC +Alien Isolation w/some MGS sprinkled on top .

Again, I'll never fault someone for simply not finding this, or any game, appealing, but calling DS a walking sim at this stage is being ignorantly reductive at best, and purposefully misrepresenting the game at worst.

This post sums it up for even the laziest of detractors.
Calling it a walking sim is either ignorant or just stupid.