• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2019
It's actually just Japanese wordplay, Kojima played a hideous Columbo game back when he was a kid and that convinced him to enter the industry.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
Dude is genius, though I do feel people don't give enough credit to his team due to his status and the way he puts himself out there.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Yea its all fine and dandy until he did the whole Hideo Kojima bullshit chapters in MGSV.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything wrong with that? It's worked out for him and a lot of other people so far.

Not necessarily wrong, plus his hardcore fans absolutely bought into the fact he's an unprecedented genius that is behind every single original idea in his games. Cult of persona is not something I'm a fan of but undoubtedly a lot of people profit immensely from it, and I can't blame them. A million times smaller scale but I remember I was pretty famous in a certain creative game's community and I always tried my best to "sell" my creations by pointing out who I am. Then again those were solo creations, not team efforts.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure there's some ego I guess, but in a way that comes with being an outward public creative like him.

Why should Konami or a publisher get all the credit though? I know there's more to the team than Kojima but at least he IS a major creative force in these games. People don't bat an eye at movie directors being given huge credit, but Kojima does it and its ego? Eh. If Death Stranding actually works out then the dude has every right to demand a lot of credit with getting that studio going and pumping something out quicker than most big studios.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Love him or hate him, no other human being on the planet could direct a Hideo Kojima Game.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think it should be "A Kojima Productions Game." But that is just my belief that an entire team should be celebrated and not just the leader, but that basically goes against the grain sadly.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
A little background info: Konami was a snake-pit even in the early days when he joined. His co-workers said he would never get a game shipped because he lacked the technical skill.
So a lot of this is built on spite.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Not necessarily wrong, plus his hardcore fans absolutely bought into the fact he's an unprecedented genius that is behind every single original idea in his games. Cult of persona is not something I'm a fan of but undoubtedly a lot of people profit immensely from it, and I can't blame them. A million times smaller scale but I remember I was pretty famous in a certain creative game's community and I always tried my best to "sell" my creations by pointing out who I am. Then again those were solo creations, not team efforts.
I know his hardcore fans can get ridiculous at times but I'm sure there's nobody who legitimately thinks Kojima is fully responsible for his games. You only need to look as far as Shinkawa, who gets close to as much credit as Kojima does, to know that's not true.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
To me it represents that he's taking responsibility over everything that's in the game. He obviously didn't make the game alone but every single thing you see or do in the game is made with his input or approved by him. The same applies to any other author.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A little background info: Konami was a snake-pit even in the early days when he joined. His co-workers said he would never get a game shipped because he lacked the technical skill.
So a lot of this is built on spite.
Yep yep. Which was his primary motivation for making Snatcher.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
While obviously the games take hundreds of people to make, it's also undeniable that his games have a certain touch that is unique to all of them. You know to expect certain qualities when it comes to A Hideo Kojima Game. He's also built a studio from the ground up, managed it well, created and pushed a vision. This isn't to take away from anyone else who worked on the game, but it's clear that he is also very involved with every aspect.

Oct 25, 2017
Sid Meier is the same, its about brand recognition and its not a bad thing to do.
Sid Meier hasn't been that heavily involved with the games Fireaxis makes for almost 2 decades now.
They occasionally consult him on ideas and he may even do some prototyping but pretty much most of the heavy lifting is done by other people now.
"A Hideo Kojima game" even now that it's made by a huge team still has Kojima's fingerprints all over it to this day.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, its amazing how different Kojima is to Yoko Taro, for example. Taro praises the people who actually make the games, like the developers and artists, and just jokes around that he just get drunk and write stuff.

Its no wonder when people asked what he thought of Kojima he just laughed.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Tomokazu Fukushima reading Kojima's twitter like:

giphy.gif

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that some people are kind of trashing him because he does this. Other collaborative forms of art and media can and do regularly get associated with a single person. Director's get the lion's share of credit (and blame) on films, you can have a "solo" project for a musician where there are other members who play but are not widely known or cared about on the same level. But when Kojima does it it's somehow... worse, just doesn't make sense.

Oct 27, 2017
You ever see the making of Star Wars where George Lucas walls into a concept art room?

There are 5 alien designs on the wall and George just takes a marker and circles the ones he likes?

Talented artists put effort into creating content but at the end of the day, a really involved director will decide what goes in and what doesn't.

With that level of credit also comes a high level of responsibility. No one is blaming the crew for how bad the prequel Star Wars movies are.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
but isn't that generally the mentality in Japan with many Studios & Projects - The Director beeing a Rockstar. (not on the level of Kojima but still)

Yoko Taro, Miyazaki, Ueda, Nomura, Sakaguchi, Kamiya - When it comes to Japan, there is often that certain Face/Director that represents a Project and its quality.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that some people are kind of trashing him because he does this. Other collaborative forms of art and media can and do regularly get associated with a single person. Director's get the lion's share of the credit (and blame) on films, you can have a "solo" project for a musician where there are other members who play but are not widely known or cared about on the same level. But when Kojima does it it's somehow... worse, just doesn't make sense.

You don't usually see directors and other leaders in art and media remembering you all the time that it was them that made stuff X. You know it was them.

I wouldn't really mind if Kojima hasn't got really worse in the last few years. Metal Gear V, for example, bordered on parody on the number of times you saw "DIRECTED BY HIDEO KOJIMA" every 10 minutes on the screen.

Besides, the storytelling in MGS games fell of a cliff since Fukushima got killed by Yakuza (Its the only explanation for the guy disappearing from the face of the earth like he did), which leads me to believe that the amazing "Real life but with some anime crazy sprinkled in" stories we got since Metal Gear Solid was actually written by him and not Kojima.

The "Kojima unleashed" that so many people love its the one that actually gave us this.

giphy.gif
1517503501471.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.