• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Hideo Kojima: Don't get me wrong, I'm always quick. It's like, three years? I can't really say anything about Sony right now...maybe it will take 8 years, or maybe 10 years for first-party titles, like Nintendo as well. Cyberpunk has probably been worked on for more than 8 years. I've created in three years. When I was creating Metal Gear Solid 5, I needed more time because I had to produce the engine, as well as produce other titles.

So, if you looked back at the interviews three or four years ago, I'm as consistent as I said about game design... I'm kind of very efficient in the way I make games in a short time. Every day, every hour, I decide right or left. I won't say, "I'll think about it" or "let's think about it," I make a decision on the spot. So, that's one reason I don't outsource so much because you have to answer emails and wait for answers, that's why I do it in house as much as possible.

One of the reasons it's fast is because I do all the planning, design, and produce, and that kind of forces me to make quick decisions. There's no time lag. Like other developers might have different people doing boss battles, and different people doing the cutscenes--it's a bit chaotic when they have to pull everything together. But our team is only about 80 people, usually other big teams are 300 or 600. So that's what--with the short amount of time and [fewer] amount of people, and the direct feedback I give--allows me to make this game in this time.

Oct 27, 2017
So, 80 people, I wondered how big KojiPro was exactly. Of course there must be a lot of outsourcing (despite what Kojima says, the ending credits will certainly show this) and tons of help from SIE's services on top of that, but still.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't doubt that he streamlines some things and I love his games but isn't three years a pretty normal turnaround these days for big studios?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
80 people sounds impressive. I assume there was a lot of outsourcing, but still very impressive nonetheless.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
"So, that's one reason I don't outsource so much because you have to answer emails and wait for answers, that's why I do it in house as much as possible."
weird, i assumed they have a bunch of GG and VASG developers assisting development.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
The fact Death Stranding is out in November already is still shocking. If you told me this a few month after it first got announced I'd still think this wouldn't be coming till Next Gen lol

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
80 people is a very small team given the work shown so far. Ubisoft can have up to 400 people on some projects.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess everyone on his team follows his vision which is why they are able to do this, but I hope there is not a lot of overtime (who am i kidding)

Oct 26, 2017
"So, that's one reason I don't outsource so much because you have to answer emails and wait for answers, that's why I do it in house as much as possible. "

Don't outsource so much =/= not outsourcing.

There are no AAA games made without outsourcing assets to other studios.

80 people is a very small team given the work shown so far. Ubisoft can have up to 400 people on some projects.

1000*

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of outsourcing then
Metal Gear V was heavily outsourced. Kojima is being dishonest here to the point where he's trying to justify top billing (aka plastering his name over things).

He makes it sound like he's the source of all the design, every bit and the people around him just execute that. His ego knows no bounds.

When I was creating Metal Gear Solid 5, I needed more time because I had to produce the engine, as well as produce other titles.

I don't think Kojima is an engine programmer.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
80 people is fucking crazy

not having to make an engine from scratch probably helped a whole bunch

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is outsourcing another way to say crunch?
He previously said the team were in a crunch period a few months ago. So crunch is going for a while and at 80 people (according to him) that won't be good for anyone's mental or physical health.

As of Aug 1, he was still in crunch time

And lol describing himself as a tiny indie.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear V was heavily outsourced. Kojima is being dishonest here to the point where he's trying to justify top billing (aka plastering his name over things).

He makes it sound like he's the source of all the design, every bit and the people around him just execute that. His ego knows no bounds.

He hired Julien Merceron for that, but after MGS V he left for Bandai Namco

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
So seems like a tight team built around his creative vision...others providing less creative input than in other studios maybe?

Yeah, also very likely they are getting support from Sony and also outsourcing for asset creation, etc. But even that is a lot smaller core team than for many other big games and a shorter dev time.

Oct 26, 2017
"So, that's one reason I don't outsource so much because you have to answer emails and wait for answers, that's why I do it in house as much as possible."
weird, i assumed they have a bunch of GG and VASG developers assisting development.

Wait for endgame credits and you will see a couple of studios assisting the development, like pretty much every AAA game there.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Nothing about his release schedule is fast
umm what? he got his engine in H2 2016, released in H2 2019, he didnt work with that engine before, which means he did pre prodcution (for a new ip), learned the engine and made the entire game all in 3 years. Most games take from pre process to laucnh around 5 years. so this is insanely fast.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Well he's been making games for 35 years, longer than most people here have been alive. I'm sure he has perfected the art of game development and time management by now.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
At this rate with Kojima and Death Stranding threads we gonna have [READ STAFF POST] tag in each thread title Epic Games Store threads style, aren't we?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

This was said by the former Konami Technology Director, who was the lead on 🦊 Engine.

Something not many know is that after Metal Gear Solid 4 was finished and work on Fox Engine started Kojima-san was among those who designed the technology. He's a true technology enthusiast, and he wanted an engine that could represent him and that allowed him to deliver the experiences he aspired to create.

Citation: https://www.dualshockers.com/hideo-...e-lead-tells-his-experience-working-with-him/

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
At this rate with Kojima and Death Stranding threads we gonna have [READ STAFF POST] tag in each thread title Epic Games Store threads style, aren't we?
i would rather that tbh, the shit posting and hating on developers at this point it is seriously embarrassing reading any thread about Death Stranding or kojima.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about his release schedule is fast
Come on, In the 21 years since MGS came out his studio and team have developed or produced a lot of games-

Metal Gear Solid- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5:Ground Zeroes, 5: the Phantom Pain, Portable Op's, Peace Walker, Ghost Babel, The Twin Snakes, VR Missions
Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Zone of the Enders
1, 2, The Fist of Mars
Boktai 1, 2, 3
Lunar Knights
P.T.
Death Stranding

and Kojima Productions put out titles almost every year for the last 10 he was at Konami-

2006 Metal Gear Acid 2 & Metal Gear Solid Portable Op's
2007 Lunar Knights
2008 Metal Gear Solid 4
2010 Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
2011 Metal Gear Solid HD collection
2012 Zone of the Enders HD collection & MGS: Social Op's
2013 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
2014 Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes & P.T.
2015 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Come on, In the 21 years since MGS came out his studio and team have developed or produced a lot of games-

Metal Gear Solid- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5:Ground Zeroes, 5: the Phantom Pain, Portable Op's, Peace Walker, Ghost Babel, The Twin Snakes, VR Missions
Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Zone of the Enders
1, 2, The Fist of Mars
Boktai 1, 2, 3
Lunar Knights
P.T.
Death Stranding

and Kojima Productions put out titles almost every year for the last 10 he was at Konami-

2006 Metal Gear Acid 2 & Metal Gear Solid Portable Op's
2007 Lunar Knights
2008 Metal Gear Solid 4
2010 Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
2011 Metal Gear Solid HD collection
2012 Zone of the Enders HD collection & MGS: Social Op's
2013 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
2014 Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes & P.T.
2015 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Metal Gear Rising wasn't exactly fast