• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
"It was three years and nine months ago that I struck out on my own," Kojima told Famitsu. "At that time, I was 53 years old. That's an age in which you'd retire, right? My family members were also against the idea [of me setting up a new studio]. I was a 53-year-old middle-aged guy, I didn't have any money or much of anything else, and it was just me saying I was going to make this open-world game."

According to Kojima, there were doubters that anyone thought the game would be good. "The reason for that is that there hasn't been a single world-famous game designer who has had success after striking out on their own."

"Even when I went to the bank, I couldn't borrow money," he continued. "They said, 'We know you're renowned, but you don't have any actual results.' This is the kind of country Japan is."

"But then, there was a banker at the biggest bank [in Japan] who was a huge fan of mine, and I got the financing."

To give confidence to the families of the staff he was hiring, Kojima wanted to set up the studio in a nice building. That way, he said, it would look like the company was going to be successful, and husbands and wives of his employees would be less inclined to worry. But usually, whenever he'd find a good building, he'd eventually be asked, "What is Kojima Productions?"

In Japan, Kojima isn't as famous as someone like Hayao Miyazaki, so it seems like many landlords were unfamiliar with the studio's previous iteration and his work. But out of those desirable locations, he once again lucked out in finding a fan and was able to move into the studio's current location.

"The reason why I'm who I am now is because of the thirty years I had at Konami," Kojima told Famitsu. "I am grateful to Konami, and I cannot deny that connection."

Thank Konami if old

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is he going aroung looking for financing if he signed the deal with Sony? What did sony do exactly lol

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
At quick glance I thought the thread title was: Hideo Kojima: "I am grateful to Kojima"

I was like, yeah, that's about right.

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
I'm a big fan, but I swear everytime he speaks it feels self indulgent and arrogant as fuck. Is it lost in translation again? You can not be humble in Japanese?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Why is he going aroung looking for financing if he signed the deal with Sony? What did sony do exactly lol

Sony aren't financing the whole studio, the office space and paying ~80 staff members for years. They've done a deal on one game that presumably involves a lot of marketing spend.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan, but I swear everytime he speaks it feels self indulgent and arrogant as fuck. Is it lost in translation again? You can not be humble in Japanese?

My reading from this interview left me thinking that he's relatively humble about his status, despite being relatively well-known in the sphere of videogames.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
According to Kojima, there were doubters that anyone thought the game would be good.

And I wasn't one of them, Lord Kojima. I knew. I knew.

Sounds to me like the problem is within yourself, not Kojima.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering the same thing. Of the quotes mentioned in the OP, I don't see Sony's name. If he found financing from a Japanese bank and was given an office by another fan, what is Sony's involvement?

Never mind, someone mentioned above.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really? No money?

like, I love the guy but, seriously? Thats some bullshit.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
"That's an age in which you'd retire, right?"

Retirement age in Spain is 68, and I won't be able to retire till 70 (or later) lmao.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima : "I am grateful to Konami."
Era: " God he's arrogant as fuck!!"

I still dont' get the hate this man gets on here.

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
My reading from this interview left me thinking that he's relatively humble about his status, despite being relatively well-known in the sphere of videogames.
I can sort of see this angle, but I also see an awful lot of "I did this alone and nobody helped". As someone said, maybe I'm reading this from my cultural background of course. Maybe I'm misreading.
I also have a hard time believing he had no money and no support. The day he was out of Konami, Andrew House rushed to post this famous youtube video that was obviously a blank check.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is publishing this right? Its nice that Kojima stayed independent but the risks that come with it are enormous. The guy must have worked his ass off to get this game up and running with a personal bank loan. I hope for the best but I think the game will sell plenty of copies.

May 17, 2018
"Even when I went to the bank, I couldn't borrow money," he continued. "They said, 'We know you're renowned, but you don't have any actual results.' This is the kind of country Japan is."

Imagine being Hideo Kojima and not having any money. What the hell is up with Japan?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

He's saying that he's basically a nobody in Japan contrary to popular belief, that he wouldn't be who he was today without Konami but somehow he's arrogant?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how expensive Death Stranding is with all those actors? I wonder who will entertain his endevours after Sony.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being Hideo Kojima and not having any money. What the hell is up with Japan?

Even most of the long time Nintendo legends earn a regular salary from what I remember reading a few years. They really don't get paid much making video games in Japan. The money goes to the companies and execs.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Did you forget to add the /s?

Konami treated him and his team like shit, they don't deserve his gratitude but he's humble enough to admit how much he owes to them anyway.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Do some of you think game devs are rich or something? I mean what the hell.

Starting a game company and hiring staff you think that costs a little?