• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wow Kojima! You really overcame a hard career of games that went unadvertised and unplayed! Love to see your first good game finally coming against all odds at retirement age. Indie king. /s

TheDudePT

Banned
Oct 3, 2019
Portugal
People talking about "retiring at 53":

He didn't work the regular 9-5, he worked crunch videogame project leader in japan hours. Which is probably a lot.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't know, but I do. Also kindly tell me the Hideo Kojima game that wasn't good.
There's a difference between having confidence given a track record that something may be good and confidently proclaiming that something you have yet to experience is good, especially one that's completely new and devoid of similarities to an existing franchise.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is he going aroung looking for financing if he signed the deal with Sony? What did sony do exactly lol

I think Sony paid for the games development, whilst he's talking about the funding he needed to set up the studio itself. Eg, rent, rates, initial salary, equipment and so on.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a big fan, but I swear everytime he speaks it feels self indulgent and arrogant as fuck. Is it lost in translation again? You can not be humble in Japanese?
Sorry to single you out, there are more examples ^^
So the guy says he is grateful for Konami even after what happened, and after ages of Fuck Konami everywhere on this site, and we still get fucking "So pretentious" in a thread like this?
Itv talks about how he wanted to have the best office for his staff, and to be able to make their families feel secure seeing their loved one working in a nice , new modern office, bit nooooo, it reeks of arrogance. LOL I can't with some of you ^^

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Wow Kojima! You really overcame a hard career of games that went unadvertised and unplayed! Love to see your first good game finally coming against all odds at retirement age. Indie king. /s
512791858200707094.png

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
There's a difference between having confidence given a track record that something may be good and confidently proclaiming that something you have yet to experience is good, especially one that's completely new and devoid of similarities to an existing franchise.

It's interesting that you're telling me I can't say the game is going to be good because I haven't played it, while in the same breath saying the game is "devoid of similarities to an existing franchise" as if you have played it.

Don't talk out of your ass to me, I recognize bullshit instantly.

Oct 26, 2017
Did you forget to add the /s?

Konami treated him and his team like shit, they don't deserve his gratitude but he's humble enough to admit how much he owes to them anyway.

Sure Konami treated him like shit in the last years, but hey, the fact that Kojima and Metal Gear are so important is because of Konami funding and support since 1987, people can shit on Konami as much as they like, but without Konami, no Kojima and no MGS.

Yes, "they don't deserve his gratitude" after funding all the Metal Gear games for 30 years.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that you're telling me I can't say the game is going to be good because I haven't played it, while in the same breath saying the game is "devoid of similarities to an existing franchise" as if you have played it.

Don't talk out of your ass to me, I recognize bullshit instantly.
I didn't realize Death Stranding was Metal Gear Solid.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Is there any story of people working with Kojima that hates him? Everything I see around him is people falling in love with him but some people on the internet thinks he's a piece of trash.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
It's honestly really cool that this whole new studio endeavor was made possible because of the people that believed in him. Really like the bits about the financing

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a big fan, but I swear everytime he speaks it feels self indulgent and arrogant as fuck. Is it lost in translation again? You can not be humble in Japanese?

Is this confirmation bias because you've already made up your mind about disliking the guy? Or perhaps it's that you dislike that he's successful or admired? Because in an interview where he is grateful to the company that fired him, where he talks about not having money, and where he talks about borrowing money beyond his means to pay for a studio to make his staff and their families feel more secure, I don't understand where you draw the conclusion of arrogance.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any story of people working with Kojima that hates him? Everything I see around him is people falling in love with him but some people on the internet thinks he's a piece of trash.

The only people that hate him are Konami execs and people who don't like his games or fame.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I didn't realize Death Stranding was Metal Gear Solid.

I didn't realize anyone said it was.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize anyone said it was.

Once again I didn't realize that Death Stranding was Metal Gear Solid.
If you can't get over the fact that I was clearly referring to the fact that this is an entirely new project and that there's a difference between expecting something to be good and saying something is good that you have yet to play, then that's on you. I expect the game to be good as well but I have no idea what the experience will be until I play it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure Konami treated him like shit in the last years, but hey, the fact that Kojima and Metal Gear are so important is because of Konami funding and support since 1987, people can shit on Konami as much as they like, but without Konami, no Kojima and no MGS.

Yes, "they don't deserve his gratitude" after funding all the Metal Gear games for 30 years.

They don't deserve his public gratitude now, no, not after how they treated him and his team, but it's still cool of Kojima to do that.

And the poster I was responding to was claiming Kojima was being self indulgent and arrogant here, that's the point I was refuting.

Oct 26, 2017
They don't deserve his public gratitude now, no, not after how they treated him and his team, but it's still cool of Kojima to do that.

This is what are you saying, Kojima says the exact opposite and i'll stick with the man that worked for over 30 years in the company and is aware at how Konami was supportive for him.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017

Funny, I read his quotes exactly the opposite. I don't see anything he actually said as arrogant at all.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what are you saying, Kojima says the exact opposite and i'll stick with the man that worked for over 30 years in the company and is aware at how Konami was supportive for him.

And I can recognise how much Konami did for Kojima but still say fuck em for how they treated him and his team at the end.

Kojima's just classier that's all.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah, even if things turned sour at the end, Konami is basically his whole career, three decades of it. And there's no point in holding onto a grudge over it, at least publicly. I'm sure he's not happy about how things went down, but better to try to move on than wallow in that negativity.

The mild hostility in this thread is weird. Don't know what that's about. The quotes in this article don't seem to warrant any of that.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Once again I didn't realize that Death Stranding was Metal Gear Solid.
If you can't get over the fact that I was clearly referring to the fact that this is an entirely new project and that there's a difference between expecting something to be good and saying something is good that you have yet to play, then that's on you. I expect the game to be good as well but I have no idea what the experience will be until I play it.

Once again no one said the game was Metal Gear Solid. The only one saying that is you. How old are you, 15 or so? That makes sense since you seem to think the only thing Hideo Kojima ever made was Metal Gear Solid. Well I've been around a long time. I said name me the Hideo Kojima game that wasn't good. I don't only know Metal Gear Solid. I go back to Snatcher, to Policenauts. Hideo Kojima was a great before Metal Gear Solid. I didn't bring up Metal Gear Solid, YOU did.

And as long as you're mentioning Metal Gear Solid, you have NO WAY IN FUCK OF KNOWING what similarities Death Stranding will have to the game, because as you keep telling me I haven't played it, NEITHER HAVE YOU. So if you're going to in the same breath tell someone they can't say the game will be good if they haven't played it, don't fucking say the game is "devoid of similarities to an existing franchise" when YOU haven't played it to even fucking know that.

It's quite simple chief. You've been hoisted by your own petard. Deal with it.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
User Banned (1 Month): Constant Antagonizing Behavior; Numerous Prior Bans for Trolling and Hostility
Good for him, he's been there for 30 years, I cannot imagine anything but

Please consider

Bathing and brushing your teeth, including the back row

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People have a real hard on for hating on the guy around here.

Anyway, so glad he found his footing quickly and we are getting a big game from his team. Instead of being stuck making mobile games or something.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once again no one said the game was Metal Gear Solid. The only one saying that is you. How old are you, 15 or so? That makes sense since you seem to think the only thing Hideo Kojima ever made was Metal Gear Solid. Well I've been around a long time. I said name me the Hideo Kojima game that wasn't good. I don't only know Metal Gear Solid. I go back to Snatcher, to Policenauts. Hideo Kojima was a great before Metal Gear Solid. I didn't bring up Metal Gear Solid, YOU did.

And as long as you're mentioning Metal Gear Solid, you have NO WAY IN FUCK OF KNOWING what similarities Death Stranding will have to the game, because as you keep telling me I haven't played it, NEITHER HAVE YOU. So if you're going to in the same breath tell someone they can't say the game will be good if they haven't played it, don't fucking say the game is "devoid of similarities to an existing franchise" when YOU haven't played it to even fucking know that.

It's quite simple chief. You've been hoisted by your own petard. Deal with it.
I use Metal Gear Solid as an example, not to suggest that's the only thing he's ever made. And once again this is still an entirely new project. Renowned artists who have multiple works of success still have fumbles. To suggest that you know the game is going to be amazing when you haven't played it is silly. Also you're very hostile and blinded by passion.

I'll reiterate that I'm anticipating the game to be good but I have no way of knowing until I play it.

And you can keep yelling with caps. The only person who looks like he's 15 here is you.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Spot on imo, it's precisely because almost everyone who worked with has nothing but praises to him, that a certain part of the internet aidoence who never met the guy will tell you how much they hate him because reason. Basically the bitch eating crackers stuff

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What? There's literally nothing in there that's cocky. He's literally just explaining what happened. Relax with the bitch crackers, there's too many thrown around every single Kojima thread.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
A few weeks ago I saw a (now deleted) tweet from a video game industry person (I remember who it was but for their sake I won't throw them under the bus as they probably deleted it for a reason) in response to someone asking if Japanese game developer personas were anything like their actual attitude in their non-public life, and the tweet said something along the lines of "If people knew the real Kojima, he wouldn't be nearly as beloved." Maybe this just means he's very plain/boring in his private life, but since it was deleted, it makes me think it might be more dark.

Re-reading my post before I post it, I know I sound crazy and no one has any reason to believe me, but I'm truly not one to lie about this sort of thing hahaha

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I probably don't know the story, but wasn't it only that Hayter was just mad that Kojima went withSutherland instead of him for MGSV? If there is more please enlighten me :)
For me with what I know (written above) it's kinda of the same thing that happened with Joosten on DS. He initially contacted her to work on the game, but then never reached back, and she thinks it's because he managed to get Lea Seydoux instead. However she's not mad at him at all and still talks positively of him

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Really? No money?

like, I love the guy but, seriously? Thats some bullshit.

Yeah, dude has money. That's the only part I laugh at.

Even most of the long time Nintendo legends earn a regular salary from what I remember reading a few years. They really don't get paid much making video games in Japan. The money goes to the companies and execs.

Kojima was an executive at Konami, he was a frickin' Vice President.

Kojima fans putting in work lmao

Glad he got a loan and a good studio location thanks to that.

Do you think Kojima has enough money to finance a game like DS by himself?

No.

But, he proably had enough money on his own to start a new studio and hire staff. However, he's no dummy. Never tie up your personal earnings into a new venture when you can get a loan. Kojima's always two steps ahead.