• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Hatred for Kojima by some people verges on irrational. The guys could walk past them in the street and say "hello" and they'd find a way to spin it as act of aggression worthy of murdering him over.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima fans putting in work lmao

Glad he got a loan and a good studio location thanks to that.

Do you think Kojima has enough money to finance a game like DS by himself?

Of course not, however, thats not the conversation. Hes selling himself as an everyman indie developer with no recourses which is ludicrous and laughable regardless of how Japan operates.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
People really thought sony were financing the whole studio? It wouln't be any different from a first party studio at that point. They provided the graphics engine and are putting a lot of money into marketing.

Really? No money?

like, I love the guy but, seriously? Thats some bullshit.

I think he means money on the scale that is necessary to build a studio and pay dozens of people for years, not that he's poor. We're talking many millions here.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, dude has money. That's the only part I laugh at.

Kojima was an executive at Konami, he was a frickin' Vice President.

No.

But, he proably had enough money on his own to start a new studio and hire staff. However, he's no dummy. Never tie up your personal earnings into a new venture when you can get a loan. Kojima's always two steps ahead.

yea, but he wasn't VP for a long time iirc. His position was soon taken over by some other guy who made a fortune for Konami in the mobile division.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of course not, however, thats not the conversation. Hes selling himself as an everyman indie developer with no recourses which is ludicrous and laughable regardless of how Japan operates.

He's not selling himself as anything, he's just giving his account of how events unfolded for him.

You can claim it's ludicrous all you want, but by his own admission he didn't have the funds for a new studio, and relied on a bank loan to pay for it, a loan which was rejected by all the Japanese banks ge visited bar one.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
No.

But, he proably had enough money on his own to start a new studio and hire staff. However, he's no dummy. Never tie up your personal earnings into a new venture when you can get a loan. Kojima's always two steps ahead.

I mean sure, he certainly has some great savings but like you said he would be pretty dumb to put most of it on the line to make a new game. That's how I read the "no money" line.

Indie developers don't go make a game with the scope of Death Stranding. He always said he wanted to go big when he left Konami since that was what his fans were expecting of him. He has no money for that and has to ask someone to finance him. That's it.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
A few weeks ago I saw a (now deleted) tweet from a video game industry person (I remember who it was but for their sake I won't throw them under the bus as they probably deleted it for a reason) in response to someone asking if Japanese game developer personas were anything like their actual attitude in their non-public life, and the tweet said something along the lines of "If people knew the real Kojima, he wouldn't be nearly as beloved." Maybe this just means he's very plain/boring in his private life, but since it was deleted, it makes me think it might be more dark.

Re-reading my post before I post it, I know I sound crazy and no one has any reason to believe me, but I'm truly not one to lie about this sort of thing hahaha

I mean, it's extremely likely that Kojima is not like we see him but I don't think we have information enough to think he's garbage, on the contrary.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
I think Kojima is talking building a AAA studio and funding a big AAA game money, not personal wealth to live well money.

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, a true rags to riches story for Kojima. He was literally "unemployed" for 5 months before signing with Sony. Like, c'mon dude. There are legitimate indie devs who are actually struggling yet we continue to prop Kojima up as some underdog story.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
Fascinating to hear him say that he had no Money after leaving Konami. If true, it's a damn shame.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
KOJIMA INVENTED GRATEFULNESS

Do you know any example?

I was wondering about that myself.
Sid Meier with Firaxis. Peter Molyneaux with Lionhead. Sakaguchi with Mistwalker. Tim Schafer with Double Fine.

I'd say even Ron Gilbert.

Kojima is the usual douche.

Do some of you think game devs are rich or something? I mean what the hell.

Starting a game company and hiring staff you think that costs a little?
Some are millionaires. Cliff Blezisnki. Todd Howard. Randy Pitchford.

Imagine being Hideo Kojima and not having any money. What the hell is up with Japan?
He should had put his name on some million-seller videogames in these last 20 years. /s

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Hatred for Kojima by some people verges on irrational. The guys could walk past them in the street and say "hello" and they'd find a way to spin it as act of aggression worthy of murdering him over.
It would probably go something like this :

a-nice-day.png

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
"The reason for that is that there hasn't been a single world-famous game designer who has had success after striking out on their own."
Not even guys like Avellone, Roberts, Spector, Fargo, Sakaguchi, Sakurai, Taro, Ueda...?

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
If publishers/financiers hated him as much as the internet does, coupled with the fallout/rumors from Konami about mismanagement of funding, I can absolutely see having trouble funding a new studio and AAA title.

At this point, all he had was his credibility to deliver which apparently means fuck all to a lot of people.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Do you know any example?

I was wondering about that myself.
Off the top of my head Yoshiki Okamoto (ex-Capcom). While his first venture (Game Republic) went bankrupt he came back strong when he made Monster Strike for Mixi. Monster Strike has probably made more money than the entire Metal Gear series combined.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
He would probably assess that he invented "hello" and nobody has ever said "hello" before him. And he couldn't even speak before he said "hello":

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
No one can really deny their experience, and the connections they've made, no matter how much they hate previous jobs. Anyone, no matter their career, knows that feeling. I love the opportunities I was given in past companies, even if I'm glad I'm not there anymore. I was afforded amazing opportunities that made me who I am today.

So yeah, pretty normal statement. He appreciates his roots. He'd be crazy to disavow that.

Imagine being Hideo Kojima and not having any money. What the hell is up with Japan?
This thread is a wild ride. Do y'all think creators are rock stars or something?? They're just creative people that have to find ways to fund their games.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I use Metal Gear Solid as an example, not to suggest that's the only thing he's ever made.

You brought up Metal Gear Solid to suggest Death Stranding is "devoid of similarities" to it. You don't know that. You haven't played it.

And once again this is still an entirely new project. Renowned artists who have multiple works of success still have fumbles. To suggest that you know the game is going to be amazing when you haven't played it is silly.

To suggest you know Death Stranding is "devoid of similarities" to his previous work when you haven't played it is silly.

I'll reiterate that I'm anticipating the game to be good but I have no way of knowing until I play it.

I'll reiterate that as you say I don't know if Death Stranding is good because I haven't played it, YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING if Death Stranding is "devoid of similarities" to his previous work because YOU haven't played it.

You can't tell me what I can and can't say because I haven't played it, while in the same breath pulling bullshit out of your ass that you don't know about because YOU haven't played it.

You've been hoisted on your own petard.

Metal Gear Solid 4? 5? Peace Walker?

Yes, I've played them. I said name the bad Hideo Kojima games.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Do some of you think game devs are rich or something? I mean what the hell.

Starting a game company and hiring staff you think that costs a little?
People like Kojima who start their own studios do not spend their own money.
They have investors and publishers and backers who pay for everything.

The financial difficulty, if any, tends to come from them taking a very small salary so that they can hire more people. They make up for this by having equity in the company.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Making a AAA game starting with no studio in 3 years is easy because he has connections! /s
The best(worst?) part is if he said the total opposite (it was so easy for me to go independant, create a studio and a brand new IP in 3 years, thanks to the connections I made during my carreer) the same people would spit on him the same, calling him pretentious etc

pharmboy044

Oct 27, 2017
A few weeks ago I saw a (now deleted) tweet from a video game industry person (I remember who it was but for their sake I won't throw them under the bus as they probably deleted it for a reason) in response to someone asking if Japanese game developer personas were anything like their actual attitude in their non-public life, and the tweet said something along the lines of "If people knew the real Kojima, he wouldn't be nearly as beloved." Maybe this just means he's very plain/boring in his private life, but since it was deleted, it makes me think it might be more dark.

Re-reading my post before I post it, I know I sound crazy and no one has any reason to believe me, but I'm truly not one to lie about this sort of thing hahaha
I also read that tweet and know who you are talking about. I actually was going to post that but good thing I saw your post before I did that.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You brought up Metal Gear Solid to suggest Death Stranding is "devoid of similarities" to it. You don't know that. You haven't played it.

To suggest you know Death Stranding is "devoid of similarities" to his previous work when you haven't played it is silly.

I'll reiterate that as you say I don't know if Death Stranding is good because I haven't played it, YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING if Death Stranding is "devoid of similarities" to his previous work because YOU haven't played it.

You can't tell me what I can and can't say because I haven't played it, while in the same breath pulling bullshit out of your ass that you don't know about because YOU haven't played it.

When I said devoid of similarities, I meant that the game is not Metal Gear Solid. I should've instead said that Death Stranding isn't Metal Gear Solid and a new title to a new franchise. Regardless, after you quoted me the first time, I clarified what I meant, and here you are continuing something that isn't up for debate anymore. You're incredibly insulting for no reason. Take a jog, dude.

You continue to speak from a position as if you've played the game and therefore know exactly how it's going to be and insist that just because previous works were good, that no one is susceptible to producing something bad - ever. That's silly.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I did.

You've been hoisted by your own petard

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is publishing this right? Its nice that Kojima stayed independent but the risks that come with it are enormous. The guy must have worked his ass off to get this game up and running with a personal bank loan. I hope for the best but I think the game will sell plenty of copies.
Not only publishing. Sony is paying him for a first party game. They even gave him a Sony engine to speed up the AAA development. Sony owns Death Stranding. And I hope they continue this relationship for more awesome games.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you even say THAT? No one ever said the game WAS Metal Gear Solid. None of your shit made sense.
Neither did your post speaking as if you already played the game, which is why I quoted you in the first place. You're misplacing optimism for certainty, which is the only reason I decided to quote you.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Neither did your post speaking as if you already played the game, which is why I quoted you in the first place. You're misplacing optimism for certainty, which is the only reason I decided to quote you.

The point is you can't quote someone telling them don't say the game is good when they haven't played it, while at the same time saying what the game is NOT when you haven't played it either. You destroying any point you may have made by contradicting yourself in the same breath.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The point is you can't quote someone telling them don't say the game is good when they haven't played it, while at the same time saying what the game is NOT when you haven't played it either. You destroying any point you may have made by contradicting yourself in the same breath.
I didn't say the game is not good. That's something you decided to see in my post. My position was always optimism with the expectation that it can be either good or bad, and not to automatically assume that the reception is going to be good. I never contradicted myself. You have tunnel vision and are taking this as a personal affront.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Yes, a true rags to riches story for Kojima. He was literally "unemployed" for 5 months before signing with Sony. Like, c'mon dude. There are legitimate indie devs who are actually struggling yet we continue to prop Kojima up as some underdog story.

I mean...he's propping others up in this article by being grateful for his time at Konami and being adamant about securing a loan so that his staff have a nice office to work in and their loved ones don't have to worry.

We acknowledge that the struggle to become a successful dev is extremely hard but that doesn't mean those 5 months of unemployment weren't a bit worrisome for Kojima as well just because he's a renowned dev. He even got denied a loan several times before a fan gave hin a chance.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I didn't say the game is not good. That's something you decided to see in my post. My position was always optimism with the expectation that it can be either good or bad, and not to automatically assume that the reception is going to be good. I never contradicted myself. You have tunnel vision and are taking this as a personal affront.

Nobody said that you said the game is not good, again reading comprehension is alluding you but I'll quote myself so you can have another shot at it.

The point is you can't quote someone telling them don't say the game is good when they haven't played it, while at the same time saying what the game is NOT when you haven't played it either.

I said you can't tell me what the game is NOT. If I can't say the game is good because I haven't played it, you can't say the game is NOT similar to his previous work when YOU haven't played it either.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never throw your current (or former) business partners under the bus publicly, that's just professionalism 101.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody said that you said the game is not good, again reading comprehension is alluding you but I'll quote myself so you can have another shot at it.

The point is you can't quote someone telling them don't say the game is good when they haven't played it, while at the same time saying what the game is NOT when you haven't played it either.

I said you can't tell me what the game is NOT. If I can't say the game is good because I haven't played it, you can't say the game is NOT similar to his previous work when YOU haven't played it either.
I called out your post for automatically assuming it's good, and the mere fact you took issue with that suggests that you think I'm assuming the opposite, which logic dictates would be that I must think the game will be bad. And I've clarified numerous times that my saying "similarities to" was a broad generalization that should've instead said, "Death Stranding is not Metal Gear Solid," which led to my other point that it's an entirely new project that doesn't have the benefit of the doubt because it isn't part of an established franchise. And I also refuted your point that just because Hideo has been known for quality work that it isn't impossible for Death Stranding to not be a miss. I'm hoping it isn't.