• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I did.

You've been hoisted by your own petard

No, I said name the bad Kojima games.

You named Peace Walker (Metacric, 89), Metal Gear Solid 4 (Metacritc, 94), Metal Gear Solid V (Metacritc, 93). All three among my favorite games of the last 11 years. Amazing games, all. Please, however, name the bad Kojima games.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Kojima didn't have any money? What? He was director of one of the most successful franchise from the last 20 years. How is that possible?

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I am probably so selfish for saying this, but the world of gaming suffers from never having proper MGS game again.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I called out your post for automatically assuming it's good, and the mere fact you took issue with that suggests that you think I'm assuming the opposite, which logic dictates would be that I must think the game will be bad.

Don't apply your kindergarten logic to me.

I "took issue" with you assuming it had no similarities to his previous work, in the same breath of trying to call me out for assuming its good.

Only after I hoisted you on your own petard are you making the "what I meant to say" statements.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Kojima didn't have any money? What? He was director of one of the most successful franchise from the last 20 years. How is that possible?
Well I think it's no money in the sense of the amount of money needed to build a new AAA studio. It's even said in next line in the article, somehow not quoted in the OP lol
Anyway he was the director of the MGS franchise but depending on how his contract was with Konami he may or may not have got more money from the success of MGS, we don't really know.

I read the interview and I don't understand how anything he said came off as arrogant?
Me neither lol he sounds pretty humbled there actually

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can tell some in this thread have limited business acumen or experience. When Kojima says he had no money, he's not speaking literally, eg that he didn't have a single yen to his name. Rather that he didn't have near the kinds of funds required to set up a new business and/or studio, hence needing a bank loan. That sort of capital requirement is a different kettle of fish.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
You can tell some in this thread have limited business acumen or experience. When Kojima says he had no money, he's not speaking literally, eg that he didn't have a single yen to his name. Rather that he didn't have near the kinds of funds required to set up a new business and/or studio, hence needing a bank loan. That sort of capital requirement is a different kettle of fish.
I agree with you spot on.

I think Sony could definitely help him and his team going forward. Just saying they would be excellent business partners. In rooting for his game, already preordered my copy.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would guess he means he didn't have nearly enough money to start a studio from the ground up. He definitely had money, but not the millions required to found a studio.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a big fan, but I swear everytime he speaks it feels self indulgent and arrogant as fuck. Is it lost in translation again? You can not be humble in Japanese?
It's always the translation
There was even an article/thread about it.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ko...sial-tweets-are-different-in-japanese.142676/
But the original Japanese tweet was different...Kojima doesn't write that he became independent. Instead, the original tweet was more matter of fact. "The company was established on December 16, 2015," it reads. He goes to write that he didn't have a proper office, but a small temporary one. "There was no staff, no office, no equipment, nothing. I only had a Kojima Productions logo, a notepad and a pen, and my own computer. While coming up with the project plan, I recruited staff and looked for an office and a game engine. But I wasn't at zero, because the only things I did have were a dream and connections." Kojima didn't say he was going independent, but rather, setting up the company. He acknowledged that he has connections. Of course he does, he's Hideo Kojima!

Oct 25, 2017
Reading this makes me think he will agree to an acquisition at some point if Sony wants it. If he isn't wealthy it makes since to cash in. Also 80 people is small for an AAA studio.

Do we know how expensive Death Stranding is with all those actors? I wonder who will entertain his endevours after Sony.

Sony again. He said DS isn't meant to be a one-off.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I swear some people on era has zero ability to think at least a tad deeper about anything they read. When Kojima mentions he didn't have the money he doesn't mean he had ZERO yen or some dumb shit. he didn't have enough to start a new studio from scratch. Sony didn't start this studio even if they are partnered up for the upcoming game. Hence the need to get some financing via a bank

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oexrLPq.png

Oct 25, 2017
Until I now thought Sony had bankrolled his entire studio and I was wondering why they would do that for an independent partner. This interview about the situation really clears some things up.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Yikes at some of the posts here, all I see is a man grateful for getting an opportunity to do what he genuinely enjoys despite having a recently strained relationship with his former employer

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any story of people working with Kojima that hates him? Everything I see around him is people falling in love with him but some people on the internet thinks he's a piece of trash.

Well, probably not hate. But, based on MGS4 documentary, he probably pissed off several of his co-worker since he demand change and adding critical feature when the deadline is near.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

I'm pretty disturbed that you have to point this out for people here. lmao

Death Stranding |OT| Look at These Bitches Eating Their Crackers.

this is...good

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if we will ever understand what happened between Konami and Kojima. I know Konami shifted their focus on gambling machines, but it's definitely more then that considering what happened to MGS5 development.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
I'm not surprised to read that it wasn't that easy to build up an ambitious studio even for mister Kojima. Of course, the man surely had enough Ks on the side for himself, but it is surely a whole different range of money one has to spend when you add on the expenses needed to set up a developement studio from scratch (staff, rent, hardwares, furnitures, ect.). That was surely a daring move and it didn't work all too well for a lot of veterans, especially in Japan.
I wish the team the best success. I just geared up to experience the game myself (just purchased a PS4, mostly for this game), waiting on the 8th of November!

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
I'm a big fan, but I swear everytime he speaks it feels self indulgent and arrogant as fuck. Is it lost in translation again? You can not be humble in Japanese?

How did you even get that? This man just said everyone rejected me. I only lucked out because Konami enabled me to build my Rep. Im thankful to them no matter what.

What exactly did you infer from that?

Oct 27, 2017
This forum turning on Kojima has been interesting to watch.

There also seems to be a new narrative of him as some sort of self-obsessed, egomaniacal creator- I'm not sure any of his colleagues or former employees or anyone has ever accused him of that outside of this and some other Internet forums?

I'm not sure he's exactly wrong about someone with a huge reputation as an offbeat auteur striking out on his own, building a studio from scratch, and creating a rather ambitious and somewhat confusing to market large scale game project. He's essentially saying here that he got lucky with having great fans in places that could help him along on his solo venture, and that the reason he was able to do it was because of his long work and reputation with Konami's opportunities.

Truly the most arrogant of designers.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
He should be. They may have been dicking him around, but to think you could have got Where You Are without the help you have a long the way is foolish.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
People have a real hard on for hating on the guy around here.

Anyway, so glad he found his footing quickly and we are getting a big game from his team. Instead of being stuck making mobile games or something.
You can say that again... Every. Fucking. Thread!

Of course he has money! But enough to buy a fancy new building for his crew and support them for 3 years? Like... Come the fuck on! And after everything Konami did to the guy and his staff, he's still thankful!

What a arogant piece of s*it, right?! /s

Last edited: