• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
People here have weird concepts about money. He doesn't mean he didn't have even 1 yen, he didn't have the money to build up a new studio, that needs a very large amount of capital..

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm shocked that he got stonewalled at the bank, I figured he'd get financing easily.

It is surprising. But seems like Japan banks are stingy with start-ups. The article goes on to say that corporate culture also leads to people not knowing how to go out on their own if they ever try to do just that.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
He has a point. His time at Konami is what brought him to fame and gave him the status that he has now (Thank Konami). Sure they've parted ways (Fuck Konami), but that doesn't mean he forgets or is hateful towards the company that brought him fame. Good on Kojima. And fuck that bank that denied Kojima a loan. He can have all the loans.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this whole "Kojima is arrogant" stuff reminds me of the whole "Drukmann" shit during Uncharted 4s development where people thought he was some Sheev Palpatine character trying to become ND by forcing out Amy Hennig

I feel people just want to project and see people as awful caricatures

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Kojima is pretty much the videogame equivalent of a top tier sports superstar at this point. No matter what he does or says haters will find a way to shit on him

Lebron, Tom Brady etc.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Takes a lot of courage for all those staff members to come on board with the uncertainty of it all. Kojima is one of the few that can persuade people to leave a comfy job and take that risk.

80 person studio overnight essentially, not bad.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People forget Kojima has been making games since the mid-80s, and then they get mad that he has connections, as though he was somehow gifted them on a silver platter. He worked his ass off to be able to have those inroads.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I'm a big fan, but I swear everytime he speaks it feels self indulgent and arrogant as fuck. Is it lost in translation again? You can not be humble in Japanese?
Japanese is a humble language. the bow for like 10 minutes when greeting u, yes it is very much things loss in translation.
OMG with this arrogant Kojima stuff yo, every thread. I thought It was a joke

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
When he says he has no money.... He means he's not a multi-millionaire like you'd expect, right? I mean, he's not living in a little 3 bedroom apartment somewhere and going "Shit, I knew I shouldnt have bought that game, because now I've no money until payday in 3 days"

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I get criticizing Kojima for being a perv and for sloppy writing but his gameplay and presentation are always on point and the hate he gets for "being arrogant" is ridiculous. He's plenty humble in this article.

Also, even if Kojima was somehow a millionaire from his years at Konami (which I doubt considering its Japan), it still costs an astronomical amount of money to set up a studio in a nice location with 100+ staff in Japan. It shows Kojima is a good leader when he thinks about his staff and their needs first.

Phantom_Snake

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
When he says he has no money.... He means he's not a multi-millionaire like you'd expect, right? I mean, he's not living in a little 3 bedroom apartment somewhere and going "Shit, I knew I shouldnt have bought that game, because now I've no money until payday in 3 days"
He might be a multi-millionaire. But his bank account isn't the kind that can outright pay for a Studio and staff that have AAA aspirations. Even if he did have the money it would be a bad idea to pay out of pocket for everything.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shows his humility and wisdom honestly that he recognizes the role konami played in giving him opportunities to create and succeed, even if later on their were disagreements. He seems like a stand up dude.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan, but I swear everytime he speaks it feels self indulgent and arrogant as fuck. Is it lost in translation again? You can not be humble in Japanese?
You've got a real bad case of bitch eating crackers. You should see a doctor about that.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are the fans going to be in the game?

Top tier Kojima fans confirmed?

I'm just dropping money on the game so I got nothing on those peeps lmao

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
He might be a multi-millionaire. But his bank account isn't the kind that can outright pay for a Studio and staff that have AAA aspirations. Even if he did have the money it would be a bad idea to pay out of pocket for everything.
Yeah, dude might be rich, but he's not "lemme spend $250 million on game development and marketing" rich for sure.

MGS6 Kojima, please :(
I don't think Death Stranding is going to net him "buy the Metal Gear IP" money.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I laughed out loud at this, thank you Shy.
8wgn3hh.gif

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
That's just a Hideo Kojima personality, not a fan myself. Could be translation though who fucking knows.

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima-san must shop bargain bins at Japanese convenience store to afford copies of his own games :(

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
"But then, there was a banker at the biggest bank [in Japan] who was a huge fan of mine, and I got the financing."

Apologies if I save my sympathies for developer with legitimate struggles. I just hate how he tries to come off as this developer who "struggled" after leaving Konami. Acknowledge the privilege you've had coming off your own success and move on. I have no idea why he feels the need to garner sympathy in such a way. It's eye-roll inducing.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that he got stonewalled at the bank, I figured he'd get financing easily.
Being a big name doesn't guarantee a loan, and, if only based on that alone, never should. If anything about Kojima's comments make me side-eye, it's the notion that a guy at the bank recognized him and apparently authorized the loan just because he's Hideo Kojima. It's not necessarily the riskiest or dumbest loan one could authorize (that would probably go to the state of Rhode Island's loan to 38 Studios), but like, if bankers were turning down Kojima's request left and right, I'd question the guy that authorized the loan in the end.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not, and part of me questions if he would even want to make new MG games anyway. I'm sure he wants to at least own the IP though after pouring so much love and passion into it all these years.
I wouldn't want him to make new Metal Gears anyway; I'd like to see more games like Ghost Babel or Portable Ops; takes without his input beyond the traditional producer/executive producer role. Let people with new takes and ideas tackle his established stuff while he does new things like Death Stranding and beyond.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I wouldn't want him to make new Metal Gears anyway; I'd like to see more games like Ghost Babel or Portable Ops; takes without his input beyond the traditional producer/executive producer role. Let people with new takes and ideas tackle his established stuff while he does new things like Death Stranding and beyond.
That would be fantastic tbh. I just love the world of Metal Gear and want to see more games in it, even if we ended up getting entirely new characters with little to no relation to the previous cast.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Apologies if I save my sympathies for developer with legitimate struggles. I just hate how he tries to come off as this developer who "struggled" after leaving Konami. Acknowledge the privilege you've had coming off your own success and move on. I have no idea why he feels the need to garner sympathy in such a way. It's eye-roll inducing.
I know right? The arrogance of answering the questions Famitsu asked him.

Words and deeds.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
According to Kojima, there were doubters that anyone thought the game would be good. "The reason for that is that there hasn't been a single world-famous game designer who has had success after striking out on their own."

Ummm what about Sakurai?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It is surprising. But seems like Japan banks are stingy with start-ups. The article goes on to say that corporate culture also leads to people not knowing how to go out on their own if they ever try to do just that.
There's really not enough information to go on in the interview, but a bank seems like a weird place to raise capital for a brand new AAA developer, if that's what he was trying to do at that stage. I don't think banks would consider AAA game development a sound business plan either way, as you're not getting revenues until sales roll in. That's why new studios tend to look to angel investors, VCs, crowdfunding, or publishers for solid backing.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Ummm what about Sakurai?
What about him? Sora has a skeleton crew and Sakurai's only attempt at a new IP was Meteos and that was in collaboration with Mizuguchi's Q Entertainment. All his successful games are Nintendo IPs developed with collaboration from a larger dev and Sakurai isn't someone who left a big company to make independent blockbusters. There's a reason why all the famous Japanese game designers who strike out on their own end up making mobile games and disappearing from the public eye. Probably the only comparison that we can really look at here would be Sakaguchi and Mistwalker. Even then, it's a very different comparison because Sakaguchi himself, despite being the father of Final Fantasy, could only set up a skeleton crew at Mistwalker and they had to get contracts from Microsoft and Nintendo before tying up with larger developers to make Blue Dragon, Last Story, etc. When they made things on their own, it's stuff like Terra Battle on mobile.

Kojima is talking about a famous game designer in Japan who leaves a big company, strikes out on their own with a full development studio staff to make a blockbuster game. It really almost never happens. Okay, I guess there's Platinum Games. So we have two examples. Haha.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

You really don't know what you're talking about. I hate Konami as much as the next guy and yes fuck Konami! Still, he's just saying without Konami he wouldn't be where he was right now. Hardly pretentious so get the heck out of here with that bullshite.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Got some salty cracker eaters in this thread.

Kojima having a normal interview -> look at this arrogant prick!