• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1646477603665235971
From Software's Hidetaka Miyazaki has been selected as one of the 2023 "100 Most Influential People in the World" by the American news magazine "Time".

He is the second Japanese game developer to be selected, following Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto in 2007.

Cool news, considering this is a rare moment for the game industry, and it's great to see him getting the recognition he deserves. He is definitely up there as far as game creators go.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
hidetaka-miyazaki-064213.webp

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super Happy for him, his games became a big part of my life (I know it sounds lame; but its true).

Käebi

Mar 12, 2019
Interesting it's Hidetaka Miyazaki, and no Kojima. Would have expected Kojima to be more "fitting" for something like this. I am happy tho

HVivi

Nov 29, 2020
He (and his amazing team) created my favorite game of all time and some games I absolutely love. He and the people at From deserve all the credit they get. Wish they focused more technical side but those are small issues in comparison to the worlds and gameplay experiences they have and are creating. Hope he has a long and storied career for decades to come.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Definitely one of the most influential designers in games. So happy to see Fromsoft's success over time.
Demon's Souls was such a breath of fresh air in the 360/PS3 era of hand holding games.

Kazen

May 31, 2019
My favorite game director by a huge margin, no one comes even close. The GOAT.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Interesting it's Hidetaka Miyazaki, and no Kojima. Would have expected Kojima to be more "fitting" for something like this. I am happy tho

Kojima games never reached the mainstream like Elden Ring, different times and social media nowadays helps a lot, but no Metal Gear title has ever reached Elden Ring buzz and success.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. I would have thought someone like Neil Druckmann might have been on these lists first.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Not in a thousand years I would have thought FromSoft would be at this point.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
He single handedly got me back into video games with Demons Souls in 2009. Living Legend.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

I could be wrong but I think Kojima has made the list (or a very similar one) in the past.

Not sure I'd agree with Miyazaki being there but it's cool nonetheless

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but he getting there but not Aya Kyogoku after new horizons was much bigger than elden ring seems weird and even a bit sexist

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Huh? Lord Miyazaki got recognized by non-gaming peasants?

Anyway, Miyazaki definitely influenced my gaming habits… like ~9 years ago.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
he invented difficulty in video games, ofc he deserves it!

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Deserved

Sorry but he getting there but not Aya Kyogoku after new horizons was much bigger than elden ring seems weird and even a bit sexist
Demon's souls created a subgenre of action RPGs, NH is the worst animal crossing and she wasn't the creator of the original so nah

blackthone

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul, South Korea
Though not the same level as Time 100, she did included in Bloomberg 50 in 2020 as the only game developer on the list.

www.bloomberg.com

Aya Kyogoku and Hisashi Nogami, the Humans Behind Animal Crossing

New Horizons has sold more than 26 million copies since its March release, making it the most popular version of the series in its almost 20-year history.

abdizzle

Jun 12, 2021
Not surprised and absolutely deserved. I don't think there's a more influential modern game designer that has had such a significant impact on the industry. He's truly changed the game.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Would be even higher on the list if he would brute force his name more to the players during his games. Maybe one good addition would be adding credits when reaching any bonfire, make sure to include his name as much as possible and maybe a big juicy "A HIDETAKA MIYAZAKI GAME" text right there at the end, BOOM.

...but in seriousness, well deserved! He has been very influential in the gaming space for a long time now.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
kinda weird to have something like that for 2023 when we're not even five months into the year but whatever
congrats to him. at least as an auter i respect him a lot more than kojima

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil