• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
"The man has good taste" /s

I'm gonna be THAT guy and remind people that when a company executive agrees that the most widely regarded favorite thing is also their favorite, it basically doesn't mean anything. The basically have to say that.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
I see the ball is on Sony's court for the release of Bloodborne 2. I don't see them not using such a huge trump card for the PS5.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It's also possible, and I hope it's the case, that they just don't want a different director for it. They want Miyazaki. And the man is just too damn busy, so if they want the same core team as Bloodborne, they're gonna have to wait.

Kazuhiro Hamatani was the lead designer of Bloodborne, he also worked on Sekiro as co-director. Maybe he moved on to help on Elden Ring after Sekiro wrapped up, but maybe...

You know how "fast" GRRM is, right? Any project he's involved in just takes longer, no matter if his work on Elden Ring is already finished or still running. ;]

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Bloodborne is my fav too but i'd honestly rather them keep doing new games that are Souls inspired rather than sequels. That being said, i'd still be day 1 if we got BB 2

I'm gonna be THAT guy and remind people that when a company executive agrees that the most widely regarded favorite thing is also their favorite, it basically doesn't mean anything. The basically have to say that.

I dunno. Dark Souls 1 sold more, is on far more platforms and they are all as critically acclaimed as one another. The safe option is Dark Souls 1....

It's ERAs fav...

I mean, if we're being cynical about what company executives say in public.... he could also be trying to bring Bloodborne back into the general discourse as an attempt to nudge Sony into greenlighting a sequel...

Last edited:

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as how the first didn't get a pro patch... kinda?
Well, I imagine that From would have had to make the patch, and maybe there was 0 interest in doing this if it wasn't in the contract in the first place ? (Plus being busy working on DS3 and its dlc, Sekiro and then Elden Ring).
Really depends on what Sony's objective is in the end.
Either rush it and not use From at all, risking to squander a possible golden goose franchise (if managed well), or wait till Miyazaki / From warms to the idea of working on a sequel in some capacity, at least as consultants.

Seems to me that Miyazaki has warmed up :)

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
What was the most difficult moment you've faced during the development of one of your games?

I believe I didn't go through too many tough moments, especially because even if I'm overwhelmed with work, busy all the time, I like to make games.

So it's the moment I'm the most happy, in general. And when I finish developing a game, I ask myself "did I really suffer? It's already done?" (laughs).

But the most psychologically draining moment is after the game is being sold, when there are a few flaws, and it ends up bothering users. And in that interval between flaw and fix, it's when I get the most upset.

This part is really interesting when you relate it to how he says game creation is very much like playing a game itself.

The whole idea of struggling while you make/play the game, and then after completing it looking back and wondering why those things felt so difficult in the first place. How intrusive and annoying bugs can be for developers and players alike. It's like a perfect mirror of the emotions From's games can pull from the player.

I really wanna just sit down and have a beer with this guy some day. I need to learn Japanese first though lol.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they see FROM Software games as not marketable enough. If you check the trophy completion data most players did not get far into Bloodborne. Perhaps its too hard for the mainstream AAA audience Sony is shooting for.

What?...

It is the 5th best selling Sony exclusive in the US

Izunavis

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Okay, I don't believe BB2 is in development, but do people really think he's just gonna come out and confirm that in an interview if it was?

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Interesting bits of information there but where the hell is Elden Ring? It's going to be VGA, Geoff had a good reason to laugh at that stairs meme.
They probably had all their other projects lined up before Sony approached them.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony should seriously consider a studio that can churn out Souls-like games so that they can work on Bloodborne 2. I think all the mechanics, gameplay and environments can have the same quality but I'm not entirely sure about the writing. Although I've always been lost to hell and back when it comes to Lore in these games, often having to rely on YouTube videos to explain away my ignorance, I find it difficult to imagine a Bloodborne 2 that doesn't have Miyazaki's writing. That is probably the hardest thing to replicate.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If it is Sony's call I'm sure we'll get BB2 on PS5, Shu loves the game (even platinumed it) and Souls games in general, we're also getting a DeS remake so they clearly care about From fans.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony should seriously consider a studio that can churn out Souls-like games so that they can work on Bloodborne 2. I think all the mechanics, gameplay and environments can have the same quality but I'm not entirely sure about the writing. Although I've always been lost to hell and back when it comes to Lore in these games, often having to rely on YouTube videos to explain away my ignorance, I find it difficult to imagine a Bloodborne 2 that doesn't have Miyazaki's writing. That is probably the hardest thing to replicate.

I agree.

Maybe they are positioning BluePoint as that studio? With the expertise they will get from Demons Souls Remake (re-envisioning).

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, he could just say his favorite is actually Elden Ring, because it's their biggest game and it has George R. R. Martin, and ask people to look forward to it.

As an executive answer, it makes more sense to hype either the next one or the last one they released.

They're all very well regarded, 90+ games on metacritic.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I certainly don't trust them at this point. They've shown so little interest in the RPG genre as a whole for the majority of the gen that I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they just don't care.

Games like Bloodborne are the reason why Playstation exists as a brand. I'm pretty sure there are a few reasons why Sony hasn't greenlit the project yet.

Off the top of my head:

Wanting Miyazaki to admit he wants to make it. Up until now, it sounded like he was tired of the formula. We got Sekiro and we're getting Elden Ring next year.
Miyazaki being busy with other projects and Sony wanting him to be 100% involved in it
Wanting to avoid clashes with other first-party titles (marketing reasons)
Wanting to wait for PS5 to help it boost initial sales

No way Sony is letting such a critically acclaimed IP die. I don't think people would like to have a BB2 without Miyazaki.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Games like Bloodborne are the reason why Playstation exists as a brand. I'm pretty sure there are a few reasons why Sony hasn't greenlit the project yet.

Off the top of my head:

Wanting Miyazaki to admit he wants to make it. Up until now, it sounded like he was tired of the formula. We got Sekiro and we're getting Elden Ring next year.
Miyazaki being busy with other projects and Sony wanting him to be 100% involved in it
Wanting to avoid clashes with other first-party titles (marketing reasons)
Wanting to wait for PS5 to help it boost initial sales

No way Sony is letting such a critically acclaimed IP die. I don't think people would like to have a BB2 without Miyazaki.

Sony has let plenty of critically acclaimed IPs die in the past, though. But yes, Miyazaki is critical to making a BB2, creating one without him would be silly.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
This part is really interesting when you relate it to how he says game creation is very much like playing a game itself.

The whole idea of struggling while you make/play the game, and then after completing it looking back and wondering why those things felt so difficult in the first place. How intrusive and annoying bugs can be for developers and players alike. It's like a perfect mirror of the emotions From's games can pull from the player.

I really wanna just sit down and have a beer with this guy some day. I need to learn Japanese first though lol.
I know the feeling. Every interview I read from him just makes me think that I'd love to just listen to him talking. About anything, really.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
I apologize to my family (lots of laughs), but I'd like to always be involved in this.
I'll be here for Elden ring 8
also congrats on the baby
It's interesting to imagine a bloodborne sequel in a post-sekiro + elden ring world
These two games drastically changed the formula (in elden rings case, this is based on the confirmation of horseriding + open world) compared to the samey ds1-3-bloodborne and Im certain the sequel would bring some big changes in gameplay.

I mean we have proof that bb is one of the games he got more involved with, he basically designed all of the maps for the levels. Dont think its too far fetched. Maybe the "most widely regarded" also has something to do with bb being more of an auteur game as in "I believe I did it my way, the way I wanted" and not something that was ultimately released with a lot cut ideas and compromises

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Sony has let plenty of critically acclaimed IPs die in the past, though. But yes, Miyazaki is critical to making a BB2, creating one without him would be silly.
Yeah I don't see Sony doing a sequel without FROM. I'm reading this as Miyazaki saying "Hey it's not my IP to greenlight, fund and publish". At the same time even if Sony has already approached them, either they were too busy with other stuff or they just don't want to make a sequel.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't see Sony doing a sequel without FROM. I'm reading this as Miyazaki saying "Hey it's not my IP to greenlight, fund and publish". At the same time even if Sony has already approached them, either they were too busy with other stuff or they just don't want to make a sequel.

I don't even think there's a developer in existence that could do it in their place, honestly.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

His most widely regarded favorite thing is Dark Souls, dude.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I feel like Bloodborne 2 is a dream that will never come true. I strongly hope I'm wrong, but pretty sure it will never be made.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I had no clue about Brotherhood of the Wolf, it looks fantastic.
i'm about to watch it of course.
He also mentioned in a previous interview that the weapon designs in Bloodborne and Sekiro were heavily influenced by Blade of the Immortal, which just got a new anime adaptation:

Didn't watch it yet, so I can't comment on the quality, but there are two episodes released so far.

Nov 2, 2017
People seem to think the "it's not up to me" statement refers to Sony but he might just be talking about Kadokawa instead. I'm pretty sure that they have the end say in what From develops as they own them.
And if I were Kadokawa I'd rather have my developer make a multiplat, especially given that a large part of From's audience is on another platform, than an exclusive.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
He also mentioned in a previous interview that the weapon designs in Bloodborne and Sekiro were heavily influenced by Blade of the Immortal, which just got a new anime adaptation:

Didn't watch it yet, so I can't comment on the quality, but there are two episodes released so far.

Thanks for sharing, I'll look into it.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
King.

I will never not stan this man.

Seems like he is at least somewhat interested in a Bloodborne sequel...Sony please pay for that shit.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's right about Old Monk, he's the best design

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
People seem to think the "it's not up to me" statement refers to Sony but he might just be talking about Kadokawa instead. I'm pretty sure that they have the end say in what From develops as they own them.
And if I were Kadokawa I'd rather have my developer make a multiplat, especially given that a large part of From's audience is on another platform, than an exclusive.
That is very true, but on the other hand, Elden Ring and George R.R. Martin being involved was all From. So I do think there's at least evidence that Kadokawa is pretty hands off with them. At least while they're making them good money.

The thing is, can an exclusive Bloodborne 2 give them the same amount of "good money"? That's something From would still have to worry about, even if their day to day work is independent from Kadokawa.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They released an exclusive game just a while ago, money and good relationship can solve anything.