• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alpha_ulquiorra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where are people getting the idea that sony's hasn't wanted the game? It would obviously be up to the management at Kadokawa.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
"Unfortunately it's not up to me" might also mean "Sony has control of the IP, but From is asking for a boatload of cash to do another exclusive." I mean, Sony's got deep pockets but it's not unlimited.
The conservative play from Sony is to focus on first party titles for the launch of the PS5, then approach From about BB2 when they're looking for that next wave of mid-generation titles. By that point From is probably done with Elden Ring and they'd be open to it as well.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It's hard to imagine a world where Sony would fund a Bluepoint Demon's Souls Remaster but not a BB sequel. It has to be Japan Studio's most successful game from this last gen, no?

Max Deltree

Oct 31, 2017
I remember reading somewhere back then that the DLC for Bloodborne was done exclusively by Japan Studio. Is this true, or just made up?

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading somewhere back then that the DLC for Bloodborne was done exclusively by Japan Studio. Is this true, or just made up?
Completely made up. When Dark Souls III was revealed, Miyazaki even had to reassure people that he could direct both the DLC and Dark Souls III, and talked about how it wasn't the first time he was working on two projects at once.

The soundtracks are also pretty good indicatives, with tracks composed by From Software's in-house composers.

The credits also don't list Japan Studios folks in design, art or tech roles, only production.

Max Deltree

Oct 31, 2017
Completely made up. When Dark Souls III was revealed, Miyazaki even had to reassure people that he could direct both the DLC and Dark Souls III, and talked about how it wasn't the first time he was working on two projects at once.

The soundtracks are also pretty good indicatives, with tracks composed by From Software's in-house composers.

The credits also don't list Japan Studios folks in design, art or tech roles, only production.

That's what I've imagined.

Anyways, yeah a BB2 is probably on Kadokawa's court rather than Sony or From.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Sony, for crying out loud...Please ask, beg, and persuade Miyazaki to make Bloodborne 2 exclusively for PS5.

We want this.

Sony it is your decision, as Miyazaki said, it's not up to him. But your fans are asking for Bloodborne 2. Please consider that!

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He also mentioned in a previous interview that the weapon designs in Bloodborne and Sekiro were heavily influenced by Blade of the Immortal, which just got a new anime adaptation:

Didn't watch it yet, so I can't comment on the quality, but there are two episodes released so far.

HOLD THE FUCK UP.

There is a new BOTI anime????

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls is the exact same product as Demon Souls and it already got enough releases if you ask me, meanwhile Bloodborne is unique. It makes much more sense to release a sequel to the later.
I'd be fine with a new IP in the same style that keeps the cosmic horror as a base, too. It would be cool if all three Playstation exclusive Souls games are lovecraftian horror, and that way it won't be held down by the existing lore. They can just do whatever they want.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Has the interviewer not heard about Elden Ring? What the hell are these questions? Smh

The interviewer probably knows that Miyazaki isn't giving any details about Elden Ring right now. What's the point in asking him about it when the answer is going to be "we have nothing to share at this time"?

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
To hell with all this talk about Bloodborne 2. Why didn't they ask a single question about Elden Ring?

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats on the baby Miyazaki

JYtVCjj.gif
What is this GIF from?

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
The interviewer probably knows that Miyazaki isn't giving any details about Elden Ring right now. What's the point in asking him about it when the answer is going to be "we have nothing to share at this time"?
Miyazaki is in Brazil to receive a lifetime achievement award, so it's possible BGS is just not part of the promotion cycle for Elden Ring, and they couldn't give any new details.
Can't you guys just let this manbaby publicly air his frustrations about the current drought of Elden Ring news in peace! 😠

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Thanks for the translation Gbraga, was a very interesting read, especially that Old Monk his his favorite boss (didn't hate it, but wasn't that fond of it either). And there is no doubt in my mind that we'll get a sequel eventually, especially after reading the interview, so thanks again for putting in the effort Gbraga.

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly don't trust them at this point. They've shown so little interest in the RPG genre as a whole for the majority of the gen that I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they just don't care.

They care enough to remake Demon's Souls. There is no doubt in my mind they want another From exclusive. It's a system seller despite not being as commercially successful as their Western games.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the translation Gbraga, was a very interesting read, especially that Old Monk his his favorite boss (didn't hate it, but wasn't that fond of it either). And there is no doubt in my mind that we'll get a sequel eventually, especially after reading the interview, so thanks again for putting in the effort Gbraga.
Appreciate it, mate. But Gamespot deserves all credit here. Yeah, his choices for favorite bosses are always a bit unusual.

His favorite from Bloodborne is Rom, so... yeah. Hahaha.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
But the most psychologically draining moment is after the game is being sold, when there are a few flaws, and it ends up bothering users. And in that interval between flaw and fix, it's when I get the most upset.
You must be a psychological wreck considering that users are still bothered by the frame pacing issues in Bloodborne that never got fixed!

lol seriously though, cool interview.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if he's saying it's not up to him then it's definitely on Sony to get this shit greenlit.
I honestly hope Miyazaki stops working on sequels. I think it was pretty clear that after Dark Souls 3, he wasn't really enthused about making those kinds of deals, and that original work was far more his passion. I think in general video games are far too obsessed with sequels, rather than original work. Regardless, I want Miyazaki to continue to have the freedom to make the games he wants to make.

As an example, even if Sekiro wasn't really my thing, it's still a great game and I want him to continue to make more experiences with his unique eye for design, rather than refining old ideas. You can tell there's a lot more passion put into those new creations. It's why Demon's Souls is still such a unique experience, and Dark Souls looks like a refinement of it, rather than a unique evolution.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I honestly hope Miyazaki stops working on sequels. I think it was pretty clear that after Dark Souls 3, he wasn't really enthused about making those kinds of deals, and that original work was far more his passion. I think in general video games are far too obsessed with sequels, rather than original work. Regardless, I want Miyazaki to continue to have the freedom to make the games he wants to make.

As an example, even if Sekiro wasn't really my thing, it's still a great game and I want him to continue to make more experiences with his unique eye for design, rather than refining old ideas. You can tell there's a lot more passion put into those new creations. It's why Demon's Souls is still such a unique experience, and Dark Souls looks like a refinement of it, rather than a unique evolution.
I mean FROM this gen
- Bloodborne
- Déraciné
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Elden Ring (currently targeting this gen)

All original IP which is incredible. They are developer in such a unique position. Not owned by any of the big platform holders but still not independent. They can come up with these incredible worlds and pitch to any publisher really.

SammyMiami

Feb 26, 2019
Definitely seems like it could be a timing thing. Maybe BB2 after they wrap on Elden Ring? That would be the dream.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

I really really can't agree with this.

Bloodborne borrows more from Dark Souls than Dark Souls does from Demon's, in my opinion.

Going from a level+hub structure to an interconnected world full of shortcuts with no convenient warping until much later in the game is a much bigger leap than "but now it's Lovecraft again, and the weapons transform".

I agree with the point you're making, but not the example. Dark Souls 1 absolutely counts as one of the original works, as far as I'm concerned.

I mean FROM this gen
- Bloodborne
- Déraciné
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Elden Ring (currently targeting this gen)

All original IP which is incredible. They are developer in such a unique position. Not owned by any of the big platform holders but still not independent. They can come up with these incredible worlds and pitch to any publisher really.
There's also this. 4 new IPs this gen. If the man wants to make a sequel, let him. Even if I'm personally more excited about Elden Ring than a hypothetical Bloodborne 2.