• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
With the introuduction of cloud saves and automatic saves, how will you handle Mr. Resetti's interventions?

HN : New Horizons will not be compatible with cloud backups to avoid manipulating time, which remains one of the founding concepts of the series.

English Source:

Original Source:

Feel free to use the following petition:

Hi, so I had the confirmation that I can post the petition on this thread! Aya Kyogoku said that they listened to fan, so we would like them to know that we understand their issue with the save cloud but we'd like for them to find any other solutions so we don't risk to lose our save on Animal Crossing New Horizons if our console stops working.
If you're interested by this topic, don't hesitate to sign the petition, and even share it, it would really help us!
Petition about the save cloud for Animal Crossing New Horizons

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
What's even the point of cloud saves if your own games don't support it

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Better to let hundreds of hours of progress go to waste in the event something happens than to allow a few players to game the system in a primarily single player experience.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's the stupidest fucking choice. Oh my god. Oh my fucking god. Who even cares if players manipulate time. WHAT DOES IT MATTER.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I can see the point but some want absolute control over their saves and may dislike this.

I recall a lot of folks in the 3DS modding community using save backups to prevent certain citizens from moving out of their towns by manipulating saves in A New Leaf.

Animal Crossing is supposed to have that pseudo living world in the sense stuff is happening even if you turn off the game. So being able to back up a save and reload it later to backtrack takes away from this a bit.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
That sounds like a poor excuse tbh... A lot of games could be manipulated (Bloodborne's early item duping comes to mind) with cloud saves and they've worked around it with patches and whatnot.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"The potential for anyone to lose hundreds of hours of progress is less important than having a select few people not be able to use an exploit in a singleplayer game with no leaderboards"

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see the point but some want absolute control over their saves and may dislike this.

I recall a lot of folks in the 3DS modding community using save backups to prevent certain citizens from moving out of their towns by manipulating saves in A New Leaf.

Animal Crossing is supposed to have that pseudo living world in the sense stuff is happening even if you turn off the game. So being able to back up a save and reload it later to backtrack takes away from this a bit.

Yeah, I know they are going to get a lot of backlash for this, but if they care about preserving the sanctity of the experience for most players, then they might just have to make it a 100% online game next time around.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Why do they even care? It's not like it's a competitive multiplayer game or something. Let people play how they want.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Fuck.

The games that I'm most concerned about losing progress in (Pokemon and Animal Crossing) have no cloud backup. While Pokemon should have cloud backup, I do understand it. If people found a way to duplicate Mew or Jirachi, those Pokemon would lose all rarity and value. But people have been manipulating time in Animal Crossing since the Gamecube (maybe the 64? I haven't imported that version). If I duplicate a couch, who gives a shit?

I've been all digital on Switch at this point, if I buy Animal Crossing physically do all the saves go to the cartridge like on DS/3DS? So if I took it out of my Switch and put it into another one I'd still have my save file?

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Me too.

I think we can discuss about the debate on whether we should respect the developer's (or lead producer here) decision to not give the players absolute control over their save files.

Open to discussion.

Also, I realized Higashi Nogami is both Splatoon 2 and Animal Crossing New Horizons lead producer.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck.

The games that I'm most concerned about losing progress in (Pokemon and Animal Crossing) have no cloud backup. While Pokemon should have cloud backup, I do understand it. If people found a way to duplicate Mew or Jirachi, those Pokemon would lose all rarity and value. But people have been manipulating time in Animal Crossing since the Gamecube (maybe the 64? I haven't imported that version). If I duplicate a couch, who gives a shit?

I've been all digital on Switch at this point, if I buy Animal Crossing physically do all the saves go to the cartridge like on DS/3DS? So if I took it out of my Switch and put it into another one I'd still have my save file?

Nope. I believe all saves go to the system itself.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I don't get it. Wouldn't having cloud backups allow them to check if time was manipulated? How does not supporting help?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they care? If someone wants to do this then let them. Big deal. Most players won't, and will actually appreciate having cloud saves if something ever happens to their game save.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
wow, this is the stupidest thing about this game

so if a switch+ or 2.0 drops, you basically lose your save game? why even buy this at launch if a new version of the console is on it's way a year after?

zephiethewisp

Oct 25, 2017
uk
why is nintendo like this. how do they do so many things so well then fuck up the most basic of basics. i will never understand

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wow, this is the stupidest thing about this game

so if a switch+ or 2.0 drops, you basically lose your save game? why even buy this at launch if a new version of the console is on it's way a year after?

Come on. You know they will have a system transfer option as soon as a new hardware revision gets released.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, just like every previous Animal Crossing game except with cartridges/memory cards.
But we have cloud saves now... There's no reason not to support it outside stupid decisions like manipulating time which you could do in previous versions without cloud saving anyways. They lost a sale from me.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
First Mario Maker, then Pokémon. Looks like Animal Crossing is up next on the stupid fucking decision menu

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's such bs since you will really really have to go out of your way to do it this time

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Astounding how cloud saves isn't allowed for the games that are most in need of a cloud save like Splatoon 2

what is the point ? People are literally 100x more invested in games like those and wants to be safe

At least put weekly cloud saves as a limitation ? If you lose your save you would lose a week of content, this would obviously offset any manipulation that people could do with turnips or whatever else.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also people who want to change the time because they only play it at odd hours of the day are screwed too.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I was told on this forum that developers reasoning matters and that is why no pause and no difficulty in Souls games is ok. Likewise then this is also ok.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
How is it that 3 of Nintendo's biggest upcoming releases are all coming with caveats about ass-backwards online functionality?

Why would they charge money for Online while still making sure it's terrible? (Yes I know they answer is because they could get away with it.)