• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
IIRC, the saves for all previous games were either in the game cards themselves or locked to the console you played on (and couldn't be copied or moved to another). This isn't new and therefore isn't surprising to me.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, the saves for all previous games were either in the game cards themselves or locked to the console you played on (and couldn't be copied or moved to another). This isn't new and therefore isn't surprising to me.

It's 2019. I have cloud saves from 360 games that released back in 2005.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I support the need for cloud saves but this thread makes it seem like everyone's switches are failing all of a sudden or that a bunch of you are careless or have careless kids who can't handle their toys properly

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How can anyone be okay with that decision.

It would drive me mad to loose a save game i put hundreds of hours in.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
It's 2019. I have cloud saves from 360 games that released back in 2005.
This, it's a first party game and it's part of a service they are charging money for

I support the need for cloud saves but this thread makes it seem like everyone's switches are failing all of a sudden or that a bunch of you are careless or have careless kids who can't handle their toys properly

You're right, insurance is a scam too because it probably won't happen to me

In all seriousness, sometimes shit just happens. It happened to me with New Leaf with a corrupted save

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This, it's a first party game and it's part of a service they are charging money for

You're right, insurance is a scam too because it probably won't happen to me

In all seriousness, sometimes shit just happens. It happened to me with New Leaf with a corrupted save
Stuff does happen but I feel people worry a bit too much. And again I wanna reiterate I support cloud saves. I'm an advocate for being able to stop playing a game and picking up on a different device/system wherever possible. I just think worrying so much about a console failing seems a bit crazy to me.

Also don't get me started on insurance lol

Jun 26, 2018
Nintendo and Online continues to be a joke every step of the way. Also why do they honestly care about if some players want to manipulate time? The fact that the game is on a 24-hour timer is honestly the worst part about Animal Crossing in my eyes.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Nintendo is so frustrating and backwards with stuff that was solved a long time ago. If it wasn't for a handful of exclusives I wouldn't even bother with this console anymore.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Stuff does happen but I feel people worry a bit too much. And again I wanna reiterate I support cloud saves. I'm an advocate for being able to stop playing a game and picking up on a different device/system wherever possible. I just think worrying so much about a console failing seems a bit crazy to me.

Also don't get me started on insurance lol
Ye I don't really expect to need it, would just be good to have the option

It's more that every single online game they make continues to be completely ass backwards

Deleted member 53692

user requested account closure
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
France
Nintendo and Online continues to be a joke every step of the way. Also why do they honestly care about if some players want to manipulate time? The fact that the game is on a 24-hour timer is honestly the worst part about Animal Crossing in my eyes.
There is litteraly 99.9999% of games not based on a 24 hour timer.
Let this to Animal Crossing. Everything is built around that. It's like "having to jump in Super Mario Bros is honestly the worst part about the serie".
You're not forced to like Animal Crossing, but you can't say the 24 hour timer is the worst part, it's why that game is amazing. It lives with and without us.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say im surprised but makes no difference to me. Locking cloud saves behind a subscription is so scummy (looking at you too Sony)

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this makes sense to me. if there were cloud saves
Let this to Animal Crossing. Everything is built around that. It's like "having to jump in Super Mario Bros is honestly the worst part about the serie".
You're not forced to like Animal Crossing, but you can't say the 24 hour timer is the worst part, it's why that game is amazing. It lives with and without us.
skipping around in animal Crossing is one of the inherent parts of the game imo

Thank God they delayed it, if it came out in December it would be awful

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Calendar year has little to do it because the Wii in 2006 already allowed to backup saves, but some games blocked this by design, not by technical limitation. Just like now.

It has everything to do with it. Sony and Microsoft have figured this out for years now, only Nintendo struggles. Either they have bad designers at the helms of their studios or they are bad at technical implementations, whichever one it is is up for debate but regardless the consumer is getting a compromised product.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
No, Switch saves are system-locked. Nintendo goes all in on protecting your save data from yourself.
Even on the 3DS, where you can back up saves to an SD, you still can't backup New Leaf

I learned this the hard way when my SD card got corrupted. I had a backup, but New Leaf refuses to read it and wants me to start a new save because the SD card save didn't match or some other vague error message

I went from playing New Leaf once a week to not touching for 5 years

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Even on the 3DS, where you can back up saves to an SD, you still can't backup New Leaf

I learned this the hard way when my SD card got corrupted. I had a backup, but New Leaf refuses to read it and wants me to start a new save because the SD card save didn't match or some other vague error message
I lost my New Leaf town as well when I simply switched to a newer SD card for more storage :(

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remember, we put hundreds of hours into BOTW before cloud saves were even available to us. It is an absolute pain in the arse though. But don't let it put you off playing, especially if it turns out to be the best Animal Crossing.

i wouldn't be surprised if decisions like this push people to hacking their switch, since it lets you backup saves.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It has everything to do with it. Sony and Microsoft have figured this out for years now, only Nintendo struggles. Either they have bad designers at the helms of their studios or they are bad at technical implementations, whichever one it is is up for debate but regardless the consumer is getting a compromised product.
Sony and Microsoft have no games like Animal Crossing or Pokémon.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Sony and Microsoft have no games like Animal Crossing or Pokémon.

I don't think Nintendo games are so unique that the combined libraries of the last almost 15 years of games hosted on Xbox and PlayStation consoles (first and third party) feature nothing comparable. Everyone else in the industry has figured this out except Nintendo.

And there's certainly nothing unique about Splatoon 2 that justifies its exclusion from cloud save compatibility.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Nintendo games are so unique that the combined libraries of the last almost 15 years of games hosted on Xbox and PlayStation consoles (first and third party) feature nothing comparable. Everyone else in the industry has figured this out except Nintendo.

And there's certainly nothing unique about Splatoon 2 that justifies its exclusion from cloud save compatibility.
I don't know about Splatoon 2 because I haven't played enough of it but I tend to agree with you there. But for AC/Pokémon I don't see comparable titles in the rest of the industry that we could take that standard as the one to follow, no. Feel free to provide examples.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

Did Nintendo give a reason why Splatoon 2 isnt supported? I strongly assume its because the data is handled locally rather than being server based (so if you e.g rank down in the game, rolling back to an older save would also restore you rank for that point), but i'm just wondering if they gave a reason for it.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Did Nintendo give a reason why Splatoon 2 isnt supported? I strongly assume its because the data is handled locally rather than being server based (so if you e.g rank down in the game, rolling back to an older save would also restore you rank for that point), but i'm just wondering if they gave a reason for it.
Item manipulation is the official reason. You can cheat by save scumming to get the rare items.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is fine? Destiny, MH doesn't cloud save either for your online account so this doesn't seem to be extremely bad. Unless I'm reading this wrong

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just in case the obvious needs to be said, Animal Crossing is a game you are meant to sick lots of time into a little by little over a long period of time. If you're save file goes you can't just do a speed run and catch up because the gameplay is built around gradually developing attachments to your home, town and virtual animal friends.

If your save file goes, I guess that's like your favorite MMO or Fortnite ending. It isn't coming back. If there was one game on the Switch that needs cloud saves then it needs to be this one.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about Splatoon 2 because I haven't played enough of it but I tend to agree with you there. But for AC/Pokémon I don't see comparable titles in the rest of the industry that we could take that standard as the one to follow, no. Feel free to provide examples.

I don't think any I would provide would convince you. Even if we assume these games are doing something no other game is (a notion I find rather ridiculous) there would still be ways of implementing cloud saves while preserving the integrity of the game file through online authentication and/or flagging suspected abuses.

Yeah it's all stored locally, which is absurd for a game of its nature.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo can be an incredibly dumb company sometimes. The only thing I can say about stuff like this is that its good for comedy.

Deleted member 30458

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

That's the core of the game design.

What a bunch of dumb and ignorant (one-sentence) answers in this thread from people who don't even read and try to understand this.

Jun 26, 2018

It's basically mobile game time gating in a pretty disguise. Animal Crossing is a more limited experience, because of it. They can keep it for al I care, but they weird ways of trying to enforce it is still baffling to me.

That's the core of the game design.

What a bunch of dumb and ignorant (one-sentence) answers in this thread from people who don't even read and try to understand this.

I think if they changed the game to a faster clock or manual control, the game would be better, if you don't like that sure, you do you.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't really play or know much about Animal Crossing but that sounds pretty cool and makes sense for this decision.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone that was on the fence about this series, and that seriously considered making this my first entry, no cloud saves is a dealbreaker. Nintendo should be better at this.