• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 53692

user requested account closure
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
France
It's basically mobile game time gating in a pretty disguise. Animal Crossing is a more limited experience, because of it. They can keep it for al I care, but they weird ways of trying to enforce it is still baffling to me.
Can you try to argument without having to deteriorate the serie with things like "mobile game"? It doesn't mean anything, it has no value. "Mobile game" isn't a type of game, just open the playstore or appstore and discover that there is plenty of different games, with different ambition, and even some of them are console/PC games (FF, GTA, some indies...)
So, no, it's not a "mobile game" "in a pretty disguise". Again, it doesn't mean anything.
It's not a "limited experience". Did you even experienced Animal Crossing games? I doubt it. The content is huge. Everything is perfectly done, around the fact the game is real time, with AND without you. The way everything interacts. Plus it's super accessible. They designed the game so everyone can enjoy it. If you wake up early in the morning, or if you go to bed late, you'll find things for you.

Jun 26, 2018
Can you try to argument without having to deteriorate the serie with things like "mobile game"? It doesn't mean anything, it has no value. "Mobile game" isn't a type of game, just open the playstore or appstore and discover that there is plenty of different games, with different ambition, and even some of them are console/PC games (FF, GTA, some indies...)
So, no, it's not a "mobile game" "in a pretty disguise". Again, it doesn't mean anything.
It's not a "limited experience". Did you even experienced Animal Crossing games? I doubt it. The content is huge. Everything is perfectly done, around the fact the game is real time, with AND without you. The way everything interacts. Plus it's super accessible. They designed the game so everyone can enjoy it. If you wake up early in the morning, or if you go to bed late, you'll find things for you.

Well, the key words were "time gating" which is mostly synonymous with mobile games these days, even when featured in console/PC games.

Also I've played every Animal Crossing there is, though I'm honestly wondering why, I never really bought into the "it's a real place, in real time" idea, and I see it for the artifice it is, I guess I played them because they were cute, but I could certainly do without the 24 hour clock, so I wouldn't have to play only at night most of the time.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't they get around that problem by incluing date stamps in the save files on the cloud server and comparing them when loading? If the elaspsed time between the timestamp and the current time the file is loaded don't match (with a certain amount of time for error) then do not allow the player to open such save file as tampering has occurred (wether too far into the future or in the past). Not sure how to account for consoles that have moved time zones though (the owner moved).

Deleted member 53692

user requested account closure
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
France
Well, the key words were "time gating" which is mostly synonymous with mobile games these days, even when featured in console/PC games.

Also I've played every Animal Crossing there is, though I'm honestly wondering why, I never really bought into the "it's a real place, in real time" idea, and I see it for the artifice it is, I guess I played them because they were cute, but I could certainly do without the 24 hour clock, so I wouldn't have to play only at night most of the time.
But that's Animal Crossing! Without the real time, it would be like Stardew Valley or Sims without needs, without life when you're not playing, and with less management, but with animals around you. I think you can see the AC concept fall from here. Why don't you have to eat in AC? Because obviously developpers don't want your character to die when you're not playing for various reasons, because real time, so always running. Same reason for other needs.
In the mobile game Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, there is no weekly timed events, such as kkslider saturday night. And you can experience how much AC lose interest with that kind of things. You can do the same things all day, every day. When main serie is about the surprise every day. The new things. New day, new discoveries. New furniture at Nook. New clothes at able sisters. One day, Redd is here. Meeting KK saturday with friends. Halloween? Same time as real life, you can set your disguise and decorate your home and in game home. Same for christmas, new year, easter, birthday... That's how it designed to be played. The real time clock runs the entire concept.

Jun 26, 2018
But that's Animal Crossing! Without the real time, it would be like Stardew Valley or Sims without needs, without life when you're not playing, and with less management, but with animals around you. I think you can see the AC concept fall from here. Why don't you have to eat in AC? Because obviously developpers don't want your character to die when you're not playing for various reasons, because real time, so always running. Same reason for other needs.
In the mobile game Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, there is no weekly timed events, such as kkslider saturday night. And you can experience how much AC lose interest with that kind of things. You can do the same things all day, every day. When main serie is about the surprise every day. The new things. New day, new discoveries. New furniture at Nook. New clothes at able sisters. One day, Redd is here. Meeting KK saturday with friends. Halloween? Same time as real life, you can set your disguise and decorate your home and in game home. Same for christmas, new year, easter, birthday... That's how it designed to be played. The real time clock runs the entire concept.

I actually liked stardew valley way more than AC, when it comes to the small city life experience, but I would say that game makes the opposite mistake, by having time go too fast / force you to do certain things at certain times (i.e. sleep).

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Item manipulation is the official reason. You can cheat by save scumming to get the rare items.
I don't think any I would provide would convince you. Even if we assume these games are doing something no other game is (a notion I find rather ridiculous) there would still be ways of implementing cloud saves while preserving the integrity of the game file through online authentication and/or flagging suspected abuses.

Yeah it's all stored locally, which is absurd for a game of its nature.
Thanks. I wonder if they will change this with Splatoon 3 (keep the data server side).

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
This is like, the one game where I really need a good way to back up the save file. Hopefully Nintendo changes this.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think rather than Nintendo being backwards here it is the particular dev team, all other Nintendo devs are fine with cloud saves afaik. The issue here is Nintendo giving a dev team that much power for what should be a base feature for every game.

farcrysam

Prophet of Regret
Nov 1, 2017
Wait What happens if I want to share the game with someone on a different account on the same switch. We have access to the same file?

loonejp

Feb 12, 2019
In an AC discord I follow we are trying to do a petition, with multiple languages, so we can ask for Nintendo to find a way out of this issue. I'm not sure at all it'll work but at least we would have tried (I'm french sorry for the grammar and all), and since Nintendo listened to the fan about Mario Maker we think we can have a chance. I don't know if I'm allowed and/or if some would be interested to post it here when it's done ?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more surprised if it did support cloud saves tbh. This is the most on brand Nintendo move.

loonejp

Feb 12, 2019
Hi, the petition about this issue is ready, can someone tell me if I'm allowed to post it here please?

loonejp

Feb 12, 2019
Hi, so I had the confirmation that I can post the petition on this thread! Aya Kyogoku said that they listened to fan, so we would like them to know that we understand their issue with the save cloud but we'd like for them to find any other solutions so we don't risk to lose our save on Animal Crossing New Horizons if our console stops working.
If you're interested by this topic, don't hesitate to sign the petition, and even share it, it would really help us!
Petition about the save cloud for Animal Crossing New Horizons

loonejp

Feb 12, 2019
Sorry I didn't see your answer until now! I don't much about era, I'm mostly on it to read what people think before a direct happen or else (and I'm french, I don't know how to write well, so I don't write a lot!). I'm sorry but I didn't understand what you mean by "copied to OP", is it something I can do to share the petition?

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
i stg if this guy was in charge of mario he'd be like no cloud saves to avoid people save scumming 1ups after they die, god damn

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll prevent you from changing the time with an in game menu too.