• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via BuzzFeed News:
A high school football coach in Oregon wrestled a student to the ground after he walked into a classroom armed with a shotgun Friday, sending students scrambling for cover.

Portland police responded to a report of a man armed with a gun at Parkrose High School at 11:48 a.m. When officers arrived, the suspect, identified by police as a student at the school, was being detained in the hallway by a staff member.

No one was injured. Investigators were still trying to determine Friday evening whether any shots were fired, the police bureau said.

"Incidents such as the one that occurred today strikes the worst fear in the hearts of students and parents," Portland police chief Danielle Outlaw said in a statement. "The officers and school staff worked together to respond quickly and ensure the safety of all involved. I commend the school staff member who displayed quick actions and bravery when he confronted the subject."
The staff member was identified by local outlets as football coach Keanon Lowe, a former wide receiver for the University of Oregon's football team and analyst for the San Francisco 49ers.

"I'm just happy everyone was OK," Lowe said as he left the school, according to the Oregonian. "I'm happy I was able to be there for the kids and for the community."
Dude's a hero. Lock if old.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if at this point teachers have realized the early signs of potential shooters. This is the best way to keep on preventing them

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great story yet the mainstream media won't pick this one up.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keanon was always one of the classiest players around. What a hero. Seriously incredibly dude.

As an aside people probably remember as he caught a TD pass from Mariota in the 2015 Title Game.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Great story yet the mainstream media won't pick this one up.
It was the lead story when my parents were watching the news on ABC earlier today

Kinda surprised that this story wasn't posted on Era earlier

Dude is a legit hero.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was the lead story when my parents were watching the news on ABC earlier today

Kinda surprised that this story wasn't posted on Era earlier

Dude is a legit hero.
Well that's good to hear. Guy deserves to get recognized.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Lowe has a family.... a person shouldn't have to risk everything, just to prevent some nut with a fire arm from trying to kill God knows how many people.

Thankfully it worked out this time.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Am I really the only one who's going to point out the amusing irony of a Police Chief being "Chief Outlaw"? Come on now y'all.

Oh also very glad to read nobody was hurt. Hope the kid gets the help he clearly needs.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this was pretty close to my home. Glad he was able to stop anyone from being hurt.

Am I really the only one who's going to point out the amusing irony of a Police Chief being "Chief Outlaw"? Come on now y'all.
The irony wears off pretty quickly if you live here. I'm really hoping Portland can replace her with someone a bit less fascist.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yea you know sensible gun control laws could stop school shooters too.

I mean big ups homeboy and all. But there's more sensible ways to stop shooters than a man tackling someone.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking christ. The man's a hero, but it's just so horrifying that this was so close to happening again. That it's always so close. Fuck this bullshit.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of crazy that he was able to not just disarm him, but calm him down, then even console him.

That man truly is a fucking hero, damn.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was probably supposed to be both.

People typically don't get multiple guns, and bring them to school just to commit suicide without taking action first.

Also, that claim is provided by the defense lawyers, of course that's what they're going to try to claim.
The research on this subject suggests that most school shootings done by teenagers start as suicides, the shooters start out suicidal and then trend towards a mix of violence against others and suicide. He was probably intending to shoot other students and then kill himself, but he did not (both because he was stopped and because he hesitated and was not fully commited to shooting anyone: AFAIK he didn't fire any shots at all, right?)

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The research on this subject suggests that most school shootings done by teenagers start as suicides, the shooters start out suicidal and then trend towards a mix of violence against others and suicide. He was probably intending to shoot other students and then kill himself, but he did not (both because he was stopped and because he hesitated and was not fully commited to shooting anyone: AFAIK he didn't fire any shots at all, right?)
Oh, I know.

I just mainly wanted to clarify that poster's comments, since they weren't clear, and I didn't want people to get the wrong impression of that take as if it was just a suicide attempt.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Dude is a hero. Wasn't his job or anything but he took the ultimate risk. Here I was assuming he wrestled him to the ground and manhandled him but he was good enough the calm the kid down after he was disarmed.

I don't believe it was just a suicide attempt though. He may have wanted to die but he possibly wanted to take countless innocents with him.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine what kind of empathy and bravery you have to possess to disarm this kind of situation like that. Fucking hero. I am glad everyone is safe.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I know.

I just mainly wanted to clarify that poster's comments, since they weren't clear, and I didn't want people to get the wrong impression of that take as if it was just a suicide attempt.
I think it's possible this kid wasn't actually set on killing someone. I mean the fact that this coach even had the opportunity to intervene before any harm came to students suggests that there was a significant degree of hesitation and doubt in the kid. There was obviously evidence of that as well, hence his sentence.

The prosecutors in this case did not think this was anything but a suicide attempt either. People commit suicide in public places to avoid being found first by family, this is actually really common. There is literally zero reason for prosecutors to believe an alcoholic hispanic kid that he was only going to commit suicide in public unless there is significant evidence to that effect.

Last edited: