• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At just under a minute in that video, the would-be-shooter touches the coach's face gently. That part is sitting with me in a weird way that I can't quite parse just yet.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's possible this kid wasn't actually set on killing someone. I mean the fact that this coach even had the opportunity to intervene before any harm came to students suggests that there was a significant degree of hesitation and doubt in the kid. There was obviously evidence of that as well, hence his sentence.
Anything is possible, but I just don't see the point of arguing semantics, and nitpicking the incident here since we have the benefit of hindsight.

I just don't see the point of trying to point out it was a suicide attempt. What is the particular reason to do that for this story? That's really what I was trying to get at if you know what I mean.

It doesn't make what the coach did any less brave, nor does it change the fact it was a student who brought guns to the school intending to harm, even if it's just himself.

That should really be the crux of this story.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anything is possible, but I just don't see the point of arguing semantics, and nitpicking the incident here since we have the benefit of hindsight.

I just don't see the point of trying to point out it was a suicide attempt. What is the particular reason to do that for this story? That's really what I was trying to get at if you know what I mean.

It doesn't make what the coach did any less brave, nor does it change the fact it was a student who brought guns to the school intending to harm, even if it's just himself.

That should really be the crux of this story.
I mean if you read the article it spells all of that out for you. He only pointed the gun at himself, all evidence points to it being suicide, prosecutors believe it was a suicide attempt and they have every incentive to pursue heavier charges if the evidence suggested otherwise.

The difference is that the kid in question is getting painted as a potential murderer and that's not true. Him committing suicide in his classroom his dangerous and traumatic for other students but it's worth pointing out he didn't intend to murder anyone. Especially because his name is being plastered all over the media and he probably wants to move on with his life

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Damn, I was not expecting what happened in that video.

It's putting me in an emotional state. That kid was in pain. Glad the coach did this.

Idk if this is the course of action for all situations , but the coach felt it was the way. And it was. Kudos.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I was not expecting what happened in that video.

It's putting me in an emotional state. That kid was in pain. Glad the coach did this.

Idk if this is the course of action for all situations , but the coach felt it was the way. And it was. Kudos.
Same. Imagining what was being said and where they both were in their heads during that time is doing my head in.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if you read the article it spells all of that out for you. He only pointed the gun at himself, all evidence points to it being suicide, prosecutors believe it was a suicide attempt and they have every incentive to pursue heavier charges if the evidence suggested otherwise.

The difference is that the kid in question is getting painted as a potential murderer and that's not true. Him committing suicide in his classroom his dangerous and traumatic for other students but it's worth pointing out he didn't intend to murder anyone. Especially because his name is being plastered all over the media and he probably wants to move on with his life
I guess that's fair.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

Ah I didnt realize this

explains a whole lot with the video

an actual shooter wouldn't likely do that. Pretty heavy stuff, and we can only hope the kid gets better

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess that's fair.
He's been through enough already
Ah I didnt realize this

explains a whole lot with the video

an actual shooter wouldn't likely do that. Pretty heavy stuff, and we can only hope the kid gets better
Exactly. It's still heroic that the coach stopped him, but what he really did was prevent a public suicide in front of a bunch of high school students, not a mass shooting.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
glad the coach was able to disarm him before that kid did something he could never take back.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Been going to Duck games my whole life and have seen him play many times, but never thought I'd see a former player be re-introduced on the field as the hero who stopped a school shooting. But it doesn't surprise me that Keanon would handle it in such an incredible way. He's always been an amazing guy.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I first saw this update on Deadspin, and they also inadertently linked to another, older article about the coach from back when he was still playing at Oregon:

According to The Oregonian's John Canzano, last week's Fiesta Bowl featured a real-life Rudy moment. Coming into the game, Oregon's Dane Ebanez had never made a bowl-game appearance, despite playing at the school for four years and being named scout team player of the year in successive seasons.

In the closing minutes of the Fiesta Bowl, one of Ebanez's teammates, Keanon Lowe, sought to change that by faking an injury just before an Oregon kickoff. Ebanez was sent into the game in Lowe's place, and very nearly made a tackle on the play.

Just another way to show the coach in this situation is a legit good dude. Give him the key to the city! :)

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Properly misty eyed.

Could nit-pick about the circumstances, but either way it's true bravery.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think he was planning to kill others.

If that was his plan, I think he would have reacted differently after the Coach took his shotgun.

But if he was planning to only kill himself...and the Coach talk/saved him from doing so, then the actions that happen afterwards with the tight hugging makes sense.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I have to agree for now that it seemed like he was in it to harm himself and no one else. (at least physically, obviously seeing a classmate die in front of you would have an affect on you)

That being said Coach did it in litteraly the best possible way. GG Coach, you did good.
Hope the kid gets the help he very much clearly needs.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Jesus. The kids fleeing.

When I was in grade school my biggest fear was people making fun of my acne.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
The coach is a god damn hero. Much respect.

Seeing the kids flee is heartbreaking.

Oct 26, 2017
California

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Coach better damn well have a guaranteed job for life at that school, at the very least. I can't believe he didn't just beat the shit out of the kid as soon as he had him disarmed, out of fear he had more weapons on him.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thread title does this a disservice imo. This is such a great moment of humanity and tenderness.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
How are all these disturbed kids so easily accessing FireArms...

We need tech that can lock guns with passwords

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
The sign that says "Nelzep <3" (or Melzep?) is really making my head spin. It almost adds something strangely fictional and supernatural to this incident.