• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely think a lot of these late releases are going to be hard to find at some point. Most of the attention has moved on to the Switch and I'm sure retailers and Nintendo know that, leading to smaller print runs.

Alien Chaos 3D is expensive now? Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Got my copy for $10 at a Kmart. Never seen another one in any store. Even Kmart is gone now or not carrying games anymore.

There were a few hard to find games in those Kmart clearance sales. Madden, Oregon Trail, Alien Chaos 3D, and American Mensa Academy are all ones that I picked up for $10 or less at KMart. Really miss them carrying games. I got so many games from their clearance sales for under $10 new.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
NIB Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance - Mark of Mastery Edition

I had a chance to get this when it first came out and literally when I sat down to order it it disappeared. Somewhat irrelevant now with the PS4 version but still a pricey item.

I think another very expensive 3DS game is the Louvre Guide. Another I had the chance to buy when I was in France but passed up at the cash and now totally regret.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Any/all late Atlus releases, yo-kai blasters and yo-kai 3, Jake Hunter Detective Story: Ghost of the Dusk (most forgot this came out).

Also long shot that I think will go up in price when people realize it was an overlooked gem would be Ever Oasis.

Heck, Xmas time I couldn't even find a Yokai Watch Blasters: cat version. And the game just came out recently.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I could see Culdcept Revolt getting rare. Super niche game that seems to have been well received but flopped hard. I doubt it will get another print run and the initial one probably isn't too high.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Demand seems low though. You could buy the limited edition for less than MSRP for a long time.
That's the key, if the supply finally dries up prices could start to skyrocket. I think I paid $5 for Fire Emblem PoR at gamestop. I got my metroid prime trilogy new for $20. Look at pretty much every single sega saturn game.

Who knows though, could be cheap forever. But to me it looks like it checks all the boxes of

• Long running, niche series
  • Very positive critic and user reception
  • Text heavy and region locked
  • Likely low print run
  • Collectible genre (JRPG of sorts)

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Heck, Xmas time I couldn't even find a Yokai Watch Blasters: cat version. And the game just came out recently.
Yeah, I noticed that there wasn't many copies of that game in Toronto. I luckily bought my copy (white dog) when it came out but I was seeing some shops only get 1 of the 2 versions and only like 1-2 copies. So I expect Yo-kai 3 to be so much worse, so i'm even considering an eb pre-order. -.-

I could see Culdcept Revolt getting rare. Super niche game that seems to have been well received but flopped hard. I doubt it will get another print run and the initial one probably isn't too high.
I wonder how badly the game did because you can so easily pick up the LE new off amazon for cheap. Like I got mine for under $40 us after tax just a few months back.

7th Dragon III Code VFD will probably go up, if it hasn't already.
I've seen the LE new go up a little bit. I keep looking at the copy my local game shop has and be tempted to buy it every time i'm there.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I just sold Fantasy Life for like $30. I'm sure it'll be worth more in a few years but it's been collecting dust

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I've been curious for a while if it would be worth it to buy a copy of Minecraft 3DS. Probably not though, since I'd never play it.

DQ VI and IX don't seem to have sold for that much lately, but it looks like import copies of DQXI 3DS have gotten up there. (I still need to figure out how I'm going to play this thing...)

Also, this reminds me I wanted to get copies of both Luigi's Mansion games and New Leaf physically, even though I already have a couple of those digitally.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
That's the key, if the supply finally dries up prices could start to skyrocket. I think I paid $5 for Fire Emblem PoR at gamestop. I got my metroid prime trilogy new for $20. Look at pretty much every single sega saturn game.

Who knows though, could be cheap forever. But to me it looks like it checks all the boxes of

• Likely low print run

Yea, there are tons of examples of games getting clearanced because there was little demand upon release only to be considered worthy of Collectors later. My collection is full of games cleared out cheaply only to become pricey later once stock dried up and demand went up.

Even Earthbound was famously clearanced out at most retailers.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

• Likely low print run
PoR was around $30 until Awakening came out in 2013 and reinvigorated the franchise, which created a huge spike in demand. Games don't usually skyrocket in price like that unless something unusual happens

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
An indicator that beats all those is the other games in the series.

Both Culdcept and Culdcept Saga are low-mid tier in terms of pricing.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Ended up buying 3ds wario ware at full price here in Canada because I haven't seen it on sale or even in stores. The new Mario rpg could also go that way.

Eddie Bax

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
In my experience across several console cycles, late-released games, low-print run RPGs and hidden gems always seem like the safest bets to hold/increase their value, although reprints after official support for a console has ended are not completely unheard of these days, like the Yakuza PS2 reprints and Infinite Space reprint on DS in the last few years.

Even for non-rare games, though, we're still coming up on great period to buy as stores start clearing out their 3DS inventories. Even if a game never hits a huge price in future, if you only paid $5 you're likely going to come out ahead if/when you sell, no matter what.

Jan 2, 2018
Thanks for the head up OP,I still need to get Ultra Sun and then I have all the 3DS pokemon games and then..then,the real test begins: hunting down the DS pokemon games at somewhat reasonable price..
At least I don't have to look for Ruby since I already got the remake. But Platinum and BW1/2 will be a tough find,and I have zero hopes for SS/HG.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are any of the consoles themselves becoming rare? I cherish my NA white regular n3DS, and I imported the white faceplates from NoJ to get it to be all-white. It's exactly the 3DS I always wanted.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Are any of the consoles themselves becoming rare? I cherish my NA white regular n3DS, and I imported the white faceplates from NoJ to get it to be all-white. It's exactly the 3DS I always wanted.

I'd hold onto the regular sized N3DS. That model clearly didn't get the same production run numbers its XL counter part did. Does that mean it'll be a sought after variant the same way the Playstation (Vita) TV is, in certain circles? Probably a bit soon to tell, but I'm leaning towards yes on that one. That model was always bundled with something, and the Black Friday limited editions from Wal-Mart certainly weren't cheap the last time I checked.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd hold onto the regular sized N3DS. That model clearly didn't get the same production run numbers its XL counter part did. Does that mean it'll be a sought after variant the same way the Playstation (Vita) TV is, in certain circles? Probably a bit soon to tell, but I'm leaning towards yes on that one. That model was always bundled with something, and the Black Friday limited editions from Wal-Mart certainly weren't cheap the last time I checked.
Thanks for the insight. Holy shit, I did not know the Vita TV had gotten so rare/sought after -- retailers were practically giving it away close to the end of its production run. Huh.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
RPGs on Nintendo systems have a tendancy to have high value after its lifetime. So that's a good bet.

The very last games on systems are also often valuable. So I guess Kirby and Mario+Luigi could be a bit pricy in the future because of what is likely their limited presence.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I've been curious for a while if it would be worth it to buy a copy of Minecraft 3DS. Probably not though, since I'd never play it.

DQ VI and IX don't seem to have sold for that much lately, but it looks like import copies of DQXI 3DS have gotten up there. (I still need to figure out how I'm going to play this thing...)

Also, this reminds me I wanted to get copies of both Luigi's Mansion games and New Leaf physically, even though I already have a couple of those digitally.

I didn't know Dragon Quest XI 3DS was climbing in value. Was the print run in Japan decent? I'm still holding out hope Nintendo will bring it over along with the Switch version. I'm under the impression the script for it is identical to the PS4 version. Localizing it shouldn't drain to many resources in theory, I hope.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Specially that last one, I rarely saw a copy of it on store shelves.
Oh my gosh. I forgot about Mystery Journal entirely. I don't think I'd ever even seen the box art til now. Now it's around $100 and my collection of the series will forever be incomplete.

WAY cheaper in the US. I may get it shipped to a friend.

Anarki

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know Dragon Quest XI 3DS was climbing in value. Was the print run in Japan decent? I'm still holding out hope Nintendo will bring it over along with the Switch version. I'm under the impression the script for it is identical to the PS4 version. Localizing it shouldn't drain to many resources in theory, I hope.
It's a mainline Dragon Quest, it sold more than a million in two days on 3DS

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
PoR was around $30 until Awakening came out in 2013 and reinvigorated the franchise, which created a huge spike in demand. Games don't usually skyrocket in price like that unless something unusual happens

I'm constantly picking up titles cheap and then watching them increase in price. It's a common theme in collecting. Now not all games that get clearanced will be pricey, but if/when the stock dries up the price will inevitably start to increase. How much comes down to a few things, but I think it's more important to know how many there are overall in the wild is more indicative of whether they will become pricey titles instead of how cheap they were sold.

Some examples off the top of my head

Metroid Prime Trilogy
Kirby Dream Collection
Earthbound
Klonoa 1 and 2 (GBA)
Blender Bros
Ivy the Kiwi

Even a lot of shovelware titles end up clearanced out only to become pricey at a later point. Just a quick example Veggy World on Wii is a prime example. Game was all over eBay for less than $10 for years but it wasn't found often in the wild so it ended up becoming pricey once those eBay copies dried up.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Actually when I look now, the recent completed listings seem to be around 30ish dollars, so not that much. I could've sworn I saw something like 60-ish when I last posted. Apologies. I must've forgotten to click on completed listings last time or something. Even then, there are a lot cheaper than 60 now.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm constantly picking up titles cheap and then watching them increase in price. It's a common theme in collecting. Now not all games that get clearanced will be pricey, but if/when the stock dries up the price will inevitably start to increase. How much comes down to a few things, but I think it's more important to know how many there are overall in the wild is more indicative of whether they will become pricey titles instead of how cheap they were sold.

Some examples off the top of my head

Metroid Prime Trilogy
Kirby Dream Collection
Earthbound
Klonoa 1 and 2 (GBA)
Blender Bros
Ivy the Kiwi

Even a lot of shovelware titles end up clearanced out only to become pricey at a later point. Just a quick example Veggy World on Wii is a prime example. Game was all over eBay for less than $10 for years but it wasn't found often in the wild so it ended up becoming pricey once those eBay copies dried up.
It happens, but like I said, something has to drive demand. The Klonoa GBA games aren't expensive so idk what you are talking about there, and Ivy the Kiwi is only expensive on Wii. Otherwise, all the other games you mentioned had something to spike demand, things like Youtubers mentioning them, reinvigorated popularity in the franchise, etc. Prices go up when supply is low and demand is high, both have to happen and demand doesn't rise solely because a game is rare (most of the time).

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It happens, but like I said, something has to drive demand. The Klonoa GBA games aren't expensive so idk what you are talking about there, and Ivy the Kiwi is only expensive on Wii. Otherwise, all the other games you mentioned had something to spike demand, things like Youtubers mentioning them, reinvigorated popularity in the franchise, etc. Prices go up when supply is low and demand is high, both have to happen and demand doesn't rise solely because a game is rare (most of the time).

Of course demand has to be above the supply that is available for prices to increase. That's simple supply and demand. It doesn't have to be anything specific actually driving that demand. It could be organic demand from people wanting to collect for that system and copies of a specific game are harder to find.

On the other hand, it could be something like a Game was initially overlooked when it released and over time became known as a good game, which is specifically what some were claiming for Culdcept Revolt.

You have to keep in mind that there is a finite number of games for any system and in most cases they won't be reprinted once the system is dead (more so on cartridge based systems). That means as time goes on demand for new copies will almost assuredly outpace supply and the chances are increased that complete copies in good shape will also have demand start outweighing supply.

One more point I would add is once these games are cleared out, it's in the hands of resellers and scalpers, who aren't going to be in a hurry to sell their copies for $5-$10 that they paid for them.

Klonoa on the GBA is one game that is more expensive than it used to be. It used to go for $15 or less for a new copy on eBay. Now when you find the first Klonoa on GBA new it's pusing $100.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course demand has to be above the supply that is available for prices to increase. That's simple supply and demand. It doesn't have to be anything specific actually driving that demand. It could be organic demand from people wanting to collect for that system and copies of a specific game are harder to find.

On the other hand, it could be something like a Game was initially overlooked when it released and over time became known as a good game, which is specifically what some were claiming for Culdcept Revolt.

You have to keep in mind that there is a finite number of games for any system and in most cases they won't be reprinted once the system is dead (more so on cartridge based systems). That means as time goes on demand for new copies will almost assuredly outpace supply and the chances are increased that complete copies in good shape will also have demand start outweighing supply.

One more point I would add is once these games are cleared out, it's in the hands of resellers and scalpers, who aren't going to be in a hurry to sell their copies for $5-$10 that they paid for them.

Klonoa on the GBA is one game that is more expensive than it used to be. It used to go for $15 or less for a new copy on eBay. Now when you find the first Klonoa on GBA new it's pusing $100.
I assumed you were talking about used copies, new copies is an entirely different ball game for anything retro. Most of your examples are due to specific events increasing demand though, as opposed to general scarcity and general collecting desires causing an overall increase in prices. That's why Path of Radiance is a bad example, games don't just go from $30 to $120 overnight unless something external is driving that demand...which is exactly what happened with PoR.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the insight. Holy shit, I did not know the Vita TV had gotten so rare/sought after -- retailers were practically giving it away close to the end of its production run. Huh.
Glancing at eBay it doesn't seem to be too bad. A lot of the sold listings for used PSTVs seem to be either at or below the original MSRP (I think it was like $120?). Way higher than the $30 clearance price I paid for one of mine a few years ago, but not exactly outrageous.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed you were talking about used copies, new copies is an entirely different ball game for anything retro. Most of your examples are due to specific events increasing demand though, as opposed to general scarcity and general collecting desires causing an overall increase in prices. That's why Path of Radiance is a bad example, games don't just go from $30 to $120 overnight unless something external is driving that demand...which is exactly what happened with PoR.

Sure, something normally drives an overnight increase like that.

My main point though is there are lots of examples where demand is low upon release, or during a consoles lifespan which leads to games getting clearanced out for cheap, or on sale for cheap, only to become pricey titles down the road for a variety of reasons.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, something normally drives an overnight increase like that.

My main point though is there are lots of examples where demand is low upon release, or during a consoles lifespan which leads to games getting clearanced out for cheap, or on sale for cheap, only to become pricey titles down the road for a variety of reasons.
Yeah it can definitely happen, but it's not a sure thing.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it can definitely happen, but it's not a sure thing.

Yea, I can definitely agree with that. Just look at all the GBA and DS titles that are still available for under $15 new all these years later.

I do think there are things that increase the likelihood.

-Releases late in a consoles lifecycle
-especially those that are critically acclaimed, or fan favorites
-certain genres historically tend to be more likely to increase significantly (obvious example RPG's)
-games from certain publishers or even franchises that may be niche, but have a passionate following

Still, as you mention there is no certainty that any game will become pricey as there are just too many variables.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, I can definitely agree with that. Just look at all the GBA and DS titles that are still available for under $15 new all these years later.

I do think there are things that increase the likelihood.

-Releases late in a consoles lifecycle
-especially those that are critically acclaimed, or fan favorites
-certain genres historically tend to be more likely to increase significantly (obvious example RPG's)
-games from certain publishers or even franchises that may be niche, but have a passionate following

Still, as you mention there is no certainty that any game will become pricey as there are just too many variables.
Yup, I would agree with all of that.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
There are certain systems that are rare and fetch a high price but for normal units not really. The units going for high prices are the chotto series that were a Nintendo club exclusive and few tournaments Pokémon units. For normal LE the first fire emblem le goes for a lot.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Glancing at eBay it doesn't seem to be too bad. A lot of the sold listings for used PSTVs seem to be either at or below the original MSRP (I think it was like $120?). Way higher than the $30 clearance price I paid for one of mine a few years ago, but not exactly outrageous.

Perhaps pricing has calmed down a bit, but whenever I've gone looking for one the prices where outrageous.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Just thought I'd come in here for a nice FYI reminder.

Go preorder Etrian Odyssey Nexus. It's a late RPG release, it comes with more than regular packaging, EO2r and 4 are some of the higher priced used 3DS games.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
This thread might be a little tricky, but I think this is a good topic.

It's a great topic, and I tend to follow all of these kinds of threads as collector. However, as others have said, Amazon is total shit for getting a handle on pricing. Here's what the games in the OP are actually going for:

PW2 - $36
Robobot - $30
FE Awakening - $36
Uprising - $33

Certainly holding value and all are candidates to shoot up in price (which is the point of the thread) but Amazon is misleading as all hell:

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-...47964318&sr=8-1&keywords=super+mario+bros+nes

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great topic, and I tend to follow all of these kinds of threads as collector. However, as others have said, Amazon is total shit for getting a handle on pricing. Here's what the games in the OP are actually going for:

PW2 - $36
Robobot - $30
FE Awakening - $36
Uprising - $33

Certainly holding value and all are candidates to shoot up in price (which is the point of the thread) but Amazon is misleading as all hell:

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-...47964318&sr=8-1&keywords=super+mario+bros+nes

It's also important to note that some may want new copies, which makes it even more important to watch these games.

I prefer new on current gen titles myself, but will take used if they are in good shape and a new copy can't be found reasonable.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have Soul Hackers and Tales of the Abyss brand new and sealed, I expect they'll have some value someday.