• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I looked on ebay and pricecharting about Etrian Odyssey prices and they didn't seem god-awful (some of them). Never played the series but I wanted to give it a try. I might try to grab them sooner than later. If/when the series gets announced for Switch I could see prices jumping.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I expect more of these as people start looking back on the 3DS. It has a lot of amazing Nintendo games that are currently stuck on the platform, and could be for a long time.

Or 3DS exclusive indefinitely. The only 3DS game I remember making it to other platforms is Alliance Alive, and that looks like it got a small print run. It also seems like it's gone largely ignored. I'm sure there are one or two others but I can't remember them, and all of the above might say more about interest in seeing 3DS exclusives on other platforms than people care to think.

Last edited:

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
With the new Monster Hunter: Stories 2 trailer dropping today, I finally picked up a copy of the 3DS game for close to MSRP so I can check it out before July. A bit bummed I missed out when these were on discount a year and change ago, but figured at this point these won't be getting cheaper so I bit.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I expect more of these as people start looking back on the 3DS. It has a lot of amazing Nintendo games that are currently stuck on the platform, and could be for a long time.
I think once we move on from the switch to nintendo's next platform in 4-5 years we'll see much more of this content as people start to feel nostalgic for the platform and we get more videos diving into games that were sadly overlooked. I will say as is, things feel much better than they were at the start of the switch where there was so much vitriol towards anything 3DS as it was seen as stealing away resources/games from the switch.

The hell? Surprised there was a buyer. People are crazy.
Yup, I don't get some of the value being attached to some games in the past 2 years. I'm still impressed how the value of anything SMT went up 3-4x after P5 and the SMT switch announcements. I really should have grabbed some physical copies of Persona 1 & 3 when I was looking at them on amazon 4 years ago. =/ I look forward to seeing how insanely expensive my sealed Persona Q2 Showtime Ed goes for in 5 years. lol

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think once we move on from the switch to nintendo's next platform in 4-5 years we'll see much more of this content as people start to feel nostalgic for the platform and we get more videos diving into games that were sadly overlooked. I will say as is, things feel much better than they were at the start of the switch where there was so much vitriol towards anything 3DS as it was seen as stealing away resources/games from the switch.

Yup, I don't get some of the value being attached to some games in the past 2 years. I'm still impressed how the value of anything SMT went up 3-4x after P5 and the SMT switch announcements. I really should have grabbed some physical copies of Persona 1 & 3 when I was looking at them on amazon 4 years ago. =/
While I do collect, I primary collect to replay and revisit and to me, digital is not a bad option if I can't find a reasonable price. But I can see why some are physical or bust. Not me, thankfully!

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
While I do collect, I primary collect to replay and revisit and to me, digital is not a bad option if I can't find a reasonable price. But I can see why some are physical or bust. Not me, thankfully!
I'm actually both. I will admit I have a few games in my collection I won't open because I know they will be of some value long term but for the most part my collection is for playing and I buy both digital and physical when it makes sense. Part of the appeal with physical isn't really resale but just how games were for me as a kid (weather flipping through game manuals, looking at the boxes or just being at a game store and seeing all the games). I like combing through my collection to figure out something to play vs just seeing the icons on my device.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I will say as is, things feel much better than they were at the start of the switch where there was so much vitriol towards anything 3DS as it was seen as stealing away resources/games from the switch.

The port begging nonsense and the console shit posting were a real problem that alot of Switch fanatics were getting away with. I remember seeing multiple switch threads like that.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
The port begging nonsense and the console shit posting were a real problem that alot of Switch fanatics were getting away with. I remember seeing multiple switch threads like that.

Personally I love my Switch and from a business standpoint I do think it probably made sense for certain titles like Samus Returns to be crossgen, but I also was just so happy to have a 2D Metroid that nothing was really going to stop my enjoyment of that title lol.

It was a shame that so many not only asked for titles to release on Switch, but crapped on the 3DS in the process. It seems now that Nintendo has moved on its starting to allow people to view the 3DS with a more objective mindset.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
The nature of the platform makes it nearly impossible to emulate and play the games as intended unless you're on real hardware. It's going to be pretty collectible. The DS already has some bonkers prices.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
The nature of the platform makes it nearly impossible to emulate and play the games as intended unless you're on real hardware. It's going to be pretty collectible. The DS already has some bonkers prices.

Yea, I don't expect many to get re-releases. I think a lot of the titles could come over, obviously with changes, but even those Nintendo just doesn't seem interested in bringing to the Switch. Not that it matters to me :)

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I love my Switch and from a business standpoint I do think it probably made sense for certain titles like Samus Returns to be crossgen, but I also was just so happy to have a 2D Metroid that nothing was really going to stop my enjoyment of that title lol.

It was a shame that so many not only asked for titles to release on Switch, but crapped on the 3DS in the process. It seems now that Nintendo has moved on its starting to allow people to view the 3DS with a more objective mindset.

Or view it with a collectors mindset ;)

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Credit to Shizuka in another 3ds thread for pointing this out. PixelHeart is publishing Andros Dunos 2 for 3DS for release in september, there is both a EUR and a USA version on the site. If you use code PIXELHEARTLIVE you can get 10%? off, I got an extra 10 euro off my order for 2 copies.

Shop – PixelHeart

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up, the Mario & Luigi RPG remakes are getting pretty hard to find. As late 1st party releases, I could see them getting pretty rare.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed that Legend of Legacy and Alliance Alive were delisted at some point over the weekend from the NA eshop. I was waiting for an sale to pick up the former, but seems like physical is my only option now. Amazon US still has copies up for $20 for the moment.

I think these games were published by different publishers in other regions, so that may be less of an issue for other folks. Worth taking a look if you were hoping to pick these up at some point.

doodlebob442

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I noticed that Legend of Legacy and Alliance Alive were delisted at some point over the weekend from the NA eshop. I was waiting for an sale to pick up the former, but seems like physical is my only option now. Amazon US still has copies up for $20 for the moment.

I think these games were published by different publishers in other regions, so that may be less of an issue for other folks. Worth taking a look if you were hoping to pick these up at some point.

no they dont

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017

Atlus has been doing this with its third party releases, which both games are. First party is safe though.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
With the announcement of Metroid Dread, I was reminded of how I had completely missed out on Samus Returns due to it being such a late 3DS release. It looks like there are new copies still floating around for very close to MSRP, so I grabbed one.

With the increased interest in Metroid leading up to the new release, and the fact this sold relatively few copies (only around 100-500k according to the sales threads), this may be one that becomes a bit harder to find down the line. Thought I'd mention it in case anyone else missed out when it was first released.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With the announcement of Metroid Dread, I was reminded of how I had completely missed out on Samus Returns due to it being such a late 3DS release. It looks like there are new copies still floating around for very close to MSRP, so I grabbed one.

With the increased interest in Metroid leading up to the new release, and the fact this sold relatively few copies (only around 100-500k according to the sales threads), this may be one that becomes a bit harder to find down the line. Thought I'd mention it in case anyone else missed out when it was first released.
It's a love it or hate it type of game due to the counter mechanic and artstyle. I dug the mechanic and the style grew on me. It's a shame they made it so bright looking but it definitely grows on you. The only downside is the 3Ds has aged horriblely IQ wise

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Credit to Shizuka in another 3ds thread for pointing this out. PixelHeart is publishing Andros Dunos 2 for 3DS for release in september, there is both a EUR and a USA version on the site. If you use code PIXELHEARTLIVE you can get 10%? off, I got an extra 10 euro off my order for 2 copies.

Shop – PixelHeart

Does it use the 3D effect? I didn't see it mentioned on the site, not sure if I missed it.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017

The Legacy Edition has shot up in value here in the UK at least. It was £59.99 when it came out, now goes for up to £150 on Ebay

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 3DS' best launch game by a mile

s-l300.jpg

Bought this on launch with 3DS. I agree.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
I just don't get the hate for the hw side of 3ds....course my eyes are terrible. Maybe these 15 year old glasses don't give me the whole picture.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
shorthand for HardWare.

For his question in general, as much as I generally like the shell look of the old 3DS (and it's colors), the system had many faults (corners made it hard to hold for long periods of time, battery quickly draining even in sleep mode, lots of cross talk in the 3d, 3d sweet spot was hard to maintain for long periods of gaming, buttons on bottom screen causing scratches on the top screen, home row of buttons sometimes hard to push, etc...). Luckily the new line fixed a lot of these flaws (imo).

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
shorthand for HardWare.

For his question in general, as much as I generally like the shell look of the old 3DS (and it's colors), the system had many faults (corners made it hard to hold for long periods of time, battery quickly draining even in sleep mode, lots of cross talk in the 3d, 3d sweet spot was hard to maintain for long periods of gaming, buttons on bottom screen causing scratches on the top screen, home row of buttons sometimes hard to push, etc...). Luckily the new line fixed a lot of these flaws (imo).
Man, the corners of the OG 3DS were the worst. I really like the regular sized n3DS but even with that I found that the corners hurt my hands, specifically on some of the Samus Returns boss fights.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Corners were the worst, but I find that the original 3ds is the best way to play Kid Icarus Uprising for me. I do ok on the new 3ds, but my hands must have muscle memory of that original one. I can do better with it.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017

Same here. Where did you buy your copy? eBay?

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
This thread inspired me to buy some 3ds Pokémon games a while back, I now have a desire to actually play Pokémon (knew it would come) which brings up the keep sealed or open dilemma.

So two questions.
What is generally considered the very best Pokémon on 3ds?
Which are selling for more sealed?

I'm thinking regular old Moon seems low value while X/Y is likely to sell above rrp sealed so I'll open the former. But then moon might shoot up in price. Or I might actually enjoy Y more regardless of value.
The other option is keep them sealed and go for something on switch instead, or another 3ds game.

Last edited:

TheBarbarian

Oct 30, 2017
This thread inspired me to buy some 3ds Pokémon games a while back, I now have a desire to actually play Pokémon (knew it would come) which brings up the keep sealed or open dilemma.

So two questions.

I'm thinking regular old Moon seems low value while X/Y is likely to sell above rrp sealed so I'll open the former. But then Sun might shoot up in price. Or I might actually enjoy Y more regardless of value.
The other option is keep them sealed and go for something on switch instead, or another 3ds game.

Kero them sealed and buy the one you want to play digital if you are concerned about value long term.

I'd probably open whatever I wanted to play most. There were a lot of copies of Pokémon printed

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017

So two questions.

I'm thinking regular old Moon seems low value while X/Y is likely to sell above rrp sealed so I'll open the former. But then moon might shoot up in price. Or I might actually enjoy Y more regardless of value.

I always found the X/Y games to be the most enjoyable among the 3DS line. They really nailed EV/IV training approach in those games. Very beginner friendly. As for value, I'd say the Ultra Sun/Moon games are the ones you wanna look out for. They were story revisions/expansions, they were released at the tail end of 3DS, and likely had lower print runs. In that respect they'd be the Black 2/White 2 of their Pokemon generation.

Last edited:
I just don't get the hate for the hw side of 3ds....course my eyes are terrible. Maybe these 15 year old glasses don't give me the whole picture.

I don't get it either.
Was just playing last night, and I think the 3D generally looks spectacular.

Graphics are good enough for what they are - kinda have a unique look and feel to them.

I have zero major complaints about it.
I think people will look back at it quite fondly as time goes by.

Qark-Voss

Apr 22, 2022
For example the two SMT Devil Survivor are some of my biggest regrets. Also, the fact that buying something from LimitedRunGames is a bloodbath for Europeans combined with the region lock of the 3DS makes the collection of 3DS titles even more painful.