• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like in 10 years. YW3 physical release in USA will be seen as an urban myth on youtube retro 3ds videos.

(Yes I know you'll say "but we can google it and see it exist", that hasn't stopped them from getting easily verifiable information on GBA stuff wrong).

10 years from now I hope content creators would have already moved onto something alot better.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
10 years from now I hope content creators would have already moved onto something alot better.

To be fair, there are still content creators that are focused on NES. It takes a lot of experience and time to unravel a lot of each consoles secrets. Things like the NES black box variants and the order in which they were released took years to be fully understood. Hopefully, having a more active collector base documenting some of this stuff will help, but I'd bet there will still be content creators making some content for 3DS in 10 years (and NES still as well).

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, there are still content creators that are focused on NES. It takes a lot of experience and time to unravel a lot of each consoles secrets. Things like the NES black box variants and the order in which they were released took years to be fully understood. Hopefully, having a more active collector base documenting some of this stuff will help, but I'd bet there will still be content creators making some content for 3DS in 10 years (and NES still as well).

Definitely but I meant move onto something better than YouTube. I should have been more specific.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely but I meant move onto something better than YouTube. I should have been more specific.

Ah, I see. Yea, they may not be on YouTube but hopefully collectors are still gathering and documenting data. A lot of the old forums that used to buzz with collectors seem to have traffic slowing significantly. The same could happen to YouTube for sure.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if $70 Yo Kai 3 is a good price since it's impossible to find. What do think? Get it now or pay a lot more later on.

I hate to say yes, but the shit came out like 4 months and is ALREADY going for $70.

I haven't played much so I can't speak to it's quality, but it's worth something.

EDIT: Nevermind if you live in the US. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yo-Kai-W...MI-qjeuamX4wIVXrXACh1SZw83EAYYASABEgLAxPD_BwE

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always leery of paying over MSRP for modern games when the system is still being sold in stores and cart manufacturing is still occurring. I don't really think it will see a reprint at this time, but you never know. We saw a lot of rare DS games get reprinted well after the DS was no longer being sold but the argument could be made that was partly because of the 3DS backwards compatibility.

Mr_Kuschels

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always leery of paying over MSRP for modern games when the system is still being sold in stores and cart manufacturing is still occurring. I don't really think it will see a reprint at this time, but you never know. We saw a lot of rare DS games get reprinted well after the DS was no longer being sold but the argument could be made that was partly because of the 3DS backwards compatibility.
Beside that, if you're just looking to own a physical copy and play the game, there is a high chance they'll just release a Switch compilation of the first 3 games. I picked up so many games over the last years, just to "get burned" by rereleases on modern hardware.

NMFried

Oct 25, 2017
TX
Picked up a copy of Persona Q (the first one) at GameStop tonight. After some coupons, snagged it for $20.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Being pretty much the last (relevant) 3DS game, Persona Q2 I imagine will shoot up in price and rarity. I got the special edition of it about a week after it released for normal price.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
I scored a new copy for $20 at Target a month ago.
$100 for a game released this year. Whew. Wonder if Nintendo is seeing this and considering a reprint.

Come on, be real. Only Gamestop pulls that shit where they see how expensive it is going for and release more copies at higher than MSRP (new and used).

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mean that Nintendo would sell $100 copies, lol. I mean that they would reprint the game and sell it at the normal retail price.

Then they would be sitting on tons of overstock. There is a reason lots of publishers don't do more than 1 run, and it doesn't matter how much it goes for on the used market after the fact.

Maybe Sega should reprint Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Then they would be sitting on tons of overstock. There is a reason lots of publishers don't do more than 1 run, and it doesn't matter how much it goes for on the used market after the fact.

Maybe Sega should reprint Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Of course Sega should reprint Panzer Dragoon Saga!

But we're not talking about a game that's over 20 years old. We're talking about a game that was released just this year on a current system, and which is seeing demand outpace supply. Nintendo doesn't need to produce millions of new copies. They've probably got retail orders already, they could just fulfill those and produce a slight surplus, then call it a day, but the supply situation would be instantly better.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean that Nintendo would sell $100 copies, lol. I mean that they would reprint the game and sell it at the normal retail price.

The problem is that a lot of the demand for the game is coming from people picking it up for collecting purposes. They could sell more of them, and maybe they will, but they have to be careful. If they do a straight reprint the majority of those copies will likely be available for years. If they do a limited reprint then that would probably be the best scenario.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Worth mentioning on the reprint debate, persona q2 has been showing back in stock at some places here in Canada. I'm pretty sure sega is doing reprints much like EO nexus went out of stock but then came back in stock at a few stores off and on.

stephbm6

Jun 30, 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
I don't see Nintendo or Level 5 doing a 2nd print run of Yokai 3. A lot of stores are starting to get rid of their 3DS sections and Nintendo would rather sell a digital copy instead of manufacturing a 2nd run and maybe risk nobody buying it and loosing money on manufacturing.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Nintendo or Level 5 doing a 2nd print run of Yokai 3. A lot of stores are starting to get rid of their 3DS sections and Nintendo would rather sell a digital copy instead of manufacturing a 2nd run and maybe risk nobody buying it and loosing money on manufacturing.

Yea, if it were to get a reprint I doubt many stores would be willing to stock it and it would be a ln exclusive reprint from somewhere like GameStop.

I don't see it personally, but I also wouldn't be surprised and definitely wouldn't pay the absurd prices they go for while 3DS games are still being manufactured. To be fair though, I've also found some extremely pricey games in the wild for cheap and I've seen people spend well over MSRP on games to see them reprinted and drop in price dramatically.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I mean it's the way things work I guess, but I find it so disappointing that old games are becoming a luxury good.

I am in the process of scrambling to pick up some 3ds games I am interested on before things get out of control... the DS is a lost cause at this point.

Last edited:

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yea, if it were to get a reprint I doubt many stores would be willing to stock it and it would be a ln exclusive reprint from somewhere like GameStop.

Again this ignores that stores have restocked atlus last two 3DS games (Persona Q2 & Eo X). If a game is selling and a publisher offers to print more, stores will stock them.

With that said, I don't expect a restock because if we look back at Level 5 releases in the west, they have a habit of not getting huge print runs. Look at YW Blasters, look at Layton's Mystery Journey, look at Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, etc... I feel the only title to really stick around on store shelves was YW2 and it's 3 variants. =)

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Again this ignores that stores have restocked atlus last two 3DS games (Persona Q2 & Eo X). If a game is selling and a publisher offers to print more, stores will stock them.

With that said, I don't expect a restock because if we look back at Level 5 releases in the west, they have a habit of not getting huge print runs. Look at YW Blasters, look at Layton's Mystery Journey, look at Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, etc... I feel the only title to really stick around on store shelves was YW2 and it's 3 variants. =)

There are some key differences in my opinion. The Atlus games were likely restocks of the initial print run rather than an actual reprinting.

The restock also occurred much quicker after release when retailers would be more confident that there was still demand for the release.

We also have to remember the initial sales were probably small overall and since it's been a long time since YW3 and even longer for YW Blasters, I wouldn't hold my breath for a reprinting based on where we are in the 3DS life cycle.

At the same time, I've been clear that I also wouldn't be surprised and absolutely wouldn't be paying over MSRP for a title on a system that is still being sold in stores and cartridges are still being manufactured. Just sets you up for disappointment when a reprint does come.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up that Yokai Watch 3 is up on Amazon UK again for £32.

I just got on it, used a couple of discounts and got it for £16 which is pretty great.

It automatically tries to get you to buy it from Retro Games Nordic, but it is sold by Amazon themselves for 1p more, which allows you to add Amazon-only discounts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3DS-Yo-Kai-Watch-Nintendo/dp/B07KFT3G36

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's the way things work I guess, but I find it so disappointing that old games are becoming a luxury good.

I am in the process of scrambling to pick up some 3ds games I am interested on before things get out of control... the DS is a lost cause at this point.

A successful platform like the DS is never a lost cause as a whole. Sure, you shouldn't pay $60 or more for a game unless you really, really want it, but most games can be had in the $20 to $40 range, which is perfectly acceptable for a game you want to add to your collection imo.

Of course, if you mean specific niche games, then those are a different story, but that story has also been around since forever. Some games are basically launched as "rare" and become even rarer with time, and it's always been like that. Not every game will be Super Mario Bros. 3 that you can always get a copy of.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
Saw a Persona Q at Half Priced Book in Cedar Rapids, Iowa (near Lindale Mall) for $30. It was complete.

Already got a new copy from Target for $20 last month, so go get 'em CollectEra.

Edit: It's funny. I wasn't planning on getting Persona Q2 because I didn't have the first game nor would I ever get a good copy for cheap (Gamestop has it around $30 I think, but good luck finding a complete copy). Then when I found this and the guy price matched the $19.99 price on Gamestop's app (he shouldn't have done it without checking stock availability, but I'm not going to complain that he screwed up in my favor), I had to immediately order Q2 from Amazon.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
A successful platform like the DS is never a lost cause as a whole. Sure, you shouldn't pay $60 or more for a game unless you really, really want it, but most games can be had in the $20 to $40 range, which is perfectly acceptable for a game you want to add to your collection imo.

Of course, if you mean specific niche games, then those are a different story, but that story has also been around since forever. Some games are basically launched as "rare" and become even rarer with time, and it's always been like that. Not every game will be Super Mario Bros. 3 that you can always get a copy of.

I know but these days the market is much more stiff and things are scalped away at launch... Special editions (good ones) often are only available for sale for hours just to gather mold on a scalping closet.

I'm just bitter that the reselling economy has taken off that's all.

Last edited:

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I know but these days the market is much more stiff and things are scalped away at launch... Special editions (good ones) often are only available for sale for hours just to gather mold on a scalping closet.

I'm just bitter that the reselling economy has taken off that's all.

I agree the market is different than it was a couple gems ago. Everyone is trying to stay ahead of the collecting curve and pick things up before they go up in value. This leads to a shorter period of time when the prices are bottomed out.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I agree the market is different than it was a couple gems ago. Everyone is trying to stay ahead of the collecting curve and pick things up before they go up in value. This leads to a shorter period of time when the prices are bottomed out.

Yeah, that's a thing.

I've always preferred original goods, but... during the later DS - early to mid 3DS I hit a rough patch personal and economical and wow at this point it feels like I should just give up and homebrew a 2ds xl for "backups"... buying the things I missed while I couldn't afford them it's going to be a good chunk of cash =/

I just feel like I got tag teamed you know? When they were out and available I couldn't get them because I was fucked and now that I unfucked myself the scalpers and resellers are gonna fuck me over.

Anyways as I said, bitter rumblings that's all.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that's a thing.

I've always preferred original goods, but... during the later DS - early to mid 3DS I hit a rough patch personal and economical and wow at this point it feels like I should just give up and homebrew a 2ds xl for "backups"... buying the things I missed while I couldn't afford them it's going to be a good chunk of cash =/

I just feel like I got tag teamed you know? When they were out and available I couldn't get them because I was fucked and now that I unfucked myself the scalpers and resellers are gonna fuck me over.

Anyways as I said, bitter rumblings that's all.

Maybe you shouldn't try to buy everything at once. Make a priority list, with considerations for games that are more likely to go up in price, and start chipping away at it at your own pace. Also deals, restocks, and even reprints sometimes happen, as we've seen in this thread and elsewhere. So for a game with a price that's too steep, maybe let it be for now and see what happens with it.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Maybe you shouldn't try to buy everything at once. Make a priority list, with considerations for games that are more likely to go up in price, and start chipping away at it at your own pace. Also deals, restocks, and even reprints sometimes happen, as we've seen in this thread and elsewhere. So for a game with a price that's too steep, maybe let it be for now and see what happens with it.

That sounds like wise advice.

Majinkezz

Oct 29, 2017
Just a heads up that Yokai Watch 3 is up on Amazon UK again for £32.

I just got on it, used a couple of discounts and got it for £16 which is pretty great.

It automatically tries to get you to buy it from Retro Games Nordic, but it is sold by Amazon themselves for 1p more, which allows you to add Amazon-only discounts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3DS-Yo-Kai-Watch-Nintendo/dp/B07KFT3G36

Thanks for this!! Sorry If i'm being stupid but i'm not sure how to change the seller from RGN to Amazon. How did you do it??