• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
This thread might be a little tricky, but I think this is a good topic.

I'm talking about highlighting games that are out of print and encouraging those interested to get them before prices go up even more.

For example, in my time here, I've always pointed to Pokemon White 2 as the best Pokemon game. For the past few years it was always full price, then it went up to $40 which I maintained was a good deal, now it's $77 on Amazon. And I feel like now that the 3DS games are phasing out, a lot of good ones are going to go in this direction.

I was wondering why Kirby Robobot, the best Kirby game, hasn't had any discounts and that's because it seems to be out of print. Currently going for $47 on Amazon.

All 3DS Pokemons are going for $24.99 at Target which is a steal, just look at what the DS Pokemons go for now.

Definitely the last chance for Fire Emblem Awakening and Kid Icarus Uprising which were more expensive during the gen than they are now. Going for $47 and $59 respectively on Amazon.

So you get the idea. Is there anything you want to highlight and encourage people to pick up?

Or is it just a non issue and people will just get them used?

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
i bet most of the late releases like the luigis mansion port and warioware gold will be hard to find in a few years

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Star Fox 3D is out of print right? Good game right there.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter Stories by as already gone up in price. Get your Megaten before those prices become disgusting.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Much of this stuff doesn't bother me since there is the eShop. Same with ATLUS titles, which go on sale a lot too. Unless physical is your only choice for preference reasons. But it is much better than the DS situation.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Persona Q is at and exceeding full price for a new copy now. Probably the same for the other SMT spin-off titles.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The 3DS' best launch game by a mile

s-l300.jpg

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
If these 3DS games go out of print, then wouldn't the cheaper option be eventually the digital store other than getting it used?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, now's definitely the time to get the Pokemon 3DS games. Dragon Quest VII and VIII are probably smart to get now, too.

I tend to shop more on eBay than Amazon when it comes to this kind of thing though, so I'm not sure what prices for them are like there.

stop using amazon to gauge prices on something

use sold listings on ebay
Also, this.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Be careful about purchasing older, out of print 3DS games on Amazon or eBay. They will often send you a copy from the wrong region.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Any/all late Atlus releases, yo-kai blasters and yo-kai 3, Jake Hunter Detective Story: Ghost of the Dusk (most forgot this came out).

Also long shot that I think will go up in price when people realize it was an overlooked gem would be Ever Oasis.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Are the Yo-Kai Watch games predicted to go up in price?

EDIT: Thanks Chakoo.

3DS games, I feel will or are going to go up in price, that I want:
Etrian Odyssey V
Kirby Robobot
SMT Strange Story Redux
SMT Apocalypse
Shantae Pirates Curse
Fire Emblem Awakening
Project X Zone 2
Mario and Luigi Dream Team
Mario and Luigi Bowers Inside Story
the Alliance Alive (Launch Edition)

Upcoming 3DS that I want:

Persona Q2
Yo-kai Watch 3
Dragon Quest XI (don't fuc* me on this Nintendo)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Are the Yo-Kai Watch games predicted to go up in price?

3DS games, I feel will or are going to go up in price, that I want:

Etrian Odyssey V
Kirby Robobot
SMT Strange Story Redux
SMT Apocalypse
Shantae Pirates Curse
Fire Emblem Awakening
Project X Zone 2

Upcoming 3DS that I want:

Persona Q2
Yo-kai Watch 3
Dragon Quest XI (don't fuc* me on this Nintendo)
Probably. Definitely 3.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Persona Q. Definitely holding onto mine. I also bought all the pokemon games and have them in their original seal. They're so damn cheap that you would be dumb to not invest in them.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Almost nothing is really valuable.

The Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition will easily remain the most expensive 3DS game ever. The Launch Edition of Stella Glow will fetch a nice penny from eBay, too. I got $50 for mine.

Persona Q is worth more than it was a few years ago, but it's still not pricey.

Also, please don't use Amazon prices as a metric for game resale value.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It kinda blows my mind how expensive some Pokemon games are, considering they actually are super popular and sell several million copies.

Also good call on Robobot being the best Kirby game, lol.

But the thread title made me think it was going to be about 3DS systems themselves with special colors, or with rare games like the Ambassador games or the Four Swords Anniversary edition.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Almost nothing is really valuable.

Yet.
It kinda blows my mind how expensive some Pokemon games are, considering they actually are super popular and sell several million copies.

Also good call on Robobot being the best Kirby game, lol.

But the thread title made me think it was going to be about 3DS systems themselves with special colors, or with rare games like the Ambassador games or the Four Swords Anniversary edition.
Oh shit, I completely forgot to put games in the title.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Feels weird to ignore used copies when determining "hard to find", it's not like used 3DS carts and cases are likely to have built up much wear & tear. It'll take another 10+ years before stuff is really more likely to be found grimy.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I remember Rhythm Thief being "rare" at one point, though I think it eventually got a digital release.

I'd thought One Piece Romance Dawn had a chance at being rare, being a GS exclusive with a relatively low print run, but I don't think there's enough demand for it to go up in price (still quite cheap at GS).

But yeah, probably still too early to call outside of stuff like FE Fates SE.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, that's what I mean. I'm just questioning why more people wouldn't see it as a non-issue. I read the whole OP confused because I took used copies as a given for determining value and scarcity, the qualifier at the end was weird.
Collector's, resale value. People have different reasons and some people like their shit new no matter what. I would not buy a used version of certain games because I wouldn't trust them.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I have to assume Fire Emblem: Conquest, Fire Emblem: Birthright and Fire Emblem Echos only got a single print run and that's it right? I don't think I've seen prices of those budge and they're sure not at my local Best Buy any more.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Are you looking for only good games, or just any games? Most they are over MSRP are 1st Prints or Limited/Collectors Editions.

Keep in mind this time a year certain games saw a bump during the holidays.

Here are a few regular editions worth watching though a lot of them probably aren't games typical gamers will be interested in.

Alien Chaos 3D
Corpse Party (only released in bundle)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Star Fox 64 3D
Fire Emblem
Kid Icarus (US version, lots of NTSC Arab/Asian copies)
Layton vs Phoenix Wright
Layton Azran Legacy
Fantasy Life
Madden NFL Football
Horses 3D
Rodea Sky Soldier (only releases in bundle I believe)
Oregon Trail
American Mensa Academy

Edit: to be clear, these are games that are starting to go for over MSRP new/sealed.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada

They've gone up some but the ones that have gone up the most are the club Nintendo units and the first fire emblem unit.

Shocked nobody mentioned the Prof. Layton series.

All 3 will be expensive AF.
Specially that last one, I rarely saw a copy of it on store shelves.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Assuming the 3DS e-Shop counts, you all gotta buy Gotta Protectors from Yugoslavia Koshiro's company Ancient. Amazing soundtrack, fantastic dialogue, charming characters and great gameplay. Don't pass up on it.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Definitely the last chance for Fire Emblem Awakening and Kid Icarus Uprising which were more expensive during the gen than they are now. Going for $47 and $59 respectively on Amazon.

In Europe/UK they're already much, much worse, at least from what I was able to find online. So are Bravely Default, SMT4A, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, Inazuma Eleven Go Chrono Stone Wildfire... Plenty of games are already expensive and/or hard to find new.

Assuming the 3DS e-Shop counts, you all gotta buy Gotta Protectors from Yugoslavia Koshiro's company Ancient. Amazing soundtrack, fantastic dialogue, charming characters and great gameplay. Don't pass up on it.

Unfortunately, not even available in Europe. At least I got Protect Me Knight before XBLIG went down.

Oct 27, 2017
Are you looking for only good games, or just any games? Most they are over MSRP are 1st Prints or Limited/Collectors Editions.

Keep in mind this time a year certain games saw a bump during the holidays.

Here are a few regular editions worth watching though a lot of them probably aren't games typical gamers will be interested in.

Alien Chaos 3D
Corpse Party (only released in bundle)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Star Fox 64 3D
Fire Emblem
Kid Icarus (US version, lots of NTSC Arab/Asian copies)
Layton vs Phoenix Wright
Layton Azran Legacy
Fantasy Life
Madden NFL Football
Horses 3D
Rodea Sky Soldier (only releases in bundle I believe)
Oregon Trail
American Mensa Academy

Edit: to be clear, these are games that are starting to go for over MSRP new/sealed.
I was actually legitimately after Madden NFL Football and Oregon Trail last year and it surprised me to see they were priced as highly as they were. I'll need to hurry up and snag them before they end up costing more than I'm willing to pay.

Would you say that Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympics should be counted among them? Or does it just feel pricier to me than it actually is?

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually legitimately after Madden NFL Football and Oregon Trail last year and it surprised me to see they were priced as highly as they were. I'll need to hurry up and snag them before they end up costing more than I'm willing to pay.

Would you say that Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympics should be counted among them? Or does it just feel pricier to me than it actually is?

Mario and Sonic 2016 is definitely one to keep an eye on. It stayed pretty pricey and never really saw a price drop. I don't see it too often in stores new either.

Overall, I think a lot of these late release titles are worth keeping an eye on for Collectors. There wasn't many people focused on 3DS at that point and the spotlight has already shifted to Switch. In a lot of cases I think Publishers were aware of that and limited the number of their print runs in some cases.

If it's important to buy/own them new it may be difficult finding them for a cheap/fair price. Some may get clearanced out as stores clear/reduce their 3DS sections, but a lot of them may be out of stock by that point or scalpers may beat you to the deals if they are in stock. Kind of a cat and mouse game at this point where I try to hold out to get the cheapest price possible but it's a fine line between getting a good deal or waiting just a little too long and paying MSRP or more.