• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was always surprised that 3DS games never really dropped in price overall as much as, say, DS and Wii games did.

Still have to pick up Etrian Odyssey V and Persona Q, plus physical copies of Pokemon X and Alpha Sapphire eventually.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I remember people saying Xenoblade 3DS is slowly creeping up in value. Did it have a low print run? I should reall get around to getting a copy of Mario and Luigi Dream Team.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah MegaTen games always get reprints down the road, they just might be missing bonus items like soundtracks. Look how readily available the PS2 games are brand new thanks to reprints. No idea why folks are naming them.

Yea, this is a good point to bring up as some will probably get reprints like some DS games did. I do want to point out that the time frame when reprints are likely are smaller on cards/carts than they are disc based media. We still see some PS1/PS2 games being printed and my understanding is DS cards are no longer available for manufacture.

That said, they did reprint a decent selection of the DS games prior to ending production as mentioned above so I would try to chase down what you want, but I would avoid paying over MSRP, especially at this point.

Last edited:

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's not 3DS but Ghost Trick on DS has really gone up in price the past few months.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like the M&L remakes are going to hit this criteria eventually, alongside WarioWare Gold once people realize how rad of a game it was they missed (plus a low print run).

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still regret not getting this at launch
Thankfully it can still be had on the cheap. I wouldn't worry too much about finding 3DS titles yet OP. Most can still be found around by just shopping at various Ebgames or on local listings. I also don't use Amazon for older game titles. Seller gouge prices. Ebay's sold listings are usually a better way to track the overall price and even those pale in comparison to local listings normally.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I remember people saying Xenoblade 3DS is slowly creeping up in value. Did it have a low print run? I should reall get around to getting a copy of Mario and Luigi Dream Team.

I don't think Xenoblade 3D got a particularly large print run since it released as a N3DS title at the launch of the N3DS. That said, I wouldn't really call it Limited, but there is pretty high demand for it causing the price to increase.

I know it's not 3DS but Ghost Trick on DS has really gone up in price the past few months.

A lot of DS titles are pricey. A year ago you could buy all 3 Castlevania games new for under $30 new. Good luck with that now. Just one example.

Thankfully it can still be had on the cheap. I wouldn't worry too much about finding 3DS titles yet OP. Most can still be found around by just shopping at various Ebgames or on local listings. I also don't use Amazon for older game titles. Seller gouge prices. Ebay's sold listings are usually a better way to track the overall price and even those pale in comparison to local listings normally.

It depends. If the OP is a Collector and for some reason wants new/sealed copies then EBGames/GameStop isn't going to be much help. Also in the US it's difficult already to find complete copies of most 3DS games at GameStop. Not sure about EBGames, but sadly most GameStop's throws out cases and manuals as a way to save space.

Whether it's eBay or Amazon there are definitely 3DS games that are selling above MSRP for new copies. Just look at the GameValueNow 3DS chart which averages sold listings and you will see plenty that are above their original MSRP for sealed copies.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It depends. If the OP is a Collector and for some reason wants new/sealed copies then EBGames/GameStop isn't going to be much help. Also in the US it's difficult already to find complete copies of most 3DS games at GameStop. Not sure about EBGames, but sadly most GameStop's throws out cases and manuals as a way to save space.

Whether it's eBay or Amazon there are definitely 3DS games that are selling above MSRP for new copies. Just look at the GameValueNow 3DS chart which averages sold listings and you will see plenty that are above their original MSRP for sealed copies.

Ah ok, i didn't think about that. Then yea, now is definitely the best time to start collecting for new/sealed copies.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember Rhythm Thief being "rare" at one point, though I think it eventually got a digital release.

I'd thought One Piece Romance Dawn had a chance at being rare, being a GS exclusive with a relatively low print run, but I don't think there's enough demand for it to go up in price (still quite cheap at GS).

But yeah, probably still too early to call outside of stuff like FE Fates SE.
Rhythm Thief is pretty rare for physical copies, same for Cave Story 3D and a few other 3DS games. One Piece Romance Dawn got an extremely limited release (like 3000 copies iirc) but has remained cheap because demand was low.

Alien Chaos 3D is one of the few very rare/expensive 3DS games, at least as it stands right now.

Anything Nintendo or Atlus published is expensive by virtue of high demand, not extremely low print runs.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I feel like the M&L remakes are going to hit this criteria eventually, alongside WarioWare Gold once people realize how rad of a game it was they missed (plus a low print run).

I've considered, but ultimately passed on, WarioWare Gold multiple times at this point. I should probably just go buy it and be done with it, lol. Game looks great but my 3DS doesn't see much play outside of AC at this point.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Rhythm Thief is pretty rare for physical copies, same for Cave Story 3D and a few other 3DS games. One Piece Romance Dawn got an extremely limited release (like 3000 copies iirc) but has remained cheap because demand was low.

Alien Chaos 3D is one of the few very rare/expensive 3DS games, at least as it stands right now.

Anything Nintendo or Atlus published is expensive by virtue of high demand, not extremely low print runs.

I believe Cave Story 3D and One Piece Romance Dawn got a cart only reprint at GameStop. You couldn't find them anywhere and then suddenly every GameStop in the country had them in stock and every single one I saw was in a generic case.

Big Dirty

Nov 11, 2018
I sold my copy of Cave Story 3D for ish £85 two years ago. Very surprised how much it went for considering it was a free PC game.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe Cave Story 3D and One Piece Romance Dawn got a cart only reprint at GameStop. You couldn't find them anywhere and then suddenly every GameStop in the country had them in stock and every single one I saw was in a generic case.
Eh, it's possible I guess, seems more likely they just threw the cases away though. I mean I bought a complete copy of One Piece Romance Dawn a few months ago for like $12, the game is cheap regardless.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I sold my copy of Cave Story 3D for ish £85 two years ago. Very surprised how much it went for considering it was a free PC game.

Never underestimate the spending power of Nintendo Collectors, lol.

Eh, it's possible I guess, seems more likely they just threw the cases away though. I mean I bought a complete copy of One Piece Romance Dawn a few months ago for like $12, the game is cheap regardless.

To be fair, I don't have any definitive proof but there is a lot of circumstantial evidence like other games that were found to be reprinted. For example, the same time these games first showed up in GameStop's they were selling for $40 cart only at GS. If you look at Pricecharting you will notice a sharp dip at that same time as it seems like copies flooded the market.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never underestimate the spending power of Nintendo Collectors, lol.

To be fair, I don't have any definitive proof but there is a lot of circumstantial evidence like other games that were found to be reprinted. For example, the same time these games first showed up in GameStop's they were selling for $40 cart only at GS. If you look at Pricecharting you will notice a sharp dip at that same time as it seems like copies flooded the market.
Yeah it's definitely possible. Gamestop is known to order reprints of games with inflated secondary market values and then selling them as used games for that inflated price.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
All the Fire Emblems will, they've consistabtly retained their value.

Is there a list of all the current Target 3DS prices?

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I have the FE Fates Collector's Edition. That is probably valuable. I also have an almost full set of the Kid Icarus Cards. I doubt that will be of any value.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Fire Emblem games are getting consistently harder to find in the wild, and still have a pretty big demand. I'd expect some prices to spike before and after Three Houses, too.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017

While not one of the remakes, it feels like Mario and Luigi Dream Team is getting harder to find in the wild now. The upcoming M&L Bowser's Inside Story remake game is definitely on the list. Having the entire series as 3DS games would be amazing, and depending on how well this one sells 3DS could get Partners In Time too (I hope).

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah MegaTen games always get reprints down the road, they just might be missing bonus items like soundtracks. Look how readily available the PS2 games are brand new thanks to reprints. No idea why folks are naming them.
The Raidou games are starting to creep back up in price since the reprints are sold out. It probably won't get as ridiculous as it was before the reprints, but they definitely aren't going to be cheap anymore.

You're right about the rest though. Nocturne, P3, P4, and Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 can all be had for $15 to $20 brand new still.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
should i get the radiant historia remake or stay with the original?
I played the og way back in the day, so naturally I wasn't too fond of the new artwork at first (I think you can get DLC to switch it to the og style), but found the VA to be expansive and superb, English one at least, dunno about Japanese. You get to choose between 4 different difficulty settings (the hardest one has to be unlocked, IIRC) and there's quite a bit of new content, I liked what they did with it, too, they managed to incorporate it into the main storyline.

tl;dr: YES

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Alien Chaos 3D is expensive now? Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Got my copy for $10 at a Kmart. Never seen another one in any store. Even Kmart is gone now or not carrying games anymore.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
There is no chance of Azure Striker Gunvolt Double Pack getting a reprint is there?

Oct 29, 2017
i wanna say resident evil the mercenaries due to being unable to delete saves from the cart

That is no longer a concern. There are both legitimate (3DS SD Transfer Tool) and non-legitimate (3DS Save editing hardware) ways of erasing data from a 3DS Card now.

The digital version was also modified in order to allow for players to restart the game from scratch.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I have Chrono Trigger DS physical and Kid Icarus 3DS physical. Those seem to cost a lot now. I definite need to get into picking up 3DS games now though.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played the og way back in the day, so naturally I wasn't too fond of the new artwork at first (I think you can get DLC to switch it to the og style), but found the VA to be expansive and superb, English one at least, dunno about Japanese. You get to choose between 4 different difficulty settings (the hardest one has to be unlocked, IIRC) and there's quite a bit of new content, I liked what they did with it, too, they managed to incorporate it into the main storyline.

tl;dr: YES
just placed an order w/ best buy for the launch edition

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson costs an absolute fortune in Europe, almost 4 times as much as the original RRP.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I remember a couple of years ago I found a used copy of Fire Emblem awakening, bought it, and then resold it
(to be fair, I didn't and still don't gel well with RPGs)

What an absolutely terrible idea, now it's impossible to find the game in Europe for cheap.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The only 3DS game I want to nab someday off the top of my head is Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, I have most of everything else I would want.

Edit: Part of me wants Captain Toad, but it's superfluous considering I already own a Wii U copy of the game.

Edit 2: Best Buy had a sale about a month ago, it was a good time to fill in any holes in your 3DS library.

Last edited:

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one thing about the 3DS library is that the library will die with the console because you can't replicate the 2 screens on a switch

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
The one thing about the 3DS library is that the library will die with the console because you can't replicate the 2 screens on a switch

It's entirely possible that Nintendo make a two screen handheld in the future. Never say never.

On topic, I've been grabbing some 3DS stuff lately before it all vanishes from stores. It actually caught me by surprise when I went looking and saw barely any 3DS software on store shelves. Hard for me to believe that it's been so long. Seems like yesterday I was going to grab my preordered launch system at EB Games.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You could theoretically make a Switch resemble a 3DS by using the Flipgrip...

Dear or Alive didn't get an eshop release so definitely look out for that.
It's part of a 20€ budget range in Germany and seems to get continuous reprints (or just doesn't sell, at least it's still on shelves here IIRC) so the PAL version isn't going to be rare.