• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know of any store exclusive variants? Specifically big box variants? I know of a few but it would be cool if there was a list somewhere, or if anyone on here knows of any they mention it so I can check it out.

I vaguely remember seeing this happen with Ultra Sun/Moon. I think the double packs and steel books were exclusives.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I vaguely remember seeing this happen with Ultra Sun/Moon. I think the double packs and steel books were exclusives.

Yea, there are a few with Pokémon, including both Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Moon. I'll have to check my shelf to start a list for this thread but there are actually multiples for some Pokémon games including store exclusives. I own a Target exclusive with Figurines for Sun/Moon (I believe).

When I get a chance I'll document all the big box versions I have as a starting point. There are definitely some oddball ones though that I'm hoping some can help identify. A couple examples of some I don't have and I'd consider oddball releases are the Scribblenauts GameStop Exclusive bundle with stylus and a Frogger big box with a system case. I believe those were store exclusive, or only available at a couple retailers.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Here is a list of some 3DS exclusives retail releases, most are in a big box.

One Piece Romance Dawn (GameStop)
Scribblenauts Stylus Bundle (GameStop)
Pokémon Sun/Moon Dual Pack w/ Steelbook (Amazon)
Pokémon Sun/Moon Dual Pack w/Figurines (Target Exclusive)
Pokémon Ultra Sun w/Keychain (Target and Wal Mart?????)
Pokémon Ultra Moon w/Keychain (Target and Wal Mart????)
LEGO Marvel Avengers w/LEGO Quinjet included (Toys R Us)
Final Fantasy Theatrythm Curtain Call Collector Edition (Square Enix Online Store Exclusive)
Kingdom Hearts 3D Collector Edition (Square Enix Online Store Exclusive)
Tenkai Knights w/toy (Target Exclusive)

I believe there are more LEGO variants from Toys R Us and I also believe there were some Target variants that included a stylus, but I believe those may have been repackaged by Target and no official releases by the original Publisher. If anyone has any more details on any additional exclusives please feel free to PM me or post in here.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017

Final Fantasy Theatrythm Curtain Call Collector Edition (Square Enix Online Store Exclusive)

I believe there are more LEGO variants from Toys R Us and I also believe there were some Target variants that included a stylus, but I believe those may have been repackaged by Target and no official releases by the original Publisher. If anyone has any more details on any additional exclusives please feel free to PM me or post in here.

Do you know if regional variants like Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire steel book were ever exclusive to retailers?

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California

There was also a steelbook dual pack for USUM but I don't remember if it was exclusive:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SMTXLZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Gameboy415

Oct 30, 2017
NW Suburbs, Illinois

There were also Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, Sun/Moon, & Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon Dual Packs that included download codes for in-game items (Pokeballs/potions).
I believe the first 2 were Best Buy exclusives (that's where I got mine) but I think US/UM was also available at Wal-Mart?
I'm fairly certain the S/M & US/UM Dual Packs with the Steelbooks were both Amazon exclusives.

The Kingdom Hearts 3D Mark of Mastery Edition (Collector's Edition) was also available from Amazon - it's where I got my copy back in 2012.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the responses. I actually have some of these but wasn't sure they were exclusive. I also have the Hot Wheels w/Hot Wheel Toy from GameStop but not sure if it was exclusive or if it released anywhere else.

If anyone else has any they are aware of, please let me know.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
My copy of the Toys R Us exclusive LEGO Marvel Avengers w/toy in a big box arrived. Thought I'd share a picture since it's the first one I had seen and also in case anyone has details on any other LEGO exclusives for 3DS.

QpxotI2.jpg

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's jusy a guess but usually when games surge that quick it's more because of word of mouth than anything else. So the demand is going to only be there for a while. I'd say in a year or two demand will dip as will the price.

We do frequently see a cooling off period in a lot of games that had a big increase in a short time frame. The wild card for YW3 may be Yokai Watch 4. If it ends up making the series even more popular in the West it could bring in more fans who will want to grab the older games, keeping demand high for YW3.

Also, to be clear if we do see a dip it will likely be temporary and the game will likely stay over MSRP for new copies, in my opinion anyway.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
We do frequently see a cooling off period in a lot of games that had a big increase in a short time frame. The wild card for YW3 may be Yokai Watch 4. If it ends up making the series even more popular in the West it could bring in more fans who will want to grab the older games, keeping demand high for YW3.

Also, to be clear if we do see a dip it will likely be temporary and the game will likely stay over MSRP for new copies, in my opinion anyway.
Yeah I agree. I don't think it'll ever totally drop. I'm sure it'll reach a price higher than it's at now. Just like what you said, that cooling off period probably is coming.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Just a friendly reminder that Persona Q2 is less then a week away. If you don't have a pre-order in, you might want to get on that. I've noticed the LE pre-orders have been drying up in canada.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Everyone got their Persona Q2 or plan on getting a copy soonish?

I did. =)

KKk75B65c2pDeu8TADYBsu2dujg2tVmx45fiK43u315DzN_AOAZmMTqQ7RKwVr7AF_KgI76AlRL6M9Nk8ZeOS-yfKuICsERY41f7SX8T_8gjj3zBTJjGoaNTBvBNCjxCKWwsdhvmyA=w2400

(Prem Ed showed up this morning from amazon, the regular ed I went and grabbed from a local game store this afternoon.)

Side note for those in Toronto, Game Centre has some regular ed in stock for $50 instead of $55 like EB Games & Amazon.ca

-edit-
Also canadian stock watch, Amazon.ca had some PE in stock this morning but they're gone, they do have the standard ed in stock. EB is showing sold out for regular ed online but has the PE version in stock. Bestbuy is sold out for both and walmart isn't stocking it. Happy hunting. =)

Last edited:

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
My Persona Q2 Premium Edition came crushed. Best Buy decided to use a box that was too small and just push the lid closed anyway :(

They are sending a new one but I'm not convinced they won't do the exact same thing.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Don't hope, shout at them.

I called them and complained and got an exchange but in the end not much I can do but hope it doesn't come damaged again. If it does I'll end up returning it but that still leaves me without it. I guess if I have to I'll bite the bullet and grab one off eBay if they are close to MSRP still.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I called them and complained and got an exchange but in the end not much I can do but hope it doesn't come damaged again. If it does I'll end up returning it but that still leaves me without it. I guess if I have to I'll bite the bullet and grab one off eBay if they are close to MSRP still.
If the next one is a bust let me know and I can check my local game shop to see if they still have one (they did on Tuesday).

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
My local Best Buys have been restocking on the Persona Q2 game. 3 at one nearest to me with a restock at another one next week. They also had a few Premium ones last week. It seems at least they are still shipping them out.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you reckon that Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX is going to be difficult to find in the future? I remember having trouble finding it on release in 2013, though I'm in the UK so maybe it got a larger print run in other countries.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Do you reckon that Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX is going to be difficult to find in the future? I remember having trouble finding it on release in 2013, though I'm in the UK so maybe it got a larger print run in other countries.

Probably won't be a lot of extra copies. I already grabbed a copy though sadly it's not the first print with extras. Always struck me as the type of game that has a dedicated following that won't easily give up their copies if they keep the systems.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I feel like in 10 years. YW3 physical release in USA will be seen as an urban myth on youtube retro 3ds videos.

(Yes I know you'll say "but we can google it and see it exist", that hasn't stopped them from getting easily verifiable information on GBA stuff wrong).