• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
As reported via Hong Kong's The Stand News.

So Hikaru no Go, the popular manga series about the game of Go by Takeshi Obata and Yumi Hotta recently got a Chinese adaptation. Its first episode just aired yesterday and it looks like this:

e10b0d18a325e6c0ea588cf5141abhf5.jpg

You can find more pictures here: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/C_Chat/M.1603439482.A.5E3.html

You can watch the first episode legally here. (It's pretty typical for Chinese companies to offer their content for free online, as advertising is usually done via product placements.)

Anyway, the first episode contained this dialogue:

"After 100 miserable years for Hong Kong, now it returns to China!"

"What day is it today?"

"A day that all Chinese should be happy for!"

Now, as propaganda, that's relatively mild stuff, as that *is* the attitude of how mainland Chinese folks thought of Hong Kong returning to China — but it's a rather awkward plot point that feels forced. Of course, Hong Kong, Taiwanese, and some Japanese netizens are pretty upset about it.

OP
OP
GG-Duo

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I meant that for China standards that's relatively minor.

but then a friend pointed out that the word that they used for "miserable" is 百年滄桑.... which is not a way that any Hong Konger would describe the UK rule.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
100 miserable years ? Who translated this shit?

I sorry but this is a stupid translation error. " 百年滄桑" didn't mean 100 miserable years. "滄桑" means "vicissitude" or "Complex changes". It's not a negative meaning word at all.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love this series but did they just spoiled the whole show in the beginning preview lol

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
I mean, from the perspective of the mainland, achieving reunification on their own terms is actually something to celebrate. Certainly not surprising.

Extremely shitty for anyone actually from Hongkong, or in the Chinese diaspora, though.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
As reported via Hong Kong's The Stand News.

So Hikaru no Go, the popular manga series about the game of Go by Takeshi Obata and Yumi Hotta recently got a Chinese adaptation. Its first episode just aired yesterday and it looks like this:

e10b0d18a325e6c0ea588cf5141abhf5.jpg

You can find more pictures here: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/C_Chat/M.1603439482.A.5E3.html

You can watch the first episode legally here. (It's pretty typical for Chinese companies to offer their content for free online, as advertising is usually done via product placements.)

Anyway, the first episode contained this dialogue:

Now, as propaganda, that's relatively mild stuff, as that *is* the attitude of how mainland Chinese folks thought of Hong Kong returning to China — but it's a rather awkward plot point that feels forced. Of course, Hong Kong, Taiwanese, and some Japanese netizens are pretty upset about it.

Wonder what Shueishs has to say about that. Hikaru no Go was pretty big back in the day.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah sure, 100 miserable years... I still remember my first trip to Hong Kong back when it was still under the Brits. I dearly miss the Hong Kong of my childhood.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
100 miserable years ? Who translated this shit?

I sorry but this is a stupid translation error. " 百年滄桑" didn't mean 100 miserable years. "滄桑" means "vicissitude" or "Complex changes". It's not a negative meaning word at all.

The source cited in the OP isn't an English one, so this is confusing me a bit even though I'd believe it. Genuinely wondering - does that article focus on that aspect of the line still?

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
"After 100 miserable years for Hong Kong, now it returns to China!"

"What day is it today?"

"A day that all Chinese should be happy for!"
If this were a normal show I'd assume this was satire are we sure it's not satire

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
The source cited in the OP isn't an English one, so this is confusing me a bit even though I'd believe it. Genuinely wondering - does that article focus on that aspect of the line still?

The article isn't really focus on that particular line.It simply reports the fact that the character in the show mentions the transfer of sovereignty over Hong Kong in 1997, so the article's writer quoted the actual line to prove his point.

I don't think any competent Chinese speaker would translate "滄桑" to "miserable".

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
The article isn't really focus on that particular line.It simply reports the fact that the character in the show mentions the transfer of sovereignty over Hong Kong in 1997, so the article's writer quoted the actual line to prove his point.

I don't think any competent Chinese speaker would translate "滄桑" to "miserable".

Aaaah, I see. Thank you for explaining!

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

So with "vicissitude" in mind, would a better translation be something like "100 years of ups and downs" or "100 years of back and forth"?

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the weird Hong Kong reference and localization from Japan to China, the adaption is quite decent? It quite oblivious that the Live action is targeting long fans as the 1st 10 mins basically is basically a huge spoiler for the whole series.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
So with "vicissitude" in mind, would a better translation be something like "100 years of ups and downs" or "100 years of back and forth"?

Yes, "100 years of ups and downs" is way more accurate.

More specifically, "滄桑" is the simplified form of a tradition Chinese idiom, "滄海桑田".

滄海 literally means sea, and 桑田 means soil. So, it combines "sea" and "soil" together to express the passage of time and the vastly changes with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a weird adaptation, especially as later in the series there's a lot of competition between Japanese, Chinese, and Korean go players

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
It's also pretty funny to note that Hong Kong was ruled by the British for 155 years, so what about the other 55 years do they mean they were fantastic? :D

OP
OP
GG-Duo

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
oh hey what happened to this thread

滄桑 most definitely does not just mean the passage of time or "ups and downs" unless you are only being pedantic.
It's more negative than that.

you wouldn't use it to describe someone unless you want to say that they really show their age.

so yeah, 百年滄桑 is definitely a propaganda turn of phrasing in this context