• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
In Final Fantasy IX, you can be a jerk and keep giving wrong answers when asked about the plan to kidnap Princess Garnet. At the end Ruby appears to scold you and ask you to stop being a moron.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
The choices you get in Undertale when you try to help
Alphys ask out Undyne
made me laugh out loud probably harder than I've ever laughed at a game. I'd post them inline but I think they're technically spoilers so I'll hold off.

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Alphis ask out Undyne
made me laugh out loud probably harder than I've ever laughed at a game. I'd post them inline but I think they're technically spoilers so I'll hold off.

Undertale is so hard to talk about because basically every single detail in the game is a spoiler that, if you know about them beforehand, will compromise the integrity of your playthrough. Obviously almost any game is better if you go in blind, but the sheer volume of surprises and subversions in Undertale means you can't talk about it at all without ruining it for somebody else.

This is the Fan's Burden and it is profound.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
FNV is full of them

Assuming the position to Fisto
shouting ice cream as a password (and getting it right)
"ROBOT! LET ME PAST!"
bennys surprise if you're a female courier wanting to go to bed with him and everything you can do after

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
From 999:
tumblr_inline_nduwtrd9ko1s6hqil.png
Hilarious!

(I have no idea what I'm looking at here.)

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Hilarious!

(I have no idea what I'm looking at here.)
It's a funyarinpa, obviously. How could you not know? Apologize to the funyarinpa.
In 999, you examine this picture on the wall, and one of the other characters asks what you think it is. There are a number of legitimate responses, but you can also pick "funyarinpa," a made-up thing. Your character will defend his choice despite it being nonsensical, loudly asserting that the other characters are simply ignorant and are insulting the greatness of the funyarinpa.

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember one from the first Knights of the Old Republic, on Xbox. At some point when exploring a location I ran into someone hiding in a vertical locker, the kind found in schools or gyms. Dude was hiding in there for some reason. (It's been ages since I played.) Most of the dialogue trees ended with talking him out of the locker, or failing to do so. But if you were just the right kind of asshole, you ended with the option to "Insert Lightsaber" into the locker. Dialogue ends and you ignite the saber and kill him through the locker door while he screams.

It was utterly hilarious.

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oESOSQafoE0

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Alphys ask out Undyne

I think for "funny" ones, the best is when Mettaton asks you who you think Alphys has a crush on, there are no wrong answers and all answers are a varying degrees of funny.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Pushing that dude out the window for no reason in Mass Effect 2.

Also Punching the doctor in Mass Effect 1.

In Wolfenstein 2, reading the wrong lines during the actor bit.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
?????
I prefer this one.

"I might... get wet". Replaying that scene is even funnier once you've finished the game.

Akane was messing around with Junpei. She already knew what he was thinking of and was simply playing dumb.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV: Some kids ask you how you became a strong adventurer, and one of the dialog options is just to tell them about your gear seller NPC.

In Persona 5, there's a time when someone is asking you to say something witty as a comeback, and "Something witty" is a dialog option.

Actually, the P5 MC has a lot of smartass remarks as dialog options.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In GTA San Andreas you have a positive or negative response for what people say to you. Usually a pedrestrian/ NPC which in this case if most of the time female would ask "Don't you use deodorant?" and if you reply positively CJ says "Yeah, my cologne is tight" or "I've just takin' up washing G"

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
What's funnier is that until that point, you haven't taken control of Mario yet. You can lose the game before it even starts.

There are several other instances of this happening in Super Paper Mario. I love it, it's such a subversive game.

Sorry for the possible ot, but what exactly happened to this franchise? I never played a Paper Mario game so I'm curious

It turned from a proper RPG series to... I don't even know how to describe Sticker Star besides bad. Terrible puzzles, nonsense story, pointless combat, etc. I haven't played Super Paper Mario or Color Splash, though I've at least heard good things about the latter.

Just my two cents, but to me SPM and Color Splash are both excellent titles, although neither is a traditional RPG with leveling. SPM is more about exploring and some mild adventure-style gameplay. It has crackling dialogue and a very off-the-wall plot. The gameplay itself is mostly a slower version of a 2D Mario mixed with exploration and some neat gimmicks. It's a fun world to explore though and the game takes you some bizarre and interesting places with some very creative scenarios.
Color Splash goes harder into the adventure game aspect, which again makes for a very different experience than the original PM games, but it works well in the game in general. I found the plot and battles to be a lot of fun and I found the dialogue to be some of the best I've encountered in a game. Side quests in both games are great, too. The world map in Color Splash has to be one of the most satisfying select-a-level style world maps I've encountered in a long time. It's also just rich with fun and creative happenings involving Mario characters.
FWIW, I got the sense many in the Color Splash OT enjoyed it a great deal, and I've seen quite a bit of praise for SPM on TOOF.*

*TOOF = "this one other forum"

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just my two cents, but to me SPM and Color Splash are both excellent titles, although neither is a traditional RPG with leveling. SPM is more about exploring and some mild adventure-style gameplay. It has crackling dialogue and a very off-the-wall plot. The gameplay itself is mostly a slower version of a 2D Mario mixed with exploration and some neat gimmicks. It's a fun world to explore though and the game takes you some bizarre and interesting places with some very creative scenarios.
Color Splash goes harder into the adventure game aspect, which again makes for a very different experience than the original PM games, but it works well in the game in general. I found the plot and battles to be a lot of fun and I found the dialogue to be some of the best I've encountered in a game. Side quests in both games are great, too. The world map in Color Splash has to be one of the most satisfying select-a-level style world maps I've encountered in a long time. It's also just rich with fun and creative happenings involving Mario characters.
FWIW, I got the sense many in the Color Splash OT enjoyed it a great deal, and I've seen quite a bit of praise for SPM on TOOF.*

I hope Color Splash gets a Switch port, because I don't own a Wii U. Haven't played Sticker Star either, despite owning it for years.

Life Is Strange has an amusing response from Chloe in episode 3.
If you refuse to kiss her, she mocks you by stating that you totally kissed her and then rewound to pretend you didn't. Which is exactly what I did, just to see what would happen. She's hella smarter than me!

Here's a video of that conversation.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I like how you ignored mine max, never change :)

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I like how you ignored mine max, never change :)
Sorry it came off that way - I wasn't meaning to ignore you at all - I know your feeling on the game and didn't want to exclude you from the discussion, so I was quoting you in case you wanted to rebut my response.

edit: Oh, I see now I didn't actually quote you. My mistake, I thought I had done so and meant to.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout games are filled with moments like these. One in particular that comes to mind:

RTLmg8H.jpg

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Color Splash gets a Switch port, because I don't own a Wii U. Haven't played Sticker Star either, despite owning it for years.

Life Is Strange has an amusing response from Chloe in episode 3.
If you refuse to kiss her, she mocks you by stating that you totally kissed her and then rewound to pretend you didn't. Which is exactly what I did, just to see what would happen. She's hella smarter than me!

Here's a video of that conversation.
Honestly wouldn't recommend playing either of those Paper Marios. Color Splash puts some bandaids over some of the larger problems of Sticker Star and has moment-to-moment writing more in line with the series standard, but I still wouldn't recommend anyone subjects themselves to that game. The terrible battle system and a variety of other poor decisions make the game a real slog to get to. I couldn't even get myself to the second Paint Star.

Super Paper Mario is generally cool though. It is rough around the edges and takes a few gags way too far but is still generally a decent game.

On that note though, the cutscene before the chapter 3 boss in Super Paper Mario certainly qualifies for this thread. None of the dialog choices really affect anything, but it's a really funny scene regardless.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Fractured But Whole has quite a few.

Choosing whether or not to pass gas directly in the face of a former spokesperson is one that comes to mind.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 4's Option 3(I think?) is usually pretty ridiculous. The P4G anime pretty much went with all of those as canon, leading Yuu to be REALLY weird.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
In The Witcher 1, an (innocent) witch will ask Geralt to protect her from raging mob accusing her for all the strange things happening in the village, and offered to sleep with him. Geralt can choose to sleep with her, then betrays the witch to the mob anyway.

Geralt in The Witcher 1 can be a real asshole.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
I just love this game. What miyamoto did the franchise is a borderline crime against humanity.

96e.png

We can only hope with the younger generations taking more lead that the next Paper Mario gets the new Nintendo workover!

If you choose to not click the action button, this happens in Spider-Man:

616.gif

Last edited:

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza 0 was choke full of hilarious dialogue options. I think the whole series just has a good sense of humor in general.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
In Final Fantasy IX, you can be a jerk and keep giving wrong answers when asked about the plan to kidnap Princess Garnet. At the end Ruby appears to scold you and ask you to stop being a moron.
This is the thing about JRPGs. No matter your choice, you'll end up with the predefined outcome anyway. Maybe a different line or two, but that's it.

In the game OP's brought on, ELEX, if you choose a 'wrong' choice you might have to kill someone or get different rewards.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if literally hilarious, but in Chrono Trigger you can act like a total jerk at the beginning of the game (eat some old dude's lunch; kick a lost cat out of the screen instead of taking it to the little girl who's looking for it; try to steal and resell Marle's pendant, etc.). Since you've just started this game you think there will be no consequences for all this but then two chapters later you're actually put on trial and it all comes back to bite you in the ass.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Which game is this from? I see one thing hasn't changed from the old forums. Why do people never include the game title?
It's Mega Man Legends, same game as the "Hippopotamus" choice earlier in the thread. It's a hilarious game, and Mega Man can be a real piece of work.

There's a situation early on in which an angry dog is barking at a girl; to resolve this, you can either talk to the dog and say "that's not nice", or you can kick the dog in the face.

Last edited: