• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 22405

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
She looks fantastic! And her Japanese VA is very strong. (I like the English dub, it has this weird parallel quality to classic voice acting, its endearing). Gonna slow it down to get an idea of what I'm looking at. Her parry looks sick as hell.

Kinda wanted to know a season 2 date, though...

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I mean I'm glad she got added, I liked her quite a bit and she's not a clone/similar character to any of the existing roster. But it's really disappointing that this is the 5th extra character released and all have been girls. Maybe I'm just sore Hwang/Yun-seong have yet to make it but I sure hope that trend breaks soon to get a bit more variety.

Also High Heels and Boob armor is expected but still groan inducing. She looks good overall, but the prominent cape changes her overall flare a little too much for my taste. Wish there was alternate costumes for characters :/

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She looks alright. I mean, the reason I really like her original design is that it's relatively pragmatic, but SC standards - she's got her helmet, heavy plate armor, the whole lot. I don't mind the boob plate stuff in this outfit, since it's clearly meant to be a lot more ceremonial/aesthetic than practical. With two asterisks being that's a lot more generic, and that SoulCalibur has a bad habit of having ALL of its female characters wear impractical outfits.

That being said she's still dope and I'm glad she's back.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If anything this is reducing sales since the people who liked Hilde before liked her because she's not sexualized lmao

Personally speaking, I bought SC6 recently in the Humble Bamco choose your bundle thing, and this is making me question buying Hilde at all, when before there was no question. Heck, I don't even mind if there was some sexualization in place. But her redesigned armor just looks shitty, sexualized or not.

It's not like this completely ruins Hilde, since I can presumably use one of her old costumes, but I'm worried this shit will permeate into future games.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
They really want to take the crown of SC4 as most embarassing Soul Calibur game character design-wise with 6.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Wait so no more characters coming in season 2, after Haohmaru?
Totally forgot that Haohmaru was coming. I may be in the minority here, but I wish we would at least get one more new original character, but that seems unlikely in a season pass.

Hilde looks ace btw, glad she made it.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would guess Setsuka and Yun (possibly swap for Aeon) for the last two. At this point in the development cycle I don't think they're gonna spend enough to make a new, non-guest character.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
SWOFlOF.jpg

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
One step forward, two steps back, design-wise.

EDIT: It's three steps back, actually.

Last edited:

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
What's the step forward?
Sorry that I wasn't specific in that post.

Her cape is badass but her boob armor and high heels are terrible.

EDIT: Oh and that skirt is trash. I swear some men just can't resist sexualizing an already good character design.

Last edited:

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
She looks really good, might grab Season 2 althugh i have not played online at all. Will probably just continue to play arcade mode.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Looks good. Wish there were more ppl playing on PC. Might just buy the game + Season Passes on PS4 instead of just purchasing SP2 on PC.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I mean I'm glad she got added, I liked her quite a bit and she's not a clone/similar character to any of the existing roster. But it's really disappointing that this is the 5th extra character released and all have been girls. Maybe I'm just sore Hwang/Yun-seong have yet to make it but I sure hope that trend breaks soon to get a bit more variety.

Also High Heels and Boob armor is expected but still groan inducing. She looks good overall, but the prominent cape changes her overall flare a little too much for my taste. Wish there was alternate costumes for characters :/
At launch, we had 15 male characters and 7 female characters in the game, so I don't find the situation too surprising. There were simply more female characters than male characters missing.

I'm willing to bet the remaining characters in the pass will be Setsuka and Yun-Seong.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Looks good. Wish there were more ppl playing on PC. Might just buy the game + Season Passes on PS4 instead of just purchasing SP2 on PC.
One fair warning: If you're sensitive to input lag, you'll find it tough to go from the PC version to PS4 version. Playing the PS4 version offline feels like online matches on the PC version, and I'm not being hyperbolic when I say that.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That design is a major downgrade, I also just realized that Yun-seong isn't in this one, made me rethinking getting that humble bundle sub.

Deleted member 22405

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The reason they've been all girls is because most of the male roster is in the base game. Also VI has done a really amazing job of insuring anybody that was considered a clone or similar to anybody else by virtue of aesthetic (Cassandra and Amy in this case) were as far removed in playstyle. This has been one of the best rosters in terms of uniqueness and balance in a long time.

As far as design goes, I like the new one as much as the old one. They were definitely going for a majestic theme and they nailed it. They'll release an alt down the line or you could customize it.

As far as the story content she's coming with, while I have major problems with how SoulCalibur's story is all over the place, the story we got with Amy and Cass have been pretty good. I wish they had somebody with a bit more straightforward direction on it.

That design is a major downgrade, I also just realized that Yun-seong isn't in this one, made me rethinking getting that humble bundle sub.

Its a steal at 12$. Its honestly owned itself as a proper entry in the franchise and has to deal with being stuck in Tekken's shadow. Its an insanely good game with smart changes coming in the second season if the pattern of patches we've gotten over the year is any indication.

RaiOh

Nov 12, 2017
She looks GREAT.
I have nothing against boob plate, but that's a huge "in your face" kind of boob plate.
They could have picked a middle ground between her old design and this new one, it's like they didn't understand one of the strongest point of her design.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issue with this game was neither Hilde nor Amy making the cut. This roster is now perfect. Love her new design and really looking forward to picking up the DLC now.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issue with the design is her face, tbh. Why does every single female character look like a teenage beauty pageant person? Like everyone has an identical doll face. I think some variety would be nice. I'm not necessarily against sexy characters, but I'm against boring characters.

Espeix

Dec 5, 2018
Can't say I'm a fan of that redesign. Although I dislike most of the new looks in the game in general. I get that they want it to sell but like not every female character has to be so ridiculously sexualised. Still, I'm glad she's finally being added.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can't say I'm a fan of that redesign. Although I dislike most of the new looks in the game in general. I get that they want it to sell but like not every female character has to be so ridiculously sexualised. Still, I'm glad she's finally being added.
It's crazy to see almost every OTHER fighting game franchise start treating their female designs more practically... and then Soul Calibur goes in the opposite direction. I guess they saw a void.

Deleted member 22405

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hahaha
future Soulcalibur games
Hahaha

Are your ready to pay for 15 years old assets recycled on PS5?
Soulcalibur4 is the OG Morrigan sprite of the XXIst century.
The fact we got a second season is a hopeful indicator for future entries. Not sure what you mean by that last sentence, given everything was remade from one engine into another. I've never understood people thinking IV, V, and VI look the same.

But was VI made on a shoestring budget? Yeah.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't have much to add to the boob armor topic, but I'm just curious why it seems so selective when it's okay and not okay.

For example, why is everyone fine with the boob armor in Wonder Woman? I can't speak to every comic, but in the film there was clear boob armor. I can't remember hearing a single complaint
Always said that Wonder Woman's costume sucks.

Happy now?

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
The fact we got a second season is a hopeful indicator for future entries. Not sure what you mean by that last sentence, given everything was remade from one engine into another. I've never understood people thinking IV, V, and VI look the same.

But was VI made on a shoestring budget? Yeah.
No, everything was not remade. They literally imported SCIV and SCV models into UE4 with minimal (if any) changes. It's incredibly bleeding obvious just by looking at the CAS character models.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
It's like they don't realize why people liked her in the first place.

Yeah. It's not like the option of customization isn't there if someone decides to be a horn dog, but at least keep her default costume with some dignity.

Anyways, I guess she's the Yell character from the supposed datamine, right? with Lizardman, Rock and Setsuka being the remaining characters.

Nov 3, 2017
The Queen is here! That bit where she grinds her sword against her spear to set it alight is wonderful anime bullshit.

The boob plate is silly, but I do really like the coat and hope they continue with the regal theme in future Hilde designs

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If she were sexualized to begin with then this wouldn't be a big deal.

But they took a badass warrior with semi-practical designed armor and slapped a belligerent boob plate and high heels on her.

That would be like Makoto from Street Fighter being designed to look sexualized in a new iteration.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha
future Soulcalibur games
Hahaha

Are your ready to pay for 15 years old assets recycled on PS5?
Soulcalibur4 is the OG Morrigan sprite of the XXIst century.

Considering they're still supporting this and haven't cut it loose already, I expect there to be a sequel at some point.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't have much to add to the boob armor topic, but I'm just curious why it seems so selective when it's okay and not okay.

For example, why is everyone fine with the boob armor in Wonder Woman? I can't speak to every comic, but in the film there was clear boob armor. I can't remember hearing a single complaint

I think you got the impression people were fine with wonder woman because the character has a LONG HISTORY of shit designs

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to see almost every OTHER fighting game franchise start treating their female designs more practically... and then Soul Calibur goes in the opposite direction. I guess they saw a void.
Every other fighting game franchise? Pretty sure only MK has gone in that direction (could mention KI as well, though that doesn't get much attention as an Xbox console-exclusive).

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Every other fighting game franchise? Pretty sure only MK has gone in that direction (could mention KI as well, though that doesn't get much attention as an Xbox console-exclusive).
Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct both, yes (and Injustice). But even the makers of Dead or Alive have said they've scaled the breast sizes and jiggle down compared to prior entries and made their default outfits more practical (opting instead to sell the sexier stuff separately). They mentioned this approach also made them more tournament friendly, a sentiment echoed by Street Fighter's designers after they ran into a lot of pushback and difficulties with Laura and Rainbow Mika (leading to some tournaments mandating that only certain outfits be worn), something they've taken into consideration for future characters. I don't think ANY fighting game this generation has veered MORE into sexualized default character looks than Soul Calibur has, unless there's an example I'm overlooking.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct both, yes (and Injustice). But even the makers of Dead or Alive have said they've scaled the breast sizes and jiggle down compared to prior entries and made their default outfits more practical (opting instead to sell the sexier stuff separately). They mentioned this approach also made them more tournament friendly, a sentiment echoed by Street Fighter's designers after they ran into a lot of pushback and difficulties with Laura and Rainbow Mika (leading to some tournaments mandating that only certain outfits be worn), something they've taken into consideration for future characters. I don't think ANY fighting game this generation has veered MORE into sexualized default character looks than Soul Calibur has, unless there's an example I'm overlooking.

Uhhh... how is Street Fighter a good example when they can't even use default costumes for some characters on stream for showing too much skin and having to move the camera for certain scenes because it focused too much on tits and asses, and how did they improved future characters when poison is still wearing short shorts a crop top and no bra in her default costume? I don't even think theres a single female character that doesn't wear a miniskirt, short shorts, or is straight out pantsless in her default, hell, you can even see the underwear of some of the female characters even when they wear pants.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
There is no difference with breast sizes in DoA6, and the only scaling back on the jiggle was getting rid of the over-the-top OMG setting which was an unlockable bonus in the previous game. DoA6 is a weird, budget non-expansion rather than a proper sequel to DoA5, recycling a great deal of base game and DLC content from 5:LR all while still managing to often have poorer character models and environments/effects. They claimed to want to make something that would be more appropriate for eSports, but the marketing was a constant series of contradictions (from what was offered for the physical purchases in Japan to the "core values" streaming incident at Evo Japan), and DoA6 has no more of a tournament presence in the FGC than previous games, including failing to make Evo like Team Ninja wanted it to while SCVI did. No one familiar with what happened the last time they tried to tone down DoA only to backpedal on it with the original DoA5 ever took them seriously.

That said, I would say that I don't see much difference between SFV and SCVI in respect to fanservice when compared to something like DoA5:LR. It was mainly tournaments aired on ESPN where there were more restrictions imposed on what outfits were considered acceptable (default Laura presents less issues while still not being something that broadcasters would be happy with, Cammy and R. Mika being more of a problem in that regard). I'm not really under the impression that they took that into consideration when taking Poison's default into account.