• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is no difference with breast sizes in DoA6, and the only scaling back on the jiggle was getting rid of the over-the-top OMG setting which was an unlockable bonus in the previous game. DoA6 is a weird, budget non-expansion rather than a proper sequel to DoA5, recycling a great deal of base game and DLC content from 5:LR all while still managing to often have poorer character models and environments/effects. They claimed to want to make something that would be more appropriate for eSports, but the marketing was a constant series of contradictions (from what was offered for the physical purchases in Japan to the "core values" streaming incident at Evo Japan), and DoA6 has no more of a tournament presence in the FGC than previous games, including failing to make Evo like Team Ninja wanted it to while SCVI did. No one familiar with what happened the last time they tried to tone down DoA only to backpedal on it with the original DoA5 ever took them seriously.

That said, I would say that I don't see much difference between SFV and SCVI in respect to fanservice when compared to something like DoA5:LR. It was mainly tournaments aired on ESPN where there were more restrictions imposed on what outfits were considered acceptable (default Laura presented the least issues while still not being something that broadcasters would be happy with, Cammy and R. Mika being more of a problem in that regard). I'm not really under the impression that they took that into consideration when taking Poison's default into account.
That was their messaging, not mine, and I understand the skepticism given the results of the DoA tournament scene (it's never been great).

Poison's new default actually does show less skin, cleavage, and cheek than SFIV (though not by much...), but I also think there's a big difference between a character like Poison who (like Ivy in Soul Calibur) makes overt attempts to appear sexy and sexual (it's literally a part of her character), unlike characters in Soul Calibur like, say, Talim or Hilde.

Because you know what Talim certainly didn't need? A thong and underboob. And yet that's her default look. Hilde never needed big boob armor. Cassandra didn't need to lose her undershirt. Seong Mi-na's skirt is barely held on at this point. Etc.

Not every character needs to be IVY. And yet every character has shed clothing like Ivy in SCVI. It's especially egregious compared to the men.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
That was their messaging, not mine, and I understand the skepticism given the results of the DoA tournament scene (it's never been great).

Poison's new default actually does show less skin, cleavage, and cheek than SFIV (though not by much...), but I also think there's a big difference between a character like Poison who (like Ivy in Soul Calibur) makes overt attempts to appear sexy and sexual (it's literally a part of her character), unlike characters in Soul Calibur like, say, Talim or Hilde.

Because you know what Talim certainly didn't need? A thong and underboob. And yet that's her default look. Hilde never needed big boob armor. Cassandra didn't need to lose her undershirt. Seong Mi-na's skirt is barely held on at this point. Etc.

Not every character needs to be IVY. And yet every character has shed clothing like Ivy in SCVI. It's especially egregious compared to the men.
To be fair to DoA, the FGC was never particularly concerned with its fanservice, hence other franchises getting a pass. The fact that DoA6 is ultimately still DoA mechanically is what keeps players who don't like how those games play away from it.

That said, I do understand that the point of contention for players dissatisfied with SCVI's direction is the fact that Project Soul decided to sex every female character up rather than having designated "sexy characters" like Ivy (with that indeed being the point with Poison's character in SF, too). The fact that it's a complete 180 from how tame SCV was likely makes this one piling on the cheesecake even more than SCIV did that much more jarring.

Deleted member 22405

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So things to note, she seems to have a lethal hit condition by jumping over lows. I can see her having comeback potential on low health because of that. Back throw leads into a launcher (or could be part of the throw?) so that's a neat way to ring people out besides her probable forward verticals. She seems to have a lot of guard meter stack off parrying (I think that might be universal GI?).

playorgodai

Banned
May 23, 2019
User banned (permanent): Sexist trolling. Account in junior phase.

well, this might surprise you, and hold on to your seat okay cause this is a doozy. She was born a female and around the age of twelve or so she developed these things we call Breasts and Some women grow these in all various sizes Hilda's, for example, grew fairly large so the blacksmiths had to make armor that is both durable and supportive like the bras today's women wear at first they made one not shapely but she complained to the blacksmiths that it was a tad difficult moving her arms to properly swing her weapon in combat so the blacksmith decided to model her armor similar to some of her finest gowns that she wears to
social gatherings but they kept in mind that this is still armor! they cant have her bosoms out on display on the battlefield that would be a very poor choice in design then they noticed something else, they're fictional characters!

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Her outfit looks cute! I like the crown and the robe. I sold the game a couple months ago but I may jump back in at a deep discount.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The over-emphasized boob plate is dumb as hell but I really like the rest. Her visual design went from being a knight to being royalty.
I've been thinking about this more recently, now that Hilde's visual design is now that of royalty what if her new armor is meant to be a ceremonial armor since its so impractical as combat armor yet so flashy? Like how the Viking horned helmet or the English cod piece armor are worn only for ceremonial purposes

I apologize if this sounds like apologizing for the design, just to make this clear I do dislike this design, it betrays her original design goal

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
well, this might surprise you, and hold on to your seat okay cause this is a doozy. She was born a female and around the age of twelve or so she developed these things we call Breasts and Some women grow these in all various sizes Hilda's, for example, grew fairly large so the blacksmiths had to make armor that is both durable and supportive like the bras today's women wear at first they made one not shapely but she complained to the blacksmiths that it was a tad difficult moving her arms to properly swing her weapon in combat so the blacksmith decided to model her armor similar to some of her finest gowns that she wears to
social gatherings but they kept in mind that this is still armor! they cant have her bosoms out on display on the battlefield that would be a very poor choice in design then they noticed something else, they're fictional characters!
Calling her "a female" told me immediately this post was going to be fucking terrible and boy howdy was it.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She looks great, I really love the new design. Wasn't planning on picking up Season 2 as I haven't played SC6 much, but this has just changed my mind.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I've been thinking about this more recently, now that Hilde's visual design is now that of royalty what if her new armor is meant to be a ceremonial armor since its so impractical as combat armor yet so flashy? Like how the Viking horned helmet or the English cod piece armor are worn only for ceremonial purposes

I apologize if this sounds like apologizing for the design, just to make this clear I do dislike this design, it betrays her original design goal
There's also ancient Greek ceremonial armour where the breastplate was designed to represent the male form at its physical peak, and even some medieval armour made for combat had elements of representing the ideal male form at the time (like a very thin waist).

But well, it doesn't make Hilde's armour look any less stupid. Her design in SC6 looks as if the blacksmith used 2 large balloons during the moulding process.

If they wanted "boob armour" I think it would be fine if it was something more subtle. For instance, something like this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/56/7b/f5/567bf598387fd2981555a6dd3647a459.png

I like the overall design, though. It looks far more regal than her look in 4 or 5, with the large furry coat and tiara. But I also really hope we'll get her SC4 or SC5 1P as a bonus, as those were really cool-looking armours.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
The fact that one camera shot hovered over her "heaving armored titties" isn't exactly doing this any favors. I was hoping Hilde would be the one character they did right by but apparently not.

Like I like fanservice too but there's supposed to be "the characters that aren't that" for the people who "complain" to switch to. When you change the characters who aren't fanservice to "also fanservice" it kind of puts a dent in any conversation talking about having variety of designs.

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh... how is Street Fighter a good example when they can't even use default costumes for some characters on stream for showing too much skin and having to move the camera for certain scenes because it focused too much on tits and asses, and how did they improved future characters when poison is still wearing short shorts a crop top and no bra in her default costume?
The new free outfits designed for tournament (Olympics) use is a start I guess.

I don't even think theres a single female character that doesn't wear a miniskirt, short shorts, or is straight out pantsless in her default

There are a few

Laura (suspect design otherwise)
Karin (has a skirt but leggings under)
Juri (suspect design otherwise)

That said, I would say that I don't see much difference between SFV and SCVI in respect to fanservice
A big thing is that you can often finish a SCVI match with your character in their underwear, but that's a different issue to character design.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I hate both her designs.
Though of course they had to sex it up.

I think the heels are even more egregious than the breast plate.
Controversial to some belief, boob plates can actually suffice as combat armor assuming the wearer is properly guarded underneath the ornamental outer layer.

High heels are always a liability to your health, let alone when engaging in combat FFS

Never cared for her as a character in Soul Calibur 4 either.
I want another Soul Calibur dude please, all of the DLC characters have been women so far(With Tira and Amy being the only ones I like)
:/

Last edited:

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
The new free outfits designed for tournament (Olympics) use is a start I guess.

There are a few

Laura (suspect design otherwise)
Karin (has a skirt but leggings under)
Juri (suspect design otherwise)

You are right, but still you can see Laura's thong even if she wears pants and the lines in Juri's biker suggest the shape of panties. Karin is alright, I guess, and I don't even hate the designs but it's weird to pick SFV as an example of fighting games going for most respectful designs for the female cast when it's arguably the horniest game of the franchise.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Character Page is up on the official site

img_visual.png

img_ss_01.jpg

Parts of her armor

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I am very happy one of my favourite girls is back and I'm definitely going to use her as my sub. She just looks so fantastic and I really love her design even though I'm in the minority here of this thread. Man, I wish we got a date though cause season 2 needs to revive the game sooner than later.

Also congrats to that amazing Mitsurugi player. Absolutely stellar set that was against Azwel.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

Bamco pls I'm starvin here

Character Page is up on the official site

Parts of her armor
aww it doesn't list her old costume. Though Amy's and Cassandra's pages don't either. Were their old outfits part of a free update everyone got? Don't remember.

Also congrats to that amazing Mitsurugi player. Absolutely stellar set that was against Azwel.
It was pretty great. I'm gonna post some clips of the finals

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
A big thing is that you can often finish a SCVI match with your character in their underwear, but that's a different issue to character design.
Still in line with DoA5:LR in that respect, which does have clothing damage for some of the outfits there. True that SFV has yet to go that far, as skimpy as outfits still tend to get in it.
aww it doesn't list her old costume. Though Amy's and Cassandra's pages don't either. Were their old outfits part of a free update everyone got? Don't remember.
No purchase, no outfit parts for Amy or Cassandra. Same for the "cursed bird" parts for Tira (which is still left incomplete if you don't get one of the parts/music packs) and 2B's Kaine outfit.

Last edited:

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
HxBvJnc.jpg

MtLH0OL.jpg

And yes, her SC4 outfit is included, if there was any doubt

If anyone's looking to pick the game up, it's part of this month's humble bundle, so you can snag it for just $12!