• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You were so quick to call out Bernie for racism (rightfully) but you're hedging here based on some abstract principles of politics (which don't event fucking apply because she isn't in any position of power here or in Europe).

Just call it racism. That's what this is. It's not "being bad at politics".

You and I both know that's not going to happen.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, can't be down with this at all. That's completely the wrong answer.

The political left will hate this, and rightly so, because it's a complete abdication of duty and moral responsibility just to try and make racists and the like happy.

However, that's just the thing. The political right and racists and the like will also hate this. Because it will never be enough. You propose limiting immigration, they propose limiting it more. You limit it even more than that, and they limit it even further. You go all the way of stopping immigration entirely, they switch to talking about stripping away rights from previous immigrants instead. Etc. You can't out racist racists and not only is it wrong to try but completely pointless, because it will never be enough and the goalposts will always be moved.

You'd think being a part of the Obama administration and seeing what Republicans were pulling in Congress, and then, you know, everything to do with Trump would teach her these things, but I guess that's not the case after all.

But either way, the point being, not only is that answer morally wrong, but it makes neither camp happy at all and is doomed to failure because if you try it you'll neither be motivating your own base to turn out or actually giving anywhere near enough to appease the other guys and get them on your own side. There's just nothing there, at all.

Extremely disappointing answer.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You were so quick to call out Bernie for racism (rightfully) but you're hedging here based on some abstract principles of politics (which don't event fucking apply because she isn't in any position of power here or in Europe).

I have called it out. I also understand why you end up making these concessions in places like Germany or Vermont, or the US as a whole. But how you frame them and what they actually are matters. Im super liberal on this personally- but the chances of my preferred policy getting enacted in full are like 0% because the swing voters are a problem.

These arent abstract principles, its a pattern of political behavior we see repeat throughout history.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hillary was always allowed to be criticized without you being sexist but that doesn't mean that a lot of the criticisms lobbed at her weren't sexist

It's kind of weird that you don't seem to get that tbh
I think what they're getting at is that a lot of the people who criticized Hillary were implied or outright called sexist for criticizing her.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure Hillary, lets appease the racists and xenophobes. That will surely work to quell their growth and totally won't legitimize their movement at all...

This is so dumb.

Allard23

Nov 7, 2018
I have called it out. I also understand why you end up making these concessions in places like Germany or Vermont, or the US as a whole. But how you frame them and what they actually are matters. Im super liberal on this personally- but the chances of my preferred policy getting enacted in full are like 0% because the swing voters are a problem.

These arent abstract principles, its a pattern of political behavior we see repeat throughout history.
You call it out but continue to apologize for it so....

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I think what they're getting at is that a lot of the people who criticized Hillary were implied or outright called sexist for criticizing her.

A lot of them were sexist?

I think what they're getting at is that they personally feel aggrieved about some particular interaction they had.

That's very unfortunate but it doesn't justify trolling threads with passive-aggressive complaints about your personal grievances, regardless of how commonplace that behavior has become among some posters here!

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Does anyone here have an immigration answer that isn't let everyone go anywhere whenever they want? You have to understand that viewpoint is a non-starter.

Allard23

Nov 7, 2018
A lot of them were sexist?

I think what they're getting at is that they personally feel aggrieved about some particular interaction they had.

That's very unfortunate but it doesn't justify trolling threads with passive-aggressive complaints about your personal grievances, regardless of how commonplace that behavior has become among some posters here!
Yeah, this.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
People have been criticizing Hillary for years but they'd get shouted down as being sexist (similar to how Auto tried to say that yelling back YAAAS QUEEEEN was a homophobic dog whistle) or influenced by the right-wing media. That effectively shut the conversation down. It's only now that these criticisms are being heard and taken seriously.

I'm going to blow your mind, but it's possible to be objectively critical of anyone, including Hillary Clinton — especially her, since she's had such a long and public career, mired in both legitimate and illegitimately manufactured controversy — while recognizing that much of the criticism of her and people like Nancy Pelosi is influenced in large or small part by Republicans' multi-decade propaganda campaigns against them. Those began because said women were talented and dangerous to Republican agenda, but crucially were successful because of our society's propensity to fall prey to sexism.

The incessant cavalcade of drive-bys that accompanies any thread about a female politician, Hillary or not, is rooted in sexism. The rhetoric of "go away" is sexism, because it isn't mirrored against male presidential candidates. Regardless of whether you agree with Autodidact's position on "YAAAS QUEEN!" (which IMO is indisputably rooted in LGBT pop culture, and thus has homophobic connotation), such posts are low effort drive-bys that are unproductive.

Generally, when there are things to be objectively critical of Hillary on, even her supporters do so. This thread is a prime example of that. It just so happens that there a bunch of other threads for news about her that are predicated on misquotations, deliberately misunderstanding her, sexist rhetoric, etc.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Why can't more countries just do what Canada does and use a points system? I haven't heard anyone calling Canada a monstrous country but when that idea gets floated around in the States its spoken of as the worst thing that could possibly happen to this country.

Canada can get away with it because you can't get to Canada easily by land. You either fly in or have to go through the US (and as an immigrant if you can get to the US you'll probably end up staying there). Flying into Canada is going to be prohibitively expensive, plus you'll likely need a travel visa before they'll let you in anyhow.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

racism is only worthy of outrage when poor and uneducated people engage in it, or when a politician I really, really hate says bad and problematic things about it

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This thread stopped being about the comments and has been about posters sniping at each other for a while now, as such it has been locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.