• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, if you think that's how it works you're going to be disappointed.

IE: Stop thinking replicating what happened in the trans-era threads is something that will net you a positive result. Cause trying to mimic actual outrage from a community that is already dealing with tons of IRL bullshit only to see it posted on here day by day is a tad different than going to bat for someone who got banned for three days.

Positioning yourself like this is a pretty incredible degree of vile, conrats!

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yea, if you think that's how it works you're going to be disappointed.

IE: Stop thinking replicating what happened in the trans-era threads is something that will net you a positive result. Cause trying to mimic actual outrage from a community that is already dealing with tons of IRL bullshit only to see it posted on here day by day is a tad different than going to bat for someone who got banned for three days.
What the fuck is this shit?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I understand your frustration with the "grating voice" posters because I know it's a trope women politicians have to deal with all the time. Seeing it still get posted signifies to us that this kind of thinking is ingrained in a not insignificant part of the public conscious. Now, could you not assume people are "pretending to stan" for progressive issues when they take umbrage with the US 2016 Democratic candidate calling legislation that helps poor and middle class Americans childish, giving hearty praise to a notable war criminal, and continuing to make light of Trans issues? I would like to believe if we somehow read the interview without the context that the speaker was Ms. Clinton, the reader would still appropriately remark on the interviewee's apparent disdain for those to their political left. Seeing the political choice we got in 2016 making these points is painful too.

You're right, I didn't mean actually "pretending", I think almost everyone on this site actually believes in most of the things they say. What I mean is, they are choosing to be incredibly toxic in how they present it, because they know if someone calls them out on how much of an asshole they are being for seemingly no reason, they can just use the topic of discussion as a shield to deflect against their needless hostility, toxic nature, ridiculous assertions and so forth.

I've said this before, but people have turned being progressive into a pissing contest to score brownie points with each other.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I mean we can both recognize the ban might have been much for something that was misconstrue as sexist and also see that a three day ban is...minor.

Any kind of punishment for that comment sends a message that criticising Hillary Clinton is frowned upon and can be misconstrued as sexism. If that word was used to describe any other TERF with open contempt for the poor, it would be a non-issue. But for some fucking reason, certain posters on this board seem to think that people are only pretending to have problems with certain problematic democrats because they're secret sexists or trump supporters or whatever. As if no time has passed between 2016 and now.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
This thread is about an interview. If you can't show any restraint and just have to make an inflammatory drive-by post unrelated to the thread, maybe you just deserve to be banned. It was a bad post. If anyone had made a similar comment about Bernie in the thread about Bernie's newest plan, I dare say they would have faced far harsher punishment than this short ban. It's curious to me that people feel the need to defend this awful post, after the moderation team announced they'd crack down on these things.

About ghoul being a sexist comment... Probably not? But the nature of the sexist society we live in today, including this forum, means that women will face such insults on a more frequent basis than men. Indeed, in this case is was aimed at a woman who is perhaps one of the most blatant examples of a victim of sexism on a massive scale in recent times. So it wouldn't hurt to think a little before adding to the pile, even if your intentions weren't sexist.

In this interview, Hillary opened it up by defending someone who can be described as a war criminal, before going on to mock social healthcare/education and misgender. Yet the bigger problem for many appears to be tone-policing dissent on Era (again, I refer to what I objectively claim is dissent, the nails on a chalkboard comment was in bad taste).

You can't just bring all the "all women face" point as a blanket defence of Hillary Clinton receiving flak for this interview. It pushes people into a corner where they feel reluctant to express their anger at Hillary as if just about everything they say will be met with "Did you know all women face... and how do you feel about that when addressing Hillary?".

It's not the average decent American's fault America is soo far behind the rest of the world at electing a female leader, but at the same time not every female candidate/prospect is equal simply because of their gender identity. Nicola Sturgeon is not the same as Theresa May because both happen to be female. Theresa May was a fucking terrible leader of the UK, Nicola Sturgeon is a decent, empathetic and hard-working leader of Scotland.

Theresa May is a monster who caused untold pain/death via her foreign policy (Windrush) let alone her parties inhumane treatment of social security and people within the UK. Before we get to her receiving a lot of flak for how she treated the Grenfell disaster in the UK. And the list goes on. Lots of what May does/says, is probably centrism in America. That IS America's fault you guys can't seem to understand many in your Democrat party are nowhere near left-wing by standards outside of your country.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
How many times does Hillary have to say suspect TERF shit before we call her for what she is? Imo the people coming in and drive by posting "great interview" are far more worthy of a ban than calling her a ghoul.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck is this shit?

It's looking more and more that all it's going to take is one person to be outraged and demand action against a comment for a person to cop a ban. This ban and another that comes to mind ( the thread had plenty of people trying to back up the banned person) are prime examples. I don't like the direction at all, it's over correcting because months and months of inaction led to the community blow up we got.

He's talking about Ket

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can never understand how people fell in love with this ghoul.

God, they're insufferable.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
He's talking about Ket

I'm talking about a ban that happened today in a thread about the office but I honestly don't know where the line is on mentioning such specifics, they would probably be even more of a possible thread derail. I do really wish more " warnings" were issued on comments, with posters given a chance to clarify their possible problematic comments. I have negative interest in bringing up that whole other firestorm as it was handled properly with a mea culpa.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
How many times does Hillary have to say suspect TERF shit before we call her for what she is? Imo the people coming in and drive by posting "great interview" are far more worthy of a ban than calling her a ghoul.
Yep.

I asked two of them about it and yet not once have the actually responded to those points and instead got attacked and indirectly accused of pretending to care about progressive issues.

But I'm the one bringing up unrelated points apparently, even though its about actual things Clinton siad in the interview and none of the people praising it seem to want to acknowledge her shitty comments

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In this interview, Hillary opened it up by defending someone who can be described as a war criminal, before going on to mock social healthcare/education and misgender. Yet the bigger problem for many appears to be tone-policing dissent on Era (again, I refer to what I objectively claim is dissent, the nails on a chalkboard comment was in bad taste).

You can't just bring all the "all women face" point as a blanket defence of Hillary Clinton receiving flak for this interview. It pushes people into a corner where they feel reluctant to express their anger at Hillary as if just about everything they say will be met with "Did you know all women face... and how do you feel about that when addressing Hillary?".

It's not the average decent American's fault America is soo far behind the rest of the world at electing a female leader, but at the same time not every female candidate/prospect is equal simply because of their gender identity. Nicola Sturgeon is not the same as Theresa May because both happen to be female. Theresa May was a fucking terrible leader of the UK, Nicola Sturgeon is a decent, empathetic and hard-working leader of Scotland.

Theresa May is a monster who caused untold pain/death via her foreign policy (Windrush) let alone her parties inhumane treatment of social security and people within the UK. Before we get to her receiving a lot of flak for how she treated the Grenfell disaster in the UK. And the list goes on. Lots of what May does/says, is probably centrism in America. That IS America's fault you guys can't seem to understand many in your Democrat party are nowhere near left-wing by standards outside of your country.

Yet that comment wasn't made as a reaction to anything she said in the interview. It was a drive-by post with no context. It was, we can only assume, just a reaction to seeing her name.

And of course women can be criticised. That wasn't the point of my post at all. I was simply pointing out that calling a woman names without any further explanation can be very easily seen as sexist, even if it isn't intended that way, simply because of how prevalent that sort of sexism is.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet that comment wasn't made as a reaction to anything she said in the interview. It was a drive-by post with no context. It was, we can only assume, just a reaction to seeing her name.

And of course women can be criticised. That wasn't the point of my post at all. I was simply pointing out that calling a woman names without any further explanation can be very easily seen as sexist, even if it isn't intended that way, simply because of how prevalent that sort of sexism is.
A common issue, for both her and at times Bernie.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

Assume, drive-by, can be very easily seen as, etc. How do you know what was in someone else's head when they posted?

And even if someone did react in such a way, is there any chance they are doing so based off of historic events with said person they are unhappy with? It's one post in a whole topic, I don't know why people can't just ignore a poster sometimes rather than demanding action get taken over a scenario they assume intent. If ghoul isn't a sexist comment in America when dissenting politicians, then it shouldn't be assumed as sexist without clear intent. No?

As I said, that seems to be the more important "game" for some people in America right now, rather than being angry your country is in a mess and some of your leaders are a joke to even call themselves left-wing in the richest and one of the most powerful countries on the earth.

If this interview doesn't help the left-wing during an election cycle, then I don't know why anyone would expect people to be universally happy. It wasn't just an interview about Hillary, as a person, or her life story, she gave opinions on policy/other people.

Anyway, probably for the best it's just left alone now. Some food for thought though as to why some of your fellow Americans are at their wits end with the status quo (centrism/faux left-wing politics). That is really the main takeaway here, not arguing over decision making on an internet hobby/enthusiast forum.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That comment was a reaction to the news posted in the OP, obviously. Besides, Hillary is a well known politician and many know of what she has done both good and bad.

I wouldn't classify it as a drive-by post and the mods obviously didn't, either.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
About ghoul being a sexist comment... Probably not? But the nature of the sexist society we live in today, including this forum, means that women will face such insults on a more frequent basis than men. Indeed, in this case is was aimed at a woman who is perhaps one of the most blatant examples of a victim of sexism on a massive scale in recent times. So it wouldn't hurt to think a little before adding to the pile, even if your intentions weren't sexist.
And this is quite bullshit. It's basically the same thing loquaciousjenny was doing, trying to say that the post was sexist but in an extremely roundabout way. Just because Hillary has been the victim of sexist attacks doesn't mean that all attacks against her is sexist. This is just trying to curtail all attacks against her. As we can clearly see, SurrenderDorothy's post is not sexist and sphagnum has posted examples of other users saying ghoul before in regards to politicians.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

Timeline rundown

Hillary Clinton mocks the idea that poor purple should get healthcare, blames everyone but herself for 2016 loss, is a TERF

User calls her a ghoul, gets banned

You assume that the user knows nothing about what Hillary said and did in this interview and that they were being sexist

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
We've gone ahead and removed SurrenderDorothy's ban. We'd like to apologize for the confusion surrounding the ban.

Although "ghoul" has been used against politicians before, the context changes when it's used specifically against a woman (especially an older woman.) The reason for this is because could be considered an attack on her looks. However, after further deliberation and given the ambiguity of how the term has been used, we've opted to lift the ban. We ask that people be more aware of how their rhetoric comes across in the future.

In regards to this thread, however, the conversation has been derailed due to the discussion of the ban. Therefore, we're going to go ahead and lock this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.