• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
asking what the best Pharrell beat is almost offensive since the answer is so obviously Grindin'

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
To be honest I have always preferred When's The Last Time but I recognize that Grindin was far and away the most important and influential to the rest of the industry.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tyler is clearly more interested in the sounds of prime Neptunes production than actually filling the hitmaker role Pharrell played for like a decade and a half. hell his last album sounds more like the Neptunes than the last NERD album does for that matter, cuz Pharrell has always pumped out what his version of contemporary pop sounds like. Tyler seems more concerned with focusing on a tighter circle of artists and moving forward with his own material from album to album. Pharrell is a legend, but his solo material is incredibly vapid. Tyler actually seems to give a shit about evolving from album to album.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
He may want that. He obviously has a pretty wide open taste in music if Camp Flog Gnaw lineups are an indication. But there's really no comparison in terms of career arc. Neptunes were the biggest producers in rap/pop/r&B and then when they slowed down Pharrell was the hook man for the biggest rappers for years and years and is still working.

Eh we'll see. I don't see tyler slowing down anytime soon and he's still young even though he feels old mostly due to how young he blew up in. He's definitely someone who knows how to make connections and build a network, hell, even an empire (seriously, odd future at first, then his own brand which includes a fashion line, a huge ass festival and other random media shit not even including his music)

Oct 25, 2017
Young Thug supposedly got arrested at Dave and Buster's last night.

I like Persona 5 despite its clear thematic issues. I don't even necessarily disagree with calling it the Hopsin of JRPGs. Still the best JRPG in the last recent while

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Eh we'll see. I don't see tyler slowing down anytime soon and he's still young even though he feels old mostly due to how young he blew up in. He's definitely someone who knows how to make connections and build a network, hell, even an empire (seriously, odd future at first, then his own brand which includes a fashion line, a huge ass festival and other random media shit not even including his music)

Certainly I'm not taking down on what he's achieved. Pharrell had writing credits back to Rumpshaker when they were still in high school. I do acknowledge that radio hits aren't necessarily the same thing anymore in the internet era but I think you may be discounting the difference between big to rap fans and big to rest the world. It all comes down to what you mean by heir.

EDIT: to be clear I'm not even arguing who is "better." I've never even liked a N.E.R.D. album. ever. And the Neptunes compilation thing with him and Chad on the cover was trash too.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly I'm not taking down on what he's achieved. Pharrell had writing credits back to Rumpshaker when they were still in high school. I do acknowledge that radio hits aren't necessarily the same thing anymore in the internet era but I think you may be discounting the difference between big to rap fans and big to rest the world. It all comes down to what you mean by heir.

EDIT: to be clear I'm not even arguing who is "better." I've never even liked a N.E.R.D. album. ever. And the Neptunes compilation thing with him and Chad on the cover was trash too.

It kinda depends on how far you see his potential I guess. To me his potential is so vast.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I am really struggling to connect Tyler to Pharrell given all that Pharrell does, has done, and has crossed over doing. Not just ticking off boxes but the industry demand and changes he's had a role in. I think you can make a better case for Ye being the heir to Pharrell than Tyler, even.

asking what the best Pharrell beat is almost offensive since the answer is so obviously Grindin'
This is true. Technically Neptunes, but I guess one in the same.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you mean just in terms of making full albums, I'd argue that Tyler is already there or passed him. But they are so different. Pharell has always wanted to be a little edgy but still relevant to a pop audience. Even on the N.E.R.D. "this is our real music" stuff, nothing they did was ever pushing the envelope creatively or mildly challenging.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Ye and CuDi performing FSMH Pt.1 in a club in LA randomly.

tenor.gif

you're the sun to my morning, babe :cryfam:

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Robb Bank$ releases a new mixtape.

And this is the cover:
Mod edit: Don't post images of sexualized minors, even if they're the official mix tape cover

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like that tape like at all if I'm being honest

I like a lot of those guys from FL, but I have never been able to get into Robb Bank$, and that trash ass cover isn't helping

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was weird but I'm not outraged by it, I mean it's an animated character, people sexualize Jasmine from Aladdin all the time without realizing how old she is written to be. The mod edit makes this funnier to me, censoring a dumb mixtape album cover...

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Aight

If a cover is obviously too wild, please just mention the name of both the artist and mixtape instead of actually posting the cover (even behind spoiler tags)

..Tsuyu deserves better than this bullshit
mjcry1dosgi.png

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was weird but I'm not outraged by it, I mean it's an animated character, people sexualize Jasmine from Aladdin all the time without realizing how old she is written to be
I mean it's kind of a problem with anime. It's creepy. At no point does Aladdin really tell you Jasmine's age most people think it's above a team but for anime people they tell you the age .

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
She and her peers are overtly sexualized in the anime as well honestly, the amount of cringe almost outweighs the hype of my hero at moments

Status
Not open for further replies.