• Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Hip-Hop Era |OT| Bless Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Behind you.
Very understandable, personally not a big fan of the metal scene generally. I'm mostly into BM and the surrounding sub-genres of it nowadays. What stuff of it did you like?
Honestly, I forgot my example, but I know what I liked about it. It was heavy, the guitar playing was great and it just sounded noisy and great. The musicality of Metal is nice but the singers kinda kill it for me.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced I was a goth/metal kid in a past life to be honest. No surprise that I fuck with rap that samples metal instrumentation (and I can tolerate some light screaming).

I got a metal playlist with people like Machine Head and Chelsea Grin.

Also Inkvoterad could you give me some more recommendations? I like that band you posted.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How can you say that when the lineup isn’t even out yet?
I'd ask you the same thing. Also, I've been to 2 day rap festivals. I'd ask do you really want to hear guys like Made in Tko, 24 hrs, post malone, and Migos for 3 straight days? I mean really I'd say that to most festivals that a centered around a single genre.

Oct 25, 2017
I’ve never gotten into metal. Some days I think I should, but I’m not a big fan of the aesthetic.
you've gotta ease into it. start with Sabbath and stoner metal, slide from that into maybe some doom, from there dip your toes in Scandinavian melodeath. you'll be listening to shit from some mountain-bound Swede that sounds like it was recorded on a Talkboy before you know it. it's a really broad genre with something for everyone if you take a little time to turn over some rocks. IIRC you recommended the last Lana del Rabies record, right? if your musical tolerance extends to something that harsh, you'll probably find something you like.

also metalheads invented the pathological need to categorize every possible band into a subgenre. the didactic arguments i used to read made those discussion that take place over EDM look like a bunch of toddlers arguing about what to name a puppy.

Very understandable, personally not a big fan of the metal scene generally. I'm mostly into BM and the surrounding sub-genres of it nowadays. What stuff of it did you like?
it's been a while since i was really into it, but black metal was an exciting one because you always ran the risk of finding something you like and then discovering a few weeks later that, oops, turns out they're nazis!

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I'd ask you the same thing. Also, I've been to 2 day rap festivals. I'd ask do you really want to hear guys like Made in Tko, 24 hrs, post malone, and Migos for 3 straight days? I mean really I'd say that to most festivals that a centered around a single genre.
Coming from someone who’s been to Coachella and rolling loud but hates post Malone, I don’t think you realize that there’s more than one act going on at the same time.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Coming from someone who’s been to Coachella and rolling loud but hates post Malone, I don’t think you realize that there’s more than one act going on at the same time.
I’ve never been to rolling loud but I did day and night in Anaheim and it was the same sorta thing. Mostly new school rap, which I love on record, and a handful of token pop/r&b acts like Khalid. I don’t see how that could possibly be better than the Coachella lineup.

Nov 27, 2018
So I practically forgot that A-Boogie Wit Da Hoodie existed until his catchy hook on "WAKA" and it made me re-listen to that song "My Shit" that I felt like should've been popping as much as Broccoli was at around the same time, because it's a great little tune. I hit shuffle play on A-Boogie on Spotify but had to keep skipping because it turns out songs like these two are quite rare.

Can anyone recommend any similar songs (either by him or by anyone) that could possibly be described as the lyrics sort of bouncing along the beat. They're just fun to listen to.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Only decent part is Phish and Joe Russos Almsot Dead.
I really do not need to see them more than once but I know that they got fans. I do actually like the lineup quite a bit. I like people like John Prine but there's just so much overlap with the other big festivals with the indie rock like Beach House and The National and the electronic acts like RL that I probably wouldn't travel for it.

Jun 3, 2018
i'm curious as to your definition of a hipster now lol
Uhhh following the latest trendy thing.

Hipsters cling on to the whole “I like everything, even though I can’t name you any song besides the most popular one from said artist”

Hipsters are basically what they thought they weren’t when the phrase first popped up . It isn’t about being into the opposite of what trends with the masses now, they are the masses.

All these small acts at Coachella and what not that they heard on a Spotify mix that they think only they are aware of and feel like they are in some exclusive club lol

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Uhhh following the latest trendy thing.

Hipsters cling on to the whole “I like everything, even though I can’t name you any song besides the most popular one from said artist”
i mean, i won't argue that yes, there are a shit ton of hipsters at festivals. but definitely not everyone is.

festivals are cool because you can see a bunch of artists you really like for relatively cheaper than seeing them if they came on tour separately. i've actually learned about a couple of artists i had never heard of and now still listen to. flatbush zombies, danny brown, thundercat, and CHVRCHES to name a few

Oct 25, 2017
any festival with Phish in it automatically cancels out any hipster element. Father John Misty and Beach House could play on top of a mountain of selvedge denim and vintage Ray Ban wayfarers and that still wouldn't be enough to cancel out the lameness of seeing Mike Gordon fuck a vacuum cleaner.
A forumer should rap over it.

Any suggestions, lacer? Ha.
we call up Earl Sweatpants outta retirement. you know he's gotta do it to em!

Status
Not open for further replies.