• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too lazy to crop but here:
1 Travi$ Scott 123
2 Frank Ocean 116
3 Denzel Curry 101
4 Earl Sweatshirt 92
5 Kanye West 90
6 Oneohtrix Point Never 85
7 The Weeknd 72
8 Playboi Carti 70
9 Vince Staples 69
10 BROCKHAMPTON 64

I'm honestly shocked I've *only* listened to 720 artists.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, this album is weird.

It's like free verse poetry being spit over some hazy, atmospheric instrumentals. Check it out if you want something new.

Oct 26, 2017
Still need to hear Whack World in its entirety but as for right now.
  • Fetti
  • Orpheus vs. The Sirens
  • Supreme Blientele
  • Streams of Though Vol. 1 and 2
I'm debating what I'd put last.

I really liked Drogas Wave but haven't relistened to it due to the length and wanting to only hear it as a whole rather than in pieces. Still need to relisten to No News is Good News too as I didn't really absorb it the first time through. Black Eyed Peas' is an easy and refreshing listen, as is Dicaprio 2, which may be why I like it a lot.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Still need to hear Whack World in its entirety but as for right now.
  • Fetti
  • Orpheus vs. Sirens
  • Supreme Blientele
  • Streams of Though Vol. 1 and 2
I'm debating what I'd put last.

I really liked Drogas Wave but haven't relistened to it due to the length and wanting to only hear it as a whole rather than in pieces. Still need to relisten to No News is Good News too as I didn't really absorb it the first time through. Black Eyed Peas' is an easy and refreshing listen, as is Dicaprio 2, which may be why I like it a lot.

My man 🙏🏽

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
Daytona
Orpheus vs. the Sirens
Streams of Thought Vol. 2
Some Rap Songs
Kids See Ghosts

short albums are good

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Honest question to y'all :
Why is Cardi's album showing up on so many " Best of " lists? I like her and it was good but I'm perplexed. And it's showing up on lists of outlets that clearly listen to lots of rap too... I feel like I'm missing something here

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Cardi's album showing up on so many " Best of " lists? I like her and it was good but I'm perplexed. And it's showing up on lists of outlets that clearly listen to lots of rap too... I feel like I'm missing something here
It's a better than average pop album.

Seriously, as far as debuts go, it's a pretty good pop album. It's both artistically alright and full of commercial appeal. It's the same reason why Ariana's album is getting so much acclaim.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's a bit weird. I am not a fan of the album and I don't see how it's a better mainstream release than something like astroworld. It's getting a lot more acclaim than plenty of other rap releases. Hell its getting put in top 10's of general lists which is laughable.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
It's been such a strong year that the only album mentioned so far I'm certain will be in my top 5 is Orpheus vs. The Sirens. Just a ridiculous amount of music to narrow down

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I know Ka is still kinda underground but the lack of him on any site lists that i've seen is painful

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
Cardi's album is dope for pop rap and she killed meek on his own album.

Stay sleeping on that Luca Brasi 3

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Then again if Cardi being so prominent means I have to hear/see less of Nicki's Tekashi caping ass and her horrible fan base then please give Cardi every award

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could get into JID but his voice annoys me. it's not as bad as that jimmy neutron's mate sounding Killy, but still stops from listening for than one or 2 songs at a time. That Killy guy though.... man his voice is damn annoying.

On another notes, this new Earl is my first time listening to an Earl album (I may have listened to his first project years ago when he had that crazy video of blood coming out his mouth) and its really refreshing to me. This could be due to so much of my hip hop listening over the past couple years has been melodic driven trap stuff. It feels to go back to some minimalist rap driven and loop based hip hop. Just some nice samples and dope rhymes. Definitely reminiscent when I would chill, smoke up and bang some Madlib.

Does this mean I should check out Earl's previous projects?

Last edited:

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Top five rap albums this year:

1. Saba - Care For Me
2. Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs
3. Travis Scott - Astroworld
4. Kids See Ghosts - KSG
5. J.I.D - DiCaprio 2

Saba will 1 on my top 10 of every blend of genre.

This list was not easy for me to make as there were SO many great rap albums this year. I really believe this year is gonna be looked back on.

Honorable mentions not in my top 5.

Smino - NOIR
Mick Jenkins- Pieces Of A Man
Cozz - Effected

Smino probably would of made my top 5 but the album feels a bit bloated at times. There is always a song or two I skip when I listen to it.

I should probably of just made a top ten lol. Feel bad leaving off shit like Black Milk .

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

Wish I could get into JID but his voice annoys me. it's not as bad as that jimmy neutron's mate sounding Killy, but still stops from listening for than one or 2 songs at a time. That Killy guy though.... man his voice is damn annoying.
I really fuck with Killy and bumped his two projects heavily this year. Surrender Your Soul will definitely be in my Top 10. But I guess I can kinda see why some people would find it annoying - I generally don't have an issue with all these rappers with nasaly or weird voices though e.g. Thug, Nav etc. (except for some of Kendrick's voices when it doesn't fit the track he's featured on). I'm more annoyed by certain types of inflections more than voice tone. Like, I really dislike The Weeknd's style of singing and inflection.

I have to say J.I.D.'s has some dope songs on the album, but sometimes I wish he'd tone down the fast rapping a bit.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Still gotta catch up a bit but

Saba
Earl
Brockhampton
Benny/Conway in general

I keep trying to give that Travis Scott album a chance but he just seems like one of the least interesting auto tune rappers to me.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
Can anyone recommend some more....upbeat/energetic albums? I've skimmed through a bunch of the thread and listened to a lot of the more common names such as Drake and Kendrick Lamar etc but it's not quite what I am after. It may be that I tend to like "Rap" more(tbh I am not sure what really separates Rap & Hip Hop), few examples would be Chino XL, Tech N9ne, Bone Thugz(certain tracks) etc. I can listen to pretty much anything, but lately I have preferred lifting to upbeat hip hop/rap rather than the usual heavy metal.

Any help appreciated.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend some more....upbeat/energetic albums? I've skimmed through a bunch of the thread and listened to a lot of the more common names such as Drake and Kendrick Lamar etc but it's not quite what I am after. It may be that I tend to like "Rap" more(tbh I am not sure what really separates Rap & Hip Hop), few examples would be Chino XL, Tech N9ne, Bone Thugz(certain tracks) etc. I can listen to pretty much anything, but lately I have preferred lifting to upbeat hip hop/rap rather than the usual heavy metal.

Any help appreciated.
You probably like more technical Rap with fast rapping and more lyrical? Maybe you'll like Joyner Lucas who's technical like Em, Tech 9ine, but on more modern beats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvSItvjFE1c

If you like more oldschool beats, then others have to help you since I don't listen to that kind of Rap anymore.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
  1. TA13OO by Denzel Curry
  2. Astroworld by Travis Scott
  3. DROGAS WAVE by Lupe Fiasco
  4. Salo Sessions II by Sadistik
  5. FM! by Vince Staples
  6. The Uncanny Valley (Synthwave tape from 2017 but whatever) by Perturbator
  7. I Want to Die in New Orleans by $uicideBoy$
  8. CITY MORGUE VOLUME 1: HELL OR HIGH WATER by City Morgue
  9. Daytona by Pusha T
  10. Championships by Meek Mill (late release/addition but I've been enjoying it quite a bit)

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
in no particular order

daytona
ksg
dicaprio 2
black panther

i liked many albums this year but i bumped these the most.

but we all know who deserves it the most, bayyybeeeee
Die_Lit_by_Playboi_Carti.jpg

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Diving into LION BABE and this is some good shit I've been missing

My Albums OTY

Black Panther
Book of Ryan
Dicaprio 2
Pieces of a Man
Care for Me
Everything is Fine
Oxnard
I Want To Die In New Orleans
Astroworld
Hive Mind

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tentative AOTY list (top 15):
  • Denzel Curry - Ta1300
  • DJ Koze - Knock Knock
  • Travis Scott - Astroworld
  • Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs
  • Playboi Carti - Die Lit
  • Mac Miller - Swimming
  • MGMT - Little Dark Age
  • Robyn - Honey
  • Szun Waves - New Hymn to Freedom
  • Pusha-T - Daytona
  • Bjorn Torske - Byen
  • AAL - 2012-2017
  • Let's Eat Grandma - I'm All Ears
  • US Girls - In a Poem Unlimited
  • Harunemuri - Harutosyura
HM
  • Tierra Whack - Whack World
  • Varg: Crush
  • Oneohtrix Point Never: Age Of
  • Yves Tumor - Safe in the Hands of Love
  • Lana Del Rabies - Shadow World
This shit was hard. Still, this is super tentative and things will get shuffled around.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Tentative AOTY list (top 15):
  • Denzel Curry - Ta1300
  • DJ Koze - Knock Knock ❤️
  • Travis Scott - Astroworld
  • Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs
  • Playboi Carti - Die Lit
  • Mac Miller - Swimming
  • MGMT - Little Dark Age
  • Robyn - Honey
  • Szun Waves - New Hymn to Freedom
  • Pusha-T - Daytona
  • Bjorn Torske - Byen
  • AAL - 2012-2017
  • Let's Eat Grandma - I'm All Ears
  • US Girls - In a Poem Unlimited
  • Harunemuri - Harutosyura
HM
  • Tierra Whack - Whack World
  • Varg: Crush
  • Oneohtrix Point Never: Age Of
  • Yves Tumor - Safe in the Hands of Love
  • Lana Del Rabies - Shadow World
This shit was hard. Still, this is super tentative and things will get shuffled around.

🙌🏾🙌🏾👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
not easy, but:

Top 10:

Nav - RECKLESS
Kyle - Light of Mine
Killy - Surrender Your Soul
SahBabii - Squidtastic
Trippie Redd - A Love Letter To You 3/Life's A Trip
Smino - NOIR
Saba - CARE FOR ME
Phonte - No News Is Good News
Black Milk - FEVER
Elzhi & Khrysis - Jericho Jackson

Honorable Mentions:

Don Toliver - Donny Womack
Kekra - Land
Michael Christmas - Role Model
Chefket - Alles Liebe (Nach dem Ende des Kampfes)
Jacquees - 4275
Vince Staples - FM!
Key! - 777
Masta Ace & Marco Polo - A Breukelen Story

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People who fuck with Kelela and Abra and that sorta stuff needs to check out the Tirzah album "Devotion." It's a little experimental and playful but it def gives me that 90's R&B vibe buried beneath all of the more modern noisy elements.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know that the Against All Logic was essentially a collection of songs from the last 5 years but that was also heavy rotation at the start of the year with DJ Koze and Jon Hopkins.

Status
Not open for further replies.