• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did he drop the n word
Yeah, they talk about it in the VICE documentary here.

In essence, the dude is saying that, because he grew up where he grew up, because of who he hung out with, and his being a Crip, he can say it. While it is a dubious argument, at the end of the day, as long as the dude is fine with the consequences, it's his choice.

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Yeah, they talk about it in the VICE documentary here.

In essence, the dude is saying that, because he grew up where he grew up, because of who he hung out with, and his being a Crip, he can say it. While it is a dubious argument, at the end of the day, as long as the dude is fine with the consequences, it's his choice.

Nothing to do with being a crip. Is all about his environment and the blacks and the browns he grew up with are his family. Just like in NYC you have Ricans, Dominicans and so on speaking a certain way. Same in Dallas and Miami. Is been like that since my Uncle days in the 60's. And the word became fam after Black Benji died. Ricans and blacks bonded hard after that. Pro and cons to the word. Basically, don't get offended if someone doesn't like your usage of the word. But don't be surprised if you are in THEIR area they speak like that. Rather people not use it all. I always been on my godbody shit. So I call my homies and homegirls "Gods and Earths" and the knuckleheads "Drillas" the haters "Pagans"

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
am i wrong to think no white dudes should ever get a pass? there's probably some Bronx albanian dudes who grew up getting hit with it who i'd still feel profoundly uncomfortable hearing the word from. i know he's from queens but even Action Bronson gave up on that fight pretty quickly

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Moonkid why haven't you been to South Island? I hope you've at least explored the north island!

Also, that fucking Freddie Gibbs tweet is gold

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
this Little Brother

1Cbi69u.gif

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
only know him from the interviews with a big German Rap site (they're in English if you wanna watch):

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moonkid why haven't you been to South Island? I hope you've at least explored the north island!

Also, that fucking Freddie Gibbs tweet is gold
Haha I thought I would have gone down by now but growing up we never did. At this point it's most likely gonna be a trip with friends or maybe a girl. North island I've done my fair bit of exploring, highlight this year is seeing a full moon next to one of the mountains in the central region during a sunset. Shit was like a painting.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Lmaooooooo @drake trolling joe buddens insta live asking him to play story of adidon to see how it "rings off" at his poolparty.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to a doom remix mixtape

hot tip, It is ok to mess with dooms tempo if it makes the song sound better instead of sounding poorly mixed

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Haha I thought I would have gone down by now but growing up we never did. At this point it's most likely gonna be a trip with friends or maybe a girl. North island I've done my fair bit of exploring, highlight this year is seeing a full moon next to one of the mountains in the central region during a sunset. Shit was like a painting.

Yeah I bet man. I literally have never been so excited for a trip. Shit has been a dream for me to visit. I'm only gonna be in Auckland for our lay over, so unfortunately no north island exploring. We were talking about maybe trying to visit the north island in like five years, but it's so expensive to visit from where I live and. 24+ hour trip.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I can't stop listening to Thug's "Surf"
It's just such a smooth wave to ride, good for many occasions . My main vibe this weekend was , "I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I recognize M̶i̶s̶s̶o̶u̶r̶a̶h̶ White Claw as an acceptable beverage." Wtf are people doing

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
torre you know everyone loves you here. why must you reward out adoration by giving us post malone updates? you know no one likes that shit, what next, you'll keep us abreast of when ill mind of hopsin 23 is dropping?

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sidenote: because it is apparently impossible for any trending topic on twitter to not get spammed by k-pop fans, i recently learned the term 'local', which i initially thought was kind of dismissive and semi-derogatory a la 'normie' or 'basic', but have since realized that it probably describes the feeling i get when i try to describe people who don't actually listen to rap but love Post, Eminem, Hopsin, Logic, Russ, J Cole, etc. 'local rap'. the Toxic Avenger versions of the 2002 backpack rap fan

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
torre you know everyone loves you here. why must you reward out adoration by giving us post malone updates? you know no one likes that shit, what next, you'll keep us abreast of when ill mind of hopsin 23 is dropping?
I'd like to think about this as the siren before the air raid comes.

This album will be running the pop charts for a year. Before you know it, there'll be one song off this that is everywhere. There'll probably be a Drake feature on this thing because we should only be so lucky.

Would you rather catch yourself humming along to a catchy tune before realizing said tune is a Post Malone track, or would you rather have advance knowledge and thus immunize yourself from being a part of the masses who enjoy the sing-songy not-raps of a man who looks like he should be chilling underneath your local bridge.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
first off, i'm old. the chances of me nodding to my head to any pop song are basically zero, but that's the besides the point - in 2019, when i hear something like a Taylor or CRJ single i'm down with on the radio, i'm almost guaranteed to hear a bunch of songs as good or even weirder as those singles on the album. not the case with post malone - he has modern Drake syndrome to the worst degree where he can get like two decent hooks down and pad out the rest of his project with absolutely disposable garbage.

second, i will absolutely bet against this album being sustainable for like a month and a half tops, if the single has drake on it, let alone a year. what!

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
first off, i'm old. the chances of me nodding to my head to any pop song are basically zero, but that's the besides the point - in 2019, when i hear something like a Taylor or CRJ single i'm down with on the radio, i'm almost guaranteed to hear a bunch of songs as good or even weirder as those singles on the album. not the case with post malone - he has modern Drake syndrome to the worst degree where he can get like two decent hooks down and pad out the rest of his project with absolutely disposable garbage.
You forget how big a thing Rockstar and Sunflower was, and "Goodbyes" is also getting a lot of radio play on pop stations. Quality has never really been a thing with the "big" pop albums in late 2010s.
second, i will absolutely bet against this album being sustainable for like a month and a half tops, if the single has drake on it, let alone a year. what!
Beerbongs and Bentleys was the third biggest album of 2018, second only to Drake and T-Swizz. It's been in the top 50 of Billboard's Hot 200 since its release in 2018. His singles "Wow" and "Goodbyes" have been basically been coming 2nd and 3rd due to the reign of Lil Nas and Billie Eilish, but still, these are impressive numbers.

Also, let me change my phrasing: his album is going to be a constant presence on the charts for at least the next year. In terms of pop radio play, you're probably going to see him everywhere for the next couple months. In terms of the zeitgeist, you're dead on, but in terms of commercial performance, his album will still be doing well in a year from now.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm positive you're correct in the broader sense in that i don't doubt he'll make scrooge mcduck cash again, but who cares? we're always talking 'zeitgeist' over sales here. no one in this topic will be talking about him two weeks after the album drops because he's ass. i almost put Sunflower in a parenthetical in that last comment, but tbh no one talked about Sunflower any more than they talked about No Type or Black Beatles or Powerglide. this is probably the most old mannish shit i've ever typed about rap but Post Malone is Everlast 2 if Everlast 2 was introduced to the world stage via youtube Minecraft parody songs instead of Cypress Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.