• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
sure, but cinema isn't an infinite resource. the more we feed into the perception that this is prestige cinema, the less discourse and budget is available is for actual creators like scorsese. could an auteur like scorsese even achieve the success that he did in today's cinema climate? im not so sure. and we're already seeing some of the effects of this, with television rapidly becoming an equally prominent medium for prestige projects and auteurs
That's exactly it though, modes of distribution are changing and the privileged and pretentious are getting their jimmies rustled over it, the others are embracing the change and using the myriad of new venues to distribute their work. There has never been more opportunities for success than today with the streaming wars going on, that's a fact. It's not that those creators don't have room anymore, there's more room for them to be economically empowered than there ever has been; it's as close to infinite as it's ever been, especially for original programming. Those auteurs are already here, there's just so much opportunity now that they aren't 3 of hundreds, but are maybe 50 of thousands of creators now. You just might not ever get a chance to experience all of their works now, whereas in a past time, you'd know because they'd be one of five getting stamped at the Academy Awards.

This is why I brought up those other filmmakers earlier. Most of them just can't get over the fact that people don't consume media in the way that they use to, even if their own projects like the Irishman take advantage of them. They, like every other person who grows older, get a little set in their ways and long for what things were like when they were younger. I empathize a bit with the perceived loss of the cinema-going experience, including very big issues like the pressure and strong-arming Disney puts on cinemas and of course the aforementioned monopolization. The issue is framing that as a flat loss instead of knocking on Netflix' door where most of those same consumers have moved anyways to go see Roma and the like.

There's a pretty good parallel here between the dominance of trap in the mainstream, and literally every other subgenre STILL having greater reach and exposure than ever before. Scorsese (sentiment, not talent-wise) is like those 00s NY rappers who are hooting and hollering that people don't fuck with real rap anymore.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Finna buy everyone a two piece meal with these reasonable thought out posts lacking in any sort of ageism or calling Marty "jealous" / " irrelevant"

Everyone DM me hurry

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sure, but cinema isn't an infinite resource. the more we feed into the perception that this is prestige cinema, the less discourse and budget is available is for actual creators like scorsese. could an auteur like scorsese even achieve the success that he did in today's cinema climate? im not so sure
My take on the current cinema environment is that, we're seeing the death of major studio-backed $80 mil.+ film and the move away from anything considered vaguely arthouse.

The public failures of "The Goldfinch" and "Ad Astra" basically mean we're not going to see anything like those come out of a big studio again. In many ways, this echoes Erlich's take on "Joker."
it's also the worst-case scenario for the rest of the film world, as it points towards a grim future in which the inmates have taken over the asylum, and even the most repulsive of mid-budget character studies can be massive hits (and Oscar contenders) so long as they're at least tangentially related to some popular intellectual property. The next "Lost in Translation" will be about Black Widow and Howard Stark spending a weekend together at a Sokovia hotel; the next "Carol" will be an achingly beautiful period drama about young Valkyrie falling in love with a blonde woman she meets in an Asgardian department store.
In other words, the success of "Joker" means more of these arthouse-commercial chimera: a vaguely arthouse-esque film that wants to explore "deep themes" but is hamstrung by the limits of IP holders/commercial success. That being said, since the play now seems to be "small independent film -> big-budget superhero film -> anything else", like with Chloe Zhao, Cate Shorland, Destin Daniel Cretton, etc., it means this genre will have people trying to push it away from "generic mass-market spectacle" in favor of "slightly unique mass-market spectacle."

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just tryna see some more good, inventive comedies come out, that's a genre that has suffered a lot since like the Epic Movie era.

What We Do In The Shadows and The Lobster are the two semi-recent ones I can say I enjoyed a trailer enough to check out (and then enjoy the movie proper). Before that.. I don't know.. Tropic Thunder? Recommend me good comedies brehs.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Blindspotting
Eighth Grade
Support The Girls
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Sisters Brothers
Game Night
Hunt For The Wilderpeople
20th Century Women
Toni Erdmann
The Nice Guys
Love & Friendship
Everybody Wants Some
Dope
Spy
Mistress America
22 Jump Street
Grand Budapest Hotel

Random assortment of comedies and comedy-adjacent stuff in the last 5 years that might or might not work for you idk.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
That's exactly it though, modes of distribution are changing and the privileged and pretentious are getting their jimmies rustled over it, the others are embracing the change and using the myriad of new venues to distribute their work. There has never been more opportunities for success than today with the streaming wars going on, that's a fact. It's not that those creators don't have room anymore, there's more room for them to be economically empowered than there ever has been; it's as close to infinite as it's ever been, especially for original programming. Those auteurs are already here, there's just so much opportunity now that they aren't 3 of hundreds, but are maybe 50 of thousands of creators now. You just might not ever get a chance to experience all of their works now, whereas in a past time, you'd know because they'd be one of five getting stamped at the Academy Awards.

This is why I brought up those other filmmakers earlier. Most of them just can't get over the fact that people don't consume media in the way that they use to, even if their own projects like the Irishman take advantage of them. They, like every other person who grows older, get a little set in their ways and long for what things were like when they were younger. I empathize a bit with the perceived loss of the cinema-going experience, including very big issues like the pressure and strong-arming Disney puts on cinemas and of course the aforementioned monopolization. The issue is framing that as a flat loss instead of knocking on Netflix' door where most of those same consumers have moved anyways to go see Roma and the like.

There's a pretty good parallel here between the dominance of trap in the mainstream, and literally every other subgenre STILL having greater reach and exposure than ever before. Scorsese (sentiment, not talent-wise) is like those 00s NY rappers who are hooting and hollering that people don't fuck with real rap anymore.

this is a pretty agreeable take - scorsese is unquestionably very old-fashioned when it comes to film and has a lot of "back in my day" tendencies (see: his top 12 films list) and if he had said something similar about any other other recent trend in cinema he'd be dead wrong. it's also why I don't agree with the notion that cinema is dead, with the artform being a lot more diverse both in terms of creators and distributor avenues - if you haven't liked anything from the past decade, you haven't looked hard enough, etc etc.

but this can all be true while superhero movies monopolize the discourse surrounding cinema. it reminds me of the other recent cinema discussion in here (lol) where someone pointed out that the advent of superhero movies being treated as critically acclaimed projects left less room for pop movies with more cinematic merit (probably not the best way to word it, but essentially the cinema of human beings that scorsese mentioned). like, what have we had this year that would fit such a bill? once upon a time in hollywood and us? there could be a bit of confirmation bias but that segment of popular cinema has been in decline, imo. of course there will always be good arthouse and independent cinema, but that's not what the monopolization of marvel is taking away from, mostly.

tl;dr silence (2016) is a masterpiece how did that shit bomb at the box office

I'm just tryna see some more good, inventive comedies come out, that's a genre that has suffered a lot since like the Epic Movie era.

What We Do In The Shadows and The Lobster are the two semi-recent ones I can say I enjoyed a trailer enough to check out (and then enjoy the movie proper). Before that.. I don't know.. Tropic Thunder? Recommend me good comedies brehs.

the beach bum is the funniest film ive seen all year

Demon Slayer the goat and better than both MCU and Scorsese.

Last edited:

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Stunned to see a reasonable discussion about Marvel movies on Era, this thread is an anomaly

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping is the best comedy in years

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn this thread really moves on Fridays, been working all day and missed the movie talk smh. Yall patting yourselves a bit too much on the back though lol. All the best for your sitch by the way Des, Kia kaha.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
WCrjx2j.gif

I'M ALERT
MAC 11 WIT THE SCHMECKLE....
SPECIAL....
MY ACUMEN WAS UPSETTIN TO THE DEVILS
TWIST YOU LIKE AN EGG TIMER
WHAT'S THE DEAL?
HOP OUT THE ROGUE YOU WON'T BE SIGNIN NO LABEL DEALS

no label deals.....
LOSE YOU LIKE A TENNIS SHORE ENDORSEMENT....
PORPOISE
YOU NIGGAS SEACOWS, YOU DON'T DO HORSESHIT

collige

Oct 31, 2017

Four Lions. It's basically What We Do In The Shadows except the main characters are suicide bombers instead of vampires.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations, y'all. Ima get on 'em.

Press run going on for this right now, and I think ima check it out TBH. Hosts are charismatic enough and seems like a good selection of guest judges too.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
torre_avenue

What's the vibes on the new Chromatics?
I think it's good. It's not as polished or as complete a package as "Night Drive" or "Kill for Love", but i think that's it is the "Thank Your Lucky Stars" to DT's "Depression Cherry": not a companion album but more like a collection of songs from the DT sessions that are good if not completely cohesive as a package.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i went on a large kanye binge over the past few days, some of the albums i heard for the first time; opinions are as follows

My Big Fat Greek Fantasy >>> Yeezus >> Graduation > Watch the Throne >> 808s and Heartbreak > The College Dropout > Late Registration >>> Ye > The Life of Pablo >> Kids See Ghosts

Big Ol' Fantasy is like a mid 9 album; Yeezus, Graduation and Watch the Throne are like upper 8 albums; 808s, College and Registration are Mid 8 albums; Ye and The Life of Pablo are like Upper 7s or Borderline 8 albums; Ghosts is like a Mid 7 album

i came away mostly just feeling sad about how he refuses to take his meds

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I agree that KSG is mediocre, but Ye is...very bad at times. Pablo at least has some good pop hits to salvage the record.[\cross]

I just prefer albums that aren't like 70 minutes long, especially when like at least half of it is only mediocre to okay. that makes Pablo a very poor listening experience to me, despite absolutely loving like 4 songs

ye has like maybe 1 or 2 songs i really like but its so short that the listening experience is actually kinda nice (despite the toxic lyrics)

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Life of Pablo is great as a compilation album, but gets knocked down if you try to judge it as being something cohesive and a consolidated project as you would expect a solo Ye album to be. It's closer to Cruel Summer than any of those.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Life of Pablo is great as a compilation album, but gets knocked down if you try to judge it as being something cohesive and a consolidated project as you would expect a solo Ye album to be. It's closer to Cruel Summer than any of those.

is pablo actually considered a compilation album by a large amount of people or is that just like the only way that album can be considered successful

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
his first three albums used to nonplus me, but after repeated listens are near perfect, absolutely engaging experiences. you're in for a wild ride, bucko.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Two of the best media-related decisions I've made in the past decade were quitting PC gaming and quitting Kanye. I could never go back.

New Danny Brown sounds so much like his earliest material, at least how I remember it, but with a whole lot of added maturity and polish.

My only complaint three listens in is I want more of it. I like shorter albums but this flies by a bit too quick and Combat isn't as strong a closer as he usually provides.

Still what a fucking run from XXX to now. Four album ass albums with their own sound and theme. Danny's a GOAT, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.