• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have some fair points. But I also think some of these factors can add to the "aeshetic" and "vibe" of the music.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
There is a scary amount of people who think Eminem is still good.
Noticed the same thing with people I've interacted with IRL.

Eminem barely has two good albums, he has eight other albums that you could never catch me listening to in any context. All of his albums are 80 minutes long, filled with stupid, corny skits, his songs are too long and his beat choices age like milk. He's the best rapper with the worst music, you would never catch me listening to an 80 minute long Eminem album, it doesn't matter what album it is. You will not catch me listening to Eminem rap over 20 year old ancient Dr. Dre beats.

EDIT: Super relevant

Last edited:

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You have some fair points. But I also think some of these factors can add to the "aeshetic" and "vibe" of the music.
I can see that to some extent. I love Mista Thug Isolation even if the sound quality is poor, but it adds to the whole vibe of the record. It sounds like a cassette rip of some 20 year old album that was recently discovered or something. Then again; there are enough Baile Funk tracks that have great sounding vocals and are well mixed, so I don't think there's an excuse to have it sound that bad. Especially when you get millions of views on your videos.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just saw the thread

what the fuck is wrong with people here
A frightening amount of folks believed that Eminem either never fell off or insisted that "Kamikaze" redeemed him.

Also, the answer was always Kanye, but Eminem is definitely second place if we were to rank all the rappers that fell off during this decade.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mfs calling you an eminem hater in that thread too LMFAOOOOOOOOOOO
I mean, it isn't untrue. But, I did listen to Kamikaze, and I think I listened to "Revival" though I may have blacked out that experience. I'm more disappointed in Em than a hater. "Recovery" was one of the first albums I ever listened to.

Also, very convinced that most Eminem fans think hip-hop is divided into "similar to Eminem" and "MuMbLe RaP".

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
there are grown people on this site who fight about console exclusives, defend their favourite mass market capitalist action figure films from light criticism, and stan marshall mathers in 2019

I mean, it isn't untrue. But, I did listen to Kamikaze, and I think I listened to "Revival" though I may have blacked out that experience. I'm more disappointed in Em than a hater. "Recovery" was one of the first albums I ever listened to.

Also, very convinced that most Eminem fans think hip-hop is divided into "similar to Eminem" and "MuMbLe RaP".

lowkey MMLP2 is an okay album

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
The appeal of Baile Funk is lost on me. We've had a lot of Baile Funk inspired music on the Dutch charts the last couple of years, especially productions from guys like Jack Shirak and Yung Felix, but at least those tracks sound good and are usually pretty well produced. Most Baile Funk I've heard just sounds... bad... The sound quality of the vocals is terrible and the mixing most of the time sounds awful, with percussion clipping through the roof. I just don't understand it. I remember listening to MC Fioti (posted above) a couple years back and just not getting why his shit sounds so bad. Last night because of this thread I checked out some of his recent music and I stumbled upon this gem, uploaded 1 week ago:

This dude is in Dubai, riding in a very expensive car, posing at a very expensive house, probably all rentals, but that doesn't matter since this video still cost them thousands of dollars to shoot. But the quality of the audio is just atrocious. They can spend 10k-20k+ on a music video but can't give this kid $1500 to get a Neumann mic to improve his vocals? The worst is when you listen to a track with 3 different artist, who clearly all recorded their verses on their own shitty toy store mic in stead of in the same studio. I don't understand how, as an artists, it's acceptable to you to release your music in such a bad state. Isn't music something you invest a lot of love and care in? Something that means a lot to you?

Same with the Drake track. Drake's vocals actually sound well mixed, but the rest of the song is just grating on the ears. I just don't understand it... What am I missing here?

that raw DIY-ness in mixing obviously is part of the aesthetics too. you sound like you never listened to soundcloud rappers with heavily distorted or badly-mixed 808s/drums/vocals in the last years, lol. one thing that does annoy me in some newer baile songs are the super loud, clipping snares tho, like in the song with Drake, which feels like a deliberate choice - i heard the same kinda snare in another song recently.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
like i said in the thread, there's not much of a legacy to ruin since Eminem has one good album, and even that's debatable. the whole tragedy of Eminem is that he's one of the most talented rappers of all time who obstinately refused to not hamstring his material with puerile gags, terrible production, and stupid accents. to his credit, he has a lot of examples of bad songs that are interesting ideas executed poorly, which makes those post MMLP, pre-comeback albums all the more bittersweet when he doesn't stick the landing

i wouldn't even characterize myself as a 'hater' so much as someone who's genuinely disappointed we never got something from him that truly realized his potential. it seems like in the first half of his career he was too fucked up to get the pieces to fit, and old man Em just doesn't have the desire to do anything beyond rappitty rap rap rapping anymore

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
that raw DIY-ness in mixing obviously is part of the aesthetics too. you sound like you never listened to soundcloud rappers with heavily distorted or badly-mixed 808s/drums/vocals in the last years, lol. one thing that does annoy me in some newer baile songs are the super loud, clipping snares tho, like in the song with Drake, which feels like a deliberate choice - i heard the same kinda snare in another song recently.
Haha of course I know that Soundcloud rapper stuff, but I usually disregard that because most of them are small and are just fucking around with music until they blow up. When an artist gets big and gets signed and shit to me there's no excuse to have your music sound like trash imo. And maybe it's part of the aesthetic, but then it's just not for me because it annoys me to no end haha.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018

West Coast people, presale tomorrow unless you're doing SF or have an Amex card. General tomorrow. Get 'em before they quadruple in price on resell markets

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
i wouldn't even characterize myself as a 'hater' so much as someone who's genuinely disappointed we never got something from him that truly realized his potential.
It's easy to be called a hater of an artist where there isn't much to like besides a guest verse on an old Jay Z album.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
"im not paying someone $2000 a song to make my shit sound like ass. I'll make my shit sound like ass for free" 😂

asSuslI.png

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
like i said in the thread, there's not much of a legacy to ruin since Eminem has one good album, and even that's debatable. the whole tragedy of Eminem is that he's one of the most talented rappers of all time who obstinately refused to not hamstring his material with puerile gags, terrible production, and stupid accents. to his credit, he has a lot of examples of bad songs that are interesting ideas executed poorly, which makes those post MMLP, pre-comeback albums all the more bittersweet when he doesn't stick the landing

i wouldn't even characterize myself as a 'hater' so much as someone who's genuinely disappointed we never got something from him that truly realized his potential. it seems like in the first half of his career he was too fucked up to get the pieces to fit, and old man Em just doesn't have the desire to do anything beyond rappitty rap rap rapping anymore

I'm genuinely curious to know what you feel was Em's potential. His 2001-2003 work is about as good as he was ever going to get. Stimulate, Till I Collapse, Lose Yourself, Say Goodbye Hollywood, Run Rabbit Run, The Sauce, Nail In The Coffin, Patiently Waiting, etc. He got to a place beyond all the MMLP stuff that aged like milk with his writing, delivery, songmaking, and flow. The Eminem Show era is his peak if you're looking for his timeless, serious work. Nothing before or since has shown an artist capable of more than that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kenny Beats and 03 Greedo announce "Netflix and Deal"

The 13-track release was recorded before Greedo entered jail on a 20-year term, and features appearances from Vince Staples, Maxo Kream, Freddie Gibbs, Buddy, and Key!.

Due on November 22, Netflix and Deal is Greedo's third release of 2019 following Still Summer In The Projects, produced by Mustard, and his Travis Barker-collaboration Meet The Drummers.

edit: Alternate link for those who dont want to give TheFader any clicks.

01 Traffic
02 Paid in Full
03 Disco Shit [ft. Freddie Gibbs]
04 Maria
05 Blue People [ft. Vince Staples]
06 Beg Your Pardon [ft. Maxo Kream]
07 Honey I Shrunk the Kids
08 Brad Pitt
09 Aye Twin [ft KEY!]
10 Life
11 Payback [ft. Ohgeesy]
12 Soulfood [ft. Buddy]
13 Dead Presidents

Last edited:

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't even understand how you can even listen to Em in 2019. It's like boomers who still only listen to Ac/Dc and say rock today sucks. (It's not the genre that sucks, it's you).

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely curious to know what you feel was Em's potential. His 2001-2003 work is about as good as he was ever going to get. Stimulate, Till I Collapse, Lose Yourself, Say Goodbye Hollywood, Run Rabbit Run, The Sauce, Nail In The Coffin, Patiently Waiting, etc. He got to a place beyond all the MMLP stuff that aged like milk with his writing, delivery, songmaking, and flow. The Eminem Show era is his peak if you're looking for his timeless, serious work. Nothing before or since has shown an artist capable of more than that.
literally making a listenable album that doesn't have dumb circus goofball shit lol. you're right that Eminem Show is probably closest to that in hindsight lyrically, but it's also when he decided he could produce, which was pretty much the nail in the coffin for that era.

i was thinking about it earlier today and i guess in a weird way 2001 was kind of that realization. obviously he's not the leading hand there but his contributions both feature and writing wise are pretty unassailable, not to mention bringing in Royce

Status
Not open for further replies.