• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I mean.. expecting growth is pretty normal, they didn't hit their growth target. This is all public info because they are publicly traded; not sure why that fact is so meaningful.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i dunno man. if you don't hit that target and that miss results in you having to lay off almost a tenth of your company, maybe that target wasn't realistic?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
BTW HiResDes this TDot Illdude is awesome, glad I caught your rec posted here.

cGbvp7A.png

Spotify

Soundcloud

Apple Music

Why do I feel like this (why)
Why do I feel like this (wha!)
Ni**as hatin' on me and I like it (yeah yeah)
Why do I feel like this (yeah yeah yah!)
Shorty push up on me and I like it (like)
You got confidence and I like it (like!)
You get compliments and I like it (I LIKE)
You a bad bitch on some fly shit (U FLY)
Shorty read my mind like a psychic (yeah)
She gave it to me just how I like it (ye ye ye yeah!)

(my transcription, can't find official lyrics)

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean.. expecting growth is pretty normal, they didn't hit their growth target. This is all public info because they are publicly traded; not sure why that fact is so meaningful.
There's two ways to look at it.

To someone who doesn't know much about finance, the numbers themselves don't make sense. 800 people fired and yet the CFO gets $15 million? I see the cause and I see the effect, therefore this must be linked. And while that skips a few steps, it is unjust that Activision gets to fire 800 people out of the blue and effectively leave them stranded for the future. If most of the people fired are support and management, the situation is even more dire since I'm sure a lot of those people need the paycheck to afford rent in Orange County. Couple that with the way most game developers get treated like absolute shit during crunch and the even worse treatment of support staff, and you get a clear-cut image of the key failing of late-stage capitalism: modern companies exploit and abuse people who are in the lower financial strata. It's morally unjust to do what Activision did and leave hundreds of people in the lurch, not to mention their families and their other obligations.

To someone who does know a bit of finance, the situation is the result of corporate mismanagement. Let's first be clear, Activision gave Blizzard enough rope to hang itself. There is no game development studio in the 2010s that has gotten as much leeway as modern Blizzard. In the span of time it took to develop "Overwatch", the "Uncharted" series has begun and ended. "Mass Effect" had begun and ended, (excl. "Andromeda"). Blizzard had THREE consecutive games with 9+ year development cycles in an era where game dev costs have soared. So, this has been a long time coming for Blizz. But, if it weren't for Activision-Blizzard's insistence on following the CoD model along with other trends for their games, they wouldn't have undercut "Destiny." They wouldn't have bought King for ~$6 billion. They wouldn't have put all their eggs into CoD, and made that the cornerstone to its financial success. "Call of Duty" keeps the lights on at Activision, and its damning that Activision has no other IP to fall back on if, say, "Call of Duty" played second-fiddle to a cartoon Battle Royale game. If their corporate management were smart, they'd have reinvested that money into new IP that wasn't just "popular game but different". They wouldn't have oversaturated the Toys to Life market and given up all their licenses. In short, corporate management has steadily been fucking up since "CoD" became a blockbuster and the people who fucked up will get golden parachutes.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I was really only addressing the Call of Duty tweet; it's hot take "gotcha" is that they "didn't meet expectations" despite selling more than the last game. It's hardly meaningful, and isn't really related to layoffs.. since they announed plans to increase dev effort by 20% across CoD and a few other franchises.

Not really desiring to go into the overall story; people aren't exactly reading the details or being rational though.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you have to like, read, more than twitter Hot Takes. (it's in every single actual article on the topic)
lol i read the topics and the closest i could find was a "20% increase in development resources." is there something more specific to CoD hirings or have you chewed one too many buttons

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
lol i read the topics and the closest i could find was a "20% increase in development resources." is there something more specific to CoD hirings or have you chewed one too many buttons
Their PR says it's for several games combined including CoD, saw the same number attributed to CoD alone in a couple of articles, but could be more or less for that specific title.

In 2019, the company will increase development investment in its biggest franchises, enabling teams to accelerate the pace and quality of content for their communities and supporting a number of new product initiatives. The number of developers working on Call of Duty, CandyCrush, Overwatch, Warcraft®, Hearthstone and Diablo® in aggregate will increase approximately 20% over the course of 2019. The company will fund this greater investment by de-prioritizing initiatives that are not meeting expectations and reducing certain non-development and administrative-related costs across the business.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cuz you were a condescending prick and also wrong lol

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
cuz you were a condescending prick and also wrong lol
I wasn't wrong; after googling I found better info than I read before and posted it.

Pretty much every article on this topic mentions the team growth, which was the point, not the number. Either way that hot take is dumb for multiple reasons. Why you are name calling over this is beyond me, is that your tweet or something?

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That new Diplo x Octavian someone posted a few days back is nice. For the people into electronic music and lo-fi house, Ross from Friends remixed one of Octavian's tracks and put a nice lo-fi liquid drum n bass spin on it:

Looks like Nas is the executive producer of the Bollywood Hip-Hop Drama "Gully."

He sounds so good over this. I was afraid it was an old verse, but the Stan Lee reference means it's brand new. I need more.
Damn, no way. Have no idea what being executive producer even means these days. I feel sometimes names gets slapped wioth the executive producer title so drive hype but they didnt really actually do much. I've seen the trailer for Gully on TV while my mum was watching South Asian channels. Looked decent.

Last edited:

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thank you kanye, very cool!
he's stuck in OVO sweatshop purgatory. you just hate to see it.
somewhere in Toronto, PND is on one of five treadmills in a basement connected to the power supply in Drake's mansion, exchanging worried, knowing glances with Majid Jodan and dvsn while 40 drags a sixth one down the stairs for Popcaan

Last edited:

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
spotify presale for JID is up: eastatlantaplayboy

Edit: fuck Ticketmaster for their $17 fee

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Rashad has a couple projects in the vault, that TDE just won't release due to timing.

Q's up next, so I'd guess no new Rashad till the Fall.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I have had the two track EP with Rest/Just One Thing on repeat for a week+, it's really fucking good. Need to get on the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.