• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
THIS AIN'T SAD RAP HOURS. IT'S THE PURE BOPS POWER HOUR.

You keep on takin' from me
But where's my 10%?
I wonder where you went?
But where's my 10%?

e88f43f91764b75f4f64ebb8ce3e760b.gif

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I have a really hard time understanding how anyone listens to Sharon Van Etten's album and doesn't come away thinking Jupiter 4 is one of the best songs of that album.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also seriously anyone ITT who votes lib-dem should be banned or at least tarred and featherd

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh been relistening to juice world's stuff and now it feels even more unreal now. So many of his songs sound so much more like a cry for help in hindsight.

RIP man. To me he's definitely the most talented out of the emo rap wave, but that talent might be too heavy of a price to pay.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
He had such a dope voice

Put away my problems
I don't sell drugs I cop them
I been living life all wrong
I ain't livin right

😢

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Also as corny as how most of them can be I really like him as a lyricist. There's just something about corny emo shit that gets me.

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
I've been following Lupe Fiasco's twitter for a while, and I find it wild how often he replies to people on there.

Just last weekend, his timeline went from him talking about college fees to him talking about what African culture and being a weeb mean to him. As you'd expect from the man himself, he's got a lot of hot takes, like below:

Kinda wish more people had their eyeballs on Lupe's posts. I'm sure he'd love the extra reactions, either with him or against.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That vinyl-set Youtube-channel someone linked previously is so ridiculously good. Vibing to this all day:

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh been relistening to juice world's stuff and now it feels even more unreal now. So many of his songs sound so much more like a cry for help in hindsight.

RIP man. To me he's definitely the most talented out of the emo rap wave, but that talent might be too heavy of a price to pay.
I thought Peep had more range but I liked Juice a bunch as well.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every cover artist uses that vinyl wrap texture lol. It's the Comic Sans MS of textures. It's great.

if you go into the replies other people point this out, and he also points out that it's a very specific edit of that texture that's unique to his cover. that's what makes this cool, someone went to a painstaking effort to use that specific version instead of using the go-to version that gets slapped on everything, the inference is that it's intentional. it's like a graphic design version of sampling

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

if you go into the replies other people point this out, and he also points out that it's a very specific edit of that texture that's unique to his cover. that's what makes this cool, someone went to a painstaking effort to use that specific version instead of using the go-to version that gets slapped on everything, the inference is that it's intentional. it's like a graphic design version of sampling

Yeah I just compared it to the one I have on my laptop and it's indeed different, while the Kaytranada one is exactly the same. It's fairly simple to 'sample' that one with the Levels option in PS and Blend if/Underlying Layer in the Layer Style Settings, since the original has a grey, almost solid background. I love it.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
NGL I have found the majority of rap music released this year to be very underwhelming. Outside of Denzel Curry, very little has stuck with me throughout the year. Even Bandana fell by the wayside. I hope 2020 is better.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Ed Sheeran had more good rap tracks on his album this year than most rap releases, and that says it all. I'm struggling to think of 10 albums I liked overall this year. It really is just Megan Thee Stallion and BROCKHAMPTON that dropped all-around great projects to me. Still don't know how I feel about Lost Tapes 2 and I think I might like Rap or Go to the League more if I revisit it, but the list would be a struggle regardless.

It wasn't all terrible because almost all of the mediocre albums had great singles or exceptional songs on them (Rap or Go to the League/Death Race for Love/FATHER OF 4/The Wizrd/Ramreaper/Diaspora/K.R.I.T. IZ HERE/uknowwhatimsayin?/JESUS IS KING). Like, I didn't really care for FATHER OF 4 overall, but you'd be tripping if you didn't think Lick and Came A Long Way are amongst the best tracks of the year and almost make the project worth it by themselves.

But if I'm thinking of all-around good albums, this ain't the year. No contest one of the worst years for rap since 2012 or 2014. That said, I didn't listen to Bandana because I haven't really enjoyed what I've heard from him in the past, but might be forced to give the Madlib projects a shot this drought. And maybe the Dave, which I've been meaning to get to.

It's been decent for R&B/poppy/more melodic rap-adjacent stuff though. Assume Form was good (Mile High whew), I discovered Jai Paul which is great, the Bon Iver album has some of the most spiritually moving songs I've heard in a minute, the Snoh Aalegra album might be safe but the execution is damn near perfect for that style of R&B, and I can't stop listening to the different vibes on this Tinashe which is slowly climbing up my rankings for her projects.

I feel like I'm just old now and not discovering or caring for new artists. Even when the production is good (which is what I care about most), artists like Trippie, A Boogie, all of Dreamville, etc. don't really have enough of an it factor or consistency to stick for me.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
these literal stans clinging to the idea that Eminem is at all relevant to modern rap, not sure if i'm amused or depressed. Russ sells a shitload of records, doesn't mean any in rap actually gives a fuck about him

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno.. I kind of feel the weekend doing this fear and loathing/hunter s. Thompson shtick feels hollow and contrived. Not original at all and really doubt the guy is taking beans that make his stummy hurt anymore. Now I'm not saying a song had to factual, but I don't feel it as much from him anymore. He was playing house husband to a Disney star.

Also torre, that Vegyn album is nice. I listen to Benji B weekly show on BBC radio 1 and he had him as a guest couple weeks back. Love the organic feel of the album. "Debold" hits me differently.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this so hard. Why did Nedarb give this fire beat to Zack.

Ayy, remember when Janet Jackson had her titty out (Wow)
Ayy, remember when Rihanna had her titty out (Wow)
Free the nipple man, Jordan Peele, get it out (Yup)

Also torre, that Vegyn album is nice. I listen to Benji B weekly show on BBC radio 1 and he had him as a guest couple weeks back. Love the organic feel of the album. "Debold" hits me differently.
I love Blue Reprise and Its Nice to Be Alive.

It, in some ways, reminds me "Cosmogramma" or "Until the Quiet Comes" because the sonic palette of ODCD is really unique. I don't know how the hell Vegyn came up with his synths but they sound so distinct.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno.. I kind of feel the weekend doing this fear and loathing/hunter s. Thompson shtick feels hollow and contrived. Not original at all and really doubt the guy is taking beans that make his stummy hurt anymore. Now I'm not saying a song had to factual, but I don't feel it as much from him anymore. He was playing house husband to a Disney star.
That's kind of always been his brand of music though? Self-loathing, drug abusing, womanizing playboy slash loner. At least content-wise, it's pretty much the same Weeknd we all know and love, but poppier than the Trilogy days and with a wash of glamour on top of it.

Kind of like it in the context of the video where it feels like more of a character than, say, his more direct experiences on My Dear Melancholy. I understand how this (or post-Kissland albums) can feel a little emotionally removed relative to his darker R&B stuff (which I personally like better), but I welcome it nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.