• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the funny thing about the higher brothers is that they way they imitate trap style is nigh incompatible with how chinese is enunciated lol.

Like the fat dude can actually be understood mostly because he's more the shouty hype dude and I catch snippets from time to time of the others but when they go that fast triplet style it's just not how chinese is enunciated.

Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
New gunna is OK. Some of the beats are so bad.

Offset is surprisingly decent but another case of just being too many fucking songs .

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Gambino's new album is likely titled "Guava."

D0H2gQCXgAArCGr.png:large

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Lord have mercy, Lick off this new Offset is such an incredible fit for his style. Flow like wine. Got that rare quality of making me hit repeat after first listen instead of just listening through the album sequentially.

(Hey) I took a couple of my dawgs on a lick
Do or die, gotta survive, pay the rent (Survive)
I was so broke that I could cry, I was sick (Broke)
Born in the wild, so many trials, I ain't quit
All the people I robbed, I brought 'em down, I repent (Down)
Dirtied the money, I let it drown, watch it cleanse (Cleanse)
Sellin' these pounds, a hundred times I jumped the fence (12)
Breakin' it down, I made a pound turn to ten (Ten)
Them hunnids ain't found, they in the ground, don't get spent

200.gif

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like Gambino's new album is likely titled "Guava."

D0H2gQCXgAArCGr.png:large
I'm the prince, put your crown on the ground
Oh, Oh-oh, Oh-oh, Oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh, Oh-oh, Oh-oh, Oh-oh

SICK

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao @ "i don't know Tree" on that DEHH video. poor Tree, he completely pre-empted Chance by like a decade and is now relegated to features on albums made to spin pottery to. dayum. one of the better rappers to be shuffled off to the side in recent years. i miss him and Exquire

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
they're very conveniently vocal proponents of the one China policy while being the only export of Chinese hip-hop after China banned hip-hop. weird coincidence, i know.

Are they actually vocal proponents of that? I can't find anything about that googling it.

They don't even really rap anything political which is the more disappointing part.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they actually vocal proponents of that? I can't find anything about that googling it.

They don't even really rap anything political which is the more disappointing part.
'vocal proponents' is too far, but i'm suspect of any group who's survived a ban on the genre they're performing in while promoting the main social media outlet their government hasn't banned.

honestly who knows, maybe this has nothing to do with that, and i'm just being a racist idiot based on preconceived notions. i have a deep paranoia when it comes to considering the motivations of art tbh

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
'vocal proponents' is too far, but i'm suspect of any group who's survived a ban on the genre they're performing in while promoting the main social media outlet their government hasn't banned.

honestly who knows, maybe this has nothing to do with that, and i'm just being a racist idiot based on preconceived notions. i have a deep paranoia when it comes to considering the motivations of art tbh

I mean not being political while making rap music in China is pretty political in itself, but who knows if it's just their way of skirting around censors.

I mean I can tell you that they have a bunch of China-isms that is just going to clash with western values, especially hip hop culture. They're more individualistic than most Chinese artists I've heard, but hip hop to me is about hyper indivualism, and the higher brothers still have that Chinese collectivist mentality going throughout some of their stuff. And a pride of that collectivist culture that isn't in a for the culture sort of way. I dunno, it's hard for me to describe really. I don't think they're super sus but they aren't really that deep either, which is probably why they still aren't censored. They just aren't shy about being Chinese which is also cool I guess?

I shouldn't just say collectivist is just China-isms though, that shit is prevalent throughout most east Asian cultures. Blame Confucius I guess lol.

Last edited:

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're more individualistic than most Chinese artists I've heard, but hip hop to me is about hyper indivualism, and the higher brothers still have that Chinese collectivist mentality going throughout some of their stuff. And a pride of that collectivist culture that isn't in a for the culture sort of way.

i think that is ultimately what kind of trips the switch to me; i'm extremely used to rap being a very individualist genre - even the rap collectives i've kinda gotten excited about in the last decade have splintered into unrecognizability at this point. that said, i'm used to consuming rap under a fairly specific filter, and while i try to be aware of the broader cultural impact of the shit i'm consuming, i definitely have blindspots. i'll give it another listen sometime this week without my 'everything is an op' filter on

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I want to listen to trap music I can't understand a lick of when I can listen to nonsensical trap made in my first language

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I want to listen to trap music I can't understand a lick of when I can listen to nonsensical trap made in my first language
huh? that's exactly why you can listen to trap in different languages easily since, as you said yourself, it's mostly nonsensical lyrical. it's only about the vibe. don't tell me you ignored dope French shit like Hamza and Kekra all these years?? :O

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's inherently funny to hear Chinese rappers rap about lean and pateks.

I believe them on their pateks though, if there's one thing hip hop and Chinese culture share it's their love of flexing.

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I was being facetious, smh. But no I haven't ignored French, German or other trap... I just don't give a damn about it. The fact that nobody recognized that statement as a joke is more concerning

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
btw is DJ Quik the most underrated producer of all time? he's clearly the most consistent G-Funk producer ever. he was passing Dr Dre drum hits at least as long as Dre was producing for G-Unit.
Dollaz and Sense

is a top 3 diss track of all time for "you left out the g cuz the g ain't in you" alone, nevermind the five minutes of evisceration surrounding it.
Quik Is the Name, Safe + Sound, and Rythmalism are all classics

changemymind.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Childish Gambino is a bad hip hop artist
But he's a decent pop artist.
The Oscars are my Super Bowl
The Oscars are fucking boring. Just a show for old rich people talking about shit no one seen
Both of these statements are true. I love the Oscars, but man do they suck. My friends and I bet on who will win every category, and its always fun to see what "cause" the Oscars care most about now. This year, with Best Picture, do Academy voters hate Netflix more than they do racism? Do they give Glenn Close an award for a film no one saw as compared to the sublime Olivia Colman? For documentary short film, do they care about women's health more than they do parallels to modern America? It's a fun game to guess the psychology of old white folks and see what injustice they commit this year.

IIRC, the "ban" was less a ban on hip-hop and more a ban on hip-hop appearing on TV and the web. The art itself isn't banned, but China didn't like a large amount of people listening to disadvantaged people talking about the failures of Chinese society and, by extension, the government. Higher Brothers likely escaped that ban because 1) their music doesn't talk about that at all and 2) they're relatively big in America and (I'd guess) in China too, so you can't fuck with them. It's why they banned the TV show about hip-hop and not the guy that created it, Kris Wu. If I had to guess what they're thinking, the CCP doesn't want true hip-hop, it wants the Post Malones, the G-Eazys, the Rich Brians. People that use hip-hop to talk about anything other than social issues. That is, of course, till the CCP realizes hip-hop espouses positive views on drugs, sex, and anti-familial sentiments and then it'll be banned.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
This Offset has several incredible jams (with absolutely top notch production), but put close to each other in the same album makes you motivated to just roll your eyes and stop caring halfway through. The monotony or downsides of using autotune on every sort of delivery are really apparent here.

Still though, Lick, Quarter Milli, and Came A Long Way (and a few others like Legacy, to a lesser degree) are like peak Offset on beats he just sounds made for.

Status
Not open for further replies.