• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I understand people that dont like certain music but flat out saying this album is bad is incorrect. Be better at critiquing.
Donald Glover gets more vitriolic critique due to a small array of outside sources of disgust, probably him being known as an actor first and being well known for his polarizing raps 10 years ago. Fact of the matter is that when he's singing people are less critical of his work. The moment he starts to rap I think a lot of people can't move past Camp or how he used to rap, otherwise I don't really get the negative critique outside of maybe This is America having an over-inflated importance tied to it.
still laughing at the 'THIS is what kanye wished he was!!!' takes from blue checks on twitter after this is america dropped lmao
Everything Gambino has done musically has been an offshoot of what Kanye has done already besides the Soul and Funk stuff, but that's not taking anything away from him you can put people like Tyler or Kid Cudi in that category too.

Last edited:

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Everything Gambino has done musically has been an offshoot of what Kanye has done already, but that's not taking anything away from him you can put people like Tyler or Kid Cudi in that category too.

yeah for sure but imo tyler and cudi have dropped numerous projects better than bino's stuff. that's just my take tho

Donald Glover gets more vitriolic critique due to a small array of outside sources of disgust, probably him being known as an actor first and being well known for his polarizing raps 10 years ago. Fact of the matter is that when he's singing people are less critical of his work. The moment he starts to rap I think a lot of people can't move past Camp or how he used to rap, otherwise I don't really get the negative critique outside of maybe This is America has an over-inflated importance tied to it.

i think camp sucks but because the internet is alright, that kauai EP was fun, and he's got some good features

besides, the new album doesn't feature a ton of rap i suppose. it's not great when it does pop up but there's other problems

on my third listen of this and it is growing a little bit but i'm still polarized

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to clown but saying you didn't know how melodic Bone Thugs n HARMONY could be is like saying you didn't know Busta Rhymes could bust fast rhymes.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I peeped Children of the Sea last year at the film fest but wasn't too impressed outside of the visuals and music, now I'm curious what about it resonated with you? peyrin I wanted to like it but the story left me feeling kinda indifferent.

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I like how different his list is but a few of those didn't hit me at all, especially Beach Bum and I love Harmony K

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
still bummed that the yves tumour / ecco2k show i waited months for ended up being cancelled by the rona.

anyway, enjoy the new RTJ. appreciate that el-p is finally evolving his sound a bit, i like how this feels earthier and more analogue. still feel as though his flow peaked at RTJ 2, and has become steadily less elastic and more stilted ever since. can't really hate on the man that brought us the cold vein though, and killer mike sounding as good as always.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
still bummed that the yves tumour / ecco2k show i waited months for ended up being cancelled by the rona.

anyway, enjoy the new RTJ. appreciate that el-p is finally evolving his sound a bit, i like how this feels earthier and more analogue. still feel as though his flow peaked at RTJ 2, and has become steadily less elastic and more stilted ever since. can't really hate on the man that brought us the cold vein though, and killer mike sounding as good as always.

El-P was best (rap wise)on ISWYD, imo

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Upon first listen, i don't know what to make of the new Gambino album. The easy comparison to make is that this project is the "Endless" to his forthcoming "Blonde". It does appear to be an album full of unfinished ideas (as evidenced by the track titles) that was dropped unceremoniously onto the Web. Where the comparison loses me is in the quality of the album's tracks. Even though "Endless" is widely considered to be the B-sides due to how it was released, it is still a complete album where each track shines on its own and as a part of the broader album. This Gambino project, on the other hand, does not feel as consistent or as polished. It almost feels as if tracks were brought together from various iterations of the final album and then retrofitted to form this project. There's clearly some tracks here from the Coachella/stadium tour version of the album (Algorhythm), stuff from what I can only presume is the Guava Island-era version of the album (Feels Like Summer, some of the tracks with the more tribal drums), and stuff from the latest version of the album after his father passed away. It just isn't meshing for me. Some tracks also feel too long (Time, Vibrate). All in all, I have to relisten to it to let some elements sink in and to pinpoint what's not working for me.
Hopefully, they reschedule it so I can actually attend it! Honestly, stop scheduling concerts on worknights. I've missed so many concerts this year because of that.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
gotta hand it to donald glover - he really managed to con the entire world in to thinking he's a good musician
When it dropped on the website or whatever, one of the highest upvoted comments on r/hiphopheads was along the lines of Donald Glover is the artist that Kanye thinks he is

Might be the first time I ever put on my old man hat and said Gen Z got some 'splaining to do

Has everyone lost their damn mind in this quarantine? Or is it just that they're too young to know better?

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
When it dropped on the website or whatever, one of the highest upvoted comments on r/hiphopheads was along the lines of Donald Glover is the artist that Kanye thinks he is

Might be the first time I ever put on my old man hat and said Gen Z got some 'splaining to do

Has everyone lost their damn mind in this quarantine? Or is it just that they're too young to know better?

this is the shit i was talking about, absolute lunacy comparing donald glover to fuckin kanye west

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the first time an artist has been uplayed on the internet
True. I think the hyperbole is a lot more extreme considering Gambino is basically the only Renaissance Man in hip-hop. Because there's no one else in hip-hop doing the kind of things he's doing in film, television, and music, the praise gets more intense.

Personally, I don't think he's bad. I have a fondness for "Because The Internet" because of its ambition. In my case, it literally was "Babby's First Concept Album". "Awaken, My Love!" is really interesting and "Redbone" is a top-tier pop song. I just think he needs to focus on being consistent. I think my big issue with "3.15.20" is that it straddles the line between "These are unfinished B-sides" and "This is a real album". Because some songs are really rough: "Time" is too long, "Vibrate" needs to be trimmed, and the second half of this album zigs & zags between styles to the point it starts hurting the album experience. Going back to this comparison to "Endless", "Endless" feels like a bunch of B-sides, but as an album, it is still incredibly good and polished. There's nothing rough about it. This album, on the other hand, needed some trimming, some edits for the sake of flow, and structuring based on the theme.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
True. I think the hyperbole is a lot more extreme considering Gambino is basically the only Renaissance Man in hip-hop. Because there's no one else in hip-hop doing the kind of things he's doing in film, television, and music, the praise gets more intense.

Personally, I don't think he's bad. I have a fondness for "Because The Internet" because of its ambition. In my case, it literally was "Babby's First Concept Album". "Awaken, My Love!" is really interesting and "Redbone" is a top-tier pop song. I just think he needs to focus on being consistent. I think my big issue with "3.15.20" is that it straddles the line between "These are unfinished B-sides" and "This is a real album". Because some songs are really rough.
I think his "blank album cover" and "untitled song titles" is some kind of a cop out to sidestep people talking about it like it's an album, while at the same time being able to give people music to listen to in some kind of package. The random release of the album along with the inconsistency kind of leads me to believe that maybe he doesn't really care if people truly respect him as a musician but I'm going off the rails.

Last edited:

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017

Personally, I don't think he's bad. I have a fondness for "Because The Internet" because of its ambition. In my case, it literally was "Babby's First Concept Album". "Awaken, My Love!" is really interesting and "Redbone" is a top-tier pop song. I just think he needs to focus on being consistent. I think my big issue with "3.15.20" is that it straddles the line between "These are unfinished B-sides" and "This is a real album". Because some songs are really rough: "Time" is too long, "Vibrate" needs to be trimmed, and the second half of this album zigs & zags between styles to the point it starts hurting the album experience. Going back to this comparison to "Endless", "Endless" feels like a bunch of B-sides, but as an album, it is still incredibly good and polished. There's nothing rough about it. This album, on the other hand, needed some trimming, some edits for the sake of flow, and structuring based on the theme.
He'll always be set to a different standard than other artists because of how multitalented he is, and youre right, that brings extra scrutiny. I like the album but after the first four songs, the tone begins to wander to different places. Im fine with it but it requires a particular mood in order to listen to the whole thing in one setting. There are a good many tracks ill be returning to multiple times in the near future
this After Hours remix fucks
This sentence doesnt make sense in the english language, but it does make sense after hours

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this Uzi remix is complete trash lol, Chromatics is great though with Johnny's synths & Ruth's additional vocals

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I can't think of the last remix which I thought was completely fire to the point that it was better than the original.

I took a pill in Ibiza might be the last one.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I peeped Children of the Sea last year at the film fest but wasn't too impressed outside of the visuals and music, now I'm curious what about it resonated with you? peyrin I wanted to like it but the story left me feeling kinda indifferent.

honestly the sensory experience is a lot of it! I dunno if you've seen later malick films but it reminds me of those a lot with how it takes a story of one person and opens it up into abstract musings about the universe. definitely not for everyone and meant to be felt more than understood, but when it clicks it's tremendous

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
honestly the sensory experience is a lot of it! I dunno if you've seen later malick films but it reminds me of those a lot with how it takes a story of one person and opens it up into musings about the universe. definitely not for everyone and meant to be felt more than understood, but when it clicks it's tremendous

alright adding this to my letterboxd watchlist immediately

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly the sensory experience is a lot of it! I dunno if you've seen later malick films but it reminds me of those a lot with how it takes a story of one person and opens it up into abstract musings about the universe. definitely not for everyone and meant to be felt more than understood, but when it clicks it's tremendous
Very fair assessment. And alas I've yet to see Malick, might just have to rent copies online because I can't find much on the seven seas.

Status
Not open for further replies.