• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good afternoon! I've been an Madlib fan for around the past 10 years. The Jaylib project and onward I would always listen to. Recently, someone got me to start listening to his work prior to the Jaylib prior to that. So I've been listening to Shades of Blue album. What are everyone's thoughts on this project?
It's been a bit since I've last listened to "Shades of Blue", but I remember I really liked the work. I dig a lot of Madlib's beat-tapes and this was no different.

But, man, his beat for "Bandana" was just a different side of him.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My case for Blood on the Leaves is that it is Kanye's most audacious song. It's as personal as a College Dropout song, as tragic as a 808's and Heartbreaks song, as ambitious as a My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy song, and as twisted as the album it is the crowning highlight of. It's the fusion of the intimate and the ambitious - an unravelling of a doomed relationship in which drug-induced bliss fades to a tragic reality in which class, greed, race, and hedonism all spiral down. It depicts a relationship that at first glance would seem to be only demonising the woman, but in fact I'd argue the man (who might very well be Kanye) is even worse, ignoring the relationship's fracturing nature to pursue the hedonism that started that. Posturing his wealth and ignoring the very real divide. Sex without love. Marriage without love. Unholy matrimony indeed.

It also helps that the production is strong enough to back such a statement.
i almost missed the last sentence when i quoted this, but it's not gonna stop me from going through with my planned rant about the production. in a lot of ways, Blood On The Leaves brings many of Kanye's production hallmarks full circle, and in a way that fully realizes their potential. Kanye's sampling of soul records has been a staple since he started, and it's not even the first time he's cut up a Nina Simone sample, but he's come a long way from the RZA inspired style of College Dropout. here, the chop is still the 'center' of the beat, but it serves the rest of the elements of the song as much as they do the sample itself. he finally decodes how to balance the trap drums he'd stumbling on since the Watch the Throne/Cruel Summer days, and similarly figures out a way to capture the bombastic feeling of the synths from Graduation and Late Registration with much harsher tones.

the song sounds big, similarly to how MBDTF sounds big, but in a much more organic manner. MBDTF is a fantastic album, and All Of The Lights a fantastic song, but my big knock against it is how consciously the album feels like 'stadium rap'. it sounds like the album that came out after a guy had his opening gig for the biggest popstar in the world's stadium tour cancelled. it sounds like what it is - someone who, after being spurned by the media and audiences at large, realized they had previously underestimated their standing in pop culture relevance, and started making music that sounds like someone who can fill 20,000 seats a night would make.

then he's like "fuck all that shit" and puts out Yeezus, which flies in the face of that whole aesthetic as much as intentionally possible. "as soon as they like you, make 'em unlike you" is as much a thesis statement for Yeezus as it is for Kanye's entire career. yet after an opening track with almost zero percussion, and an album thus far with a total of maybe two actual snares, by the time Blood On The Leaves comes around, he's making a song that relies on several techniques he's gone to time and again throughout the years, but manages to make something that sounds wholly unique compared to anything in his preceding catalog.

it's a fantastic song that should go all the way. i will also be fine with All Of The Lights or Runaway going all the way. Street Lights is weak and it's sad that's the sole 808s survivor

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
i almost missed the last sentence when i quoted this, but it's not gonna stop me from going through with my planned rant about the production. in a lot of ways, Blood On The Leaves brings many of Kanye's production hallmarks full circle, and in a way that fully realizes their potential. Kanye's sampling of soul records has been a staple since he started, and it's not even the first time he's cut up a Nina Simone sample, but he's come a long way from the RZA inspired style of College Dropout. here, the chop is still the 'center' of the beat, but it serves the rest of the elements of the song as much as they do the sample itself. he finally decodes how to balance the trap drums he'd stumbling on since the Watch the Throne/Cruel Summer days, and similarly figures out a way to capture the bombastic feeling of the synths from Graduation and Late Registration with much harsher tones.

the song sounds big, similarly to how MBDTF sounds big, but in a much more organic manner. MBDTF is a fantastic album, and All Of The Lights a fantastic song, but my big knock against it is how consciously the album feels like 'stadium rap'. it sounds like the album that came out after a guy had his opening gig for the biggest popstar in the world's stadium tour cancelled. it sounds like what it is - someone who, after being spurned by the media and audiences at large, realized they had previously underestimated their standing in pop culture relevance, and started making music that sounds like someone who can fill 20,000 seats a night would make.

then he's like "fuck all that shit" and puts out Yeezus, which flies in the face of that whole aesthetic as much as intentionally possible. "as soon as they like you, make 'em unlike you" is as much a thesis statement for Yeezus as it is for Kanye's entire career. yet after an opening track with almost zero percussion, and an album thus far with a total of maybe two actual snares, by the time Blood On The Leaves comes around, he's making a song that relies on several techniques he's gone to time and again throughout the years, but manages to make something that sounds wholly unique compared to anything in his preceding catalog.

it's a fantastic song that should go all the way. i will also be fine with All Of The Lights or Runaway going all the way. Street Lights is weak and it's sad that's the sole 808s survivor
I think you are spot on with your stadium rap comment. For the record, I am a big pop fan, so that's part of the appeal for MBDTF for me.

Kanye will never make a beat as bleak or as all-consuming as Blood on the Leaves again. His best beats post-Yeezus have been more upbeat or gospel-influenced, with his attempts to musically capture that same level of anguished darkness being ... mixed in quality.

Last edited:

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I went for Runaway and Blood on the Leaves. All of the Lights is easily the weak link of the semis. Not even a top 5 track on its album.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you listen to that and then blood on the leaves and consider the difference to be 'a few changes' i don't know what to say to you

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also RIP TNGHT remember when hudmo pretended they weren't dead like two years ago lol. what the fuck happened to Lunice

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Out for the first time in forever in West Hollywood and ->Took a shot of Henny, I've been going brazy,brazy

Just wanted to say this thread has really broadened my knowledge and taste in Rap/Hip-Hop. Thanks mucho y'all ❤️🥃

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

they twitter been weirdly active lately so i suspect something coming soon

lmao what other thing i've presumed dead for years should i bitch about next in order to will it into reality? if i whine enough about Hannibal will season 4 show up next?

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tame Impala are doing an SNL performance on 3/30.

Kevin just uploaded a studio snippet of some new music.

We're probably getting the first single in the next week or two and the album probs beforehand Coachella.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde

mGYrB2S.gif

lmao what other thing i've presumed dead for years should i bitch about next in order to will it into reality? if i whine enough about Hannibal will season 4 show up next?
what a blessing that would be, work the magic

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

summer 2k19 anthem is here, bless up
happy friday y'all

Fire. The beginnign is jokes too, as Wiley has a reputation for not showing upto video shoots.
i'm really feeling this new Dave album
The deep, moodyness and story of Leslie to the upbeat sounds of Voices 👌 My fav is Purple Heart though. A nice chilled laidback down to earth song. I just wish he did more aggressive, ignorant shit. I get hes trying to convey a positve and "woke" message, which is great in this current Uk climate of drill/trap/afroswing dominance, its just he goes ignorant verses so well too.

Was this bop posted?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, Hasan Minhaj did an episode on hip-hop and how streaming has changed hip-hop. And man, is this dude dusty. Man referred to "Versace" as "recent" and unironically mentioned the Snoop Dogg flow.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao, i kinda gave up on Patriot Act but you've sold me on this episode. isn't he like 28 or some shit? smh

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao, i kinda gave up on Patriot Act but you've sold me on this episode. isn't he like 28 or some shit? smh
Try 33, but the rest of the episode is very insightful. Talks about how some regimes are co-opting hip-hop since it just can't be stopped.
yeezy died in 2018 and ya'll still throwing dirt on his last real effort
Imagine not recognizing the greatness in that minimalist gem of a beat that Daft Punk provided before they went back to pandering to Grammy voters' nostalgia.

BOTL is great, but "On Sight" sets the tone for the entire album: it's angry, its as raw as it can be, and it's the most "minimalist / Brutalist" track on the entire record.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
okay torre, do bound 2 next
we didn't have enough commentary on that outro last go around
I don't get the hate for Bound 2. I think it's a great song and the use of the sample is prime Kanye.

But, I do think it represents the last bit of Kanye's originality from that era. You can see signs of self-reference across "Yeezus". "Guilt Trip" could pass an "808s" out-take. "Black Skinhead" sounds like a more out-there out-take from Kanye's attempts at stadium pop anthems. And "Bound 2" is a more """experimental""" version of Kanye's old soul-sampling. The moments, in hindsight, were probably a precursor to Kanye's attempt to appeal to everyone with TLoP. However, it's a testament to how striking and dominant Kanye's vision is that these moments just blend in with the larger themes of the record, both lyrically and sonically. "Bound 2", then, is the last word from 2008-2013 Kanye. It's a final tweak of the nose to those who expected "Yeezus" to end the same way it began. It's the final statement from a man who used his prime to push what it means to be a pop artist in modern age. It's the final move from a man who went from sparse minimalism to lush, rich "luxury trap" (that probably serves as a symbol for the co-opting of traditionally "poor" artforms into expensive high-fashion) and back to harsh minimalism again. It's a playful and light end to an album focused on anger, anxiety, and rage. For any other artist, it would be an example of a bad album closer, but it works here (probably due to Rick Rubin's stripping away of the original.)

If "Yeezus" is a collection of creative moves that should alienate a lesser artist's fanbase, then "Bound 2" is a step back towards pleasing them.

In the narrative of "Yeezus", it's a light end to a ride full of anger, but in the broader tale, it represents Kanye losing focus on making a tight cohesive album in favor of making songs that please others. To his credit, I think he eventually realized that, which led to the Wyoming sessions and using production as therapy. But, I think the man that made "Yeezus", "808s", and "MBDTF" is long gone. "Bound 2" was his final statement.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just watched the Fyre documentary. I really hope Ja Rule is cancelled for eternity, in all aspects.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn at a skin eating disease, a bit of eczema drives me nuts as it is. edit: whoops

Any cut off Yeezus coming #1 is a win.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
gonna be honest I wish the final could've been Blood on the Leaves vs. Streetlights. It was so close and so intense - 14-17

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Runaway and All of the Lights.

Thank you for getting Street Lights out of there. Y'all were scaring me for a second lol

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
wait a second, Flashing Lights didn't even make it beyond the second round? this bracket is wild invalid

Status
Not open for further replies.