• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Jay-Z's verse makes Monster the worst song for me in MBDTF, despite how god-tier Nicki's verse is.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
So Appalled is the worst song on MBDTF solely because it's the only track on that album that doesn't justify its length

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Appalled is far and away the worst, by virtue of Jay's 'suck my balls through my drawers' line and CyHi's presence alone. both Jay's features on the album are trash though. his verse on Monster sounds like he wrote it after getting accidentally got locked in a CVS one night a week before Halloween and just started rapping about the stuff he was looking at

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
So Appalled is far and away the worst, by virtue of Jay's 'suck my balls through my drawers' line and CyHi's presence alone. both Jay's features on the album are trash though. his verse on Monster sounds like he wrote it after getting accidentally got locked in a CVS one night a week before Halloween and just started rapping about the stuff he was looking at
See I would've been down for the verse if it was kinda campy nonsense like the first part, but "rape and pillage a village, women and children" is trash-tier. Though admittedly it was ahead of the rap game in pedophile bars...

so glad 6ix9ine isn't a thing any more

Last edited:

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Vic Spencer (IL) & SonnyJim (GBR) - Spencer for Higher I & II

second in this collab series dropped recently. All sold out, but interestingly the first one is still available as a name your price digital. I've never seen a Daupe release become available just digitally, so this is pretty nice.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
So, Hasan Minhaj did an episode on hip-hop and how streaming has changed hip-hop. And man, is this dude dusty. Man referred to "Versace" as "recent" and unironically mentioned the Snoop Dogg flow.
Patriot Act is like the strangest show to watch. It's like.. just good enough to keep me watching, but just bad enough for me to kind of dread watching it to see some of Hasan's jokes that fall flat. The show would've been so much better if he didn't try to ape John Oliver's format so hard that you can't help but feel like it's a bargain version of that. Even Sam Bee went out of her way to switch up the format.

He's just super inconsistent as a comedian, and I don't really know how it's even possible to make it far in comedy if you're inconsistent.

8732 what it do

Travis Scott x Ed Sheeran x Marshmello

I'm.. okay with this? STRAIGHT UP

they've done the impossible and turned Lift Off into a good song

Lift Off was always good.

This is god level, though, W H E W.

Yandhi can't come soon enough.

So Appalled is the worst song on MBDTF solely because it's the only track on that album that doesn't justify its length
What is this nonsense?

Hating CyHi's verse crosses the line.

chromefrog

Nov 26, 2017
ok I'm officially fucking with Travis Scott after years of avoiding because i'm "Not into trap". Man is a legend.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My sides oh fuck

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
That a pretty good final 4, though Devil should be in there .
Personal fave order :
All of the lights > Runaway>Street Lights>Blood on the Leaves
Order of "best":
Runaway>BOTL>All of the Lights > Street Lights

Always loved Lift Off, I'm a huge mark for horns

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
So, Hasan Minhaj did an episode on hip-hop and how streaming has changed hip-hop. And man, is this dude dusty. Man referred to "Versace" as "recent" and unironically mentioned the Snoop Dogg flow.

here it is:

my head hurts

his other stuff is good tho

ok I'm officially fucking with Travis Scott after years of avoiding because i'm "Not into trap". Man is a legend.

you've finally seen the light

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yo i cracked up when the beat for Thailand 4.0 dropped. straight up Fisher Price My First Keyboard demo sounding ass beat

Hasan Minhaj has a weird nervous energy that kinda rubs me the wrong way but the show usually has an interesting angle to the stuff it covers. what a goof though, referencing Snoop like he hasn't been on cruise control since like '96. still, a cool look at how the genre is having an influence on various political situations around the world. one of the reasons people being dismissive of rap in general drives me nuts is how they generally overlook that aspect, and it's nice to see a peice that focuses on that impact.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I'd make a legitimate argument that streaming is a huge net positive for hip hop. Stuff like DNA, XO Tour Llif3, and This is America would not have been hits in a non-streaming world, and yet they all made Billboard year end charts for the US.

That video is oldhead trash.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's kind of impossible to accurately asses the health of the music industry at large in relation to streaming given the pace at which things are constantly changing now. there's an article/transcript that takes a broader look at the current and potential future effects of streaming on music as a whole i was reading the other day that touches on this:
The archive is collapsing, and who will preserve it? More magazines will go under. Many that are hanging on do so due to clever side business models that don't depend on journalism turning a profit. The role of the critic has been under threat some for time, and will continue to lose influence to algorithmic populism, and the kindof process-hack algorithmic manipulation that makes stars on Instagram and Youtube. Spotify and Apple are already hiring journalists to cover the work they promote on their platform, so we will see more hagiographical journalism feeding that system, and the traditional idea of the critic as arbiter of taste, and gatekeeper of the archive, will continue to be eroded. Other gatekeepers, such as labels and niche festivals, will continue to lose prominence over time unless they radically reconsider their value propositions. The end of history? Nope, but the end of an era for sure. Another cold-light-of-day re-reading of the surge of poptimism in the press over the past decade is to see it as the bargaining stage of grief over the seemingly inexorable charge of bot-like popular figures who hoover up ideas from the margins and deploy significant resources to capture a moment with music fortified from any potentially critical angle one might level at it.::

Pop stars are better understood as monarchic CEO's of content production studios atop a feudal, trickle up, creative economy. They have adapted to the online ecosystem far faster than the critical systems that might have one day raised objection to them. For many, the only thing to do now is to sit back and commentate, like a formula one spectator, as these fast & furious culture scanning vehicles whizz past everyone.

We still have a really sticky and unfortunate problem. What of all these wonderful gatekeepers and intermediaries, who have contributed so much and still have so much to contribute to the development of new and interesting music? What of the niche festivals, the local DIY organisers, the labels, and thoughtful journalists and editors? The people who have weathered the storm to this point? What will become of them?

I loathe to say it, but I think that things are going to get way, way worse.

Why?

Well on the one hand, the platform monopolies like Spotify and Youtube are going to continually erode your influence with every new person that comes online. Their algorithms will direct traffic away from your priorities, and towards theirs, and to survive in that ecosystem you will need to satisfy their agenda. Doesn't sound too independent does it? Journalists will have to write more about what Spotify prioritises. Artists will have to make work to satisfy the debased formal requirements of those platforms. Labels will be shoo-ed off like annoying pests that are messing with the platforms long term vision. Really bad, and a great reason to be really angry at that particular logic of culture. 🎊

So what then about these kind of new intermediaries, the organisations that have successfully managed to leverage brand money towards supporting culture? If your previous raison d'être was to support marginal communities, and weird music, you are probably going to end up being out competed by their models. Models that manage to leverage brand money to support those communities will grow and grow in prominence. The thing is, if you are playing exactly the same game, and one entity found a model to support exactly the same thing that you have supported traditionally, but more effectively, then you are probably going to lose that game. It sucks, but that's what is likely going to happen.

a bit lengthy, but with a gander if you're interested in this kinda thing https://medium.com/@matdryhurst/protocols-duty-despair-and-decentralisation-transcript-69acac62c8ea

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Oh god OT made the thread. Countdown to people saying hip hop died in the 90's and is now all just gucci gang ...

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not coming soon. Otherwise, he'd be announcing festival shows. I'd expect it to be later on November or maybe top of next year. This year is all about Q and Rashad.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017

It's not coming soon. Otherwise, he'd be announcing festival shows. I'd expect it to be later on November or maybe top of next year. This year is all about Q and Rashad.
Yeah, I'm expecting next year as well. Could just be TDE related hype machine starting up. Q has been consistently pointing towards music dropping soon on his Instagram stories. I still doubt Rashad comes out anytime soon.

Q and Danny Brown are my most anticipated releases of the year.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
It is done

In first place: Runaway
In second place: Blood on the Leaves
In third place: Street Lights

https://challonge.com/nhf60qq9 - here is the bracket.
That works for me. Dating back to the GAF-Hop days this place has had an affinity for Yeezus (rightfully so of course). Although I would put College Dropout in my top 3 I'm not sure there's one song I prefer to this top 3 of tracks we have here. Late Registration is probably the most overrated Ye record and Graduation is not that good in all honesty.

Runaway is ultimately a culmination of everything people like about Kanye, predictable and fitting.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Now, who creates the OT thread announcing our the decision to the rest of ERA in order to get their informed takes on the subject?

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Travis leak:

Beast Coast album and tour on the way:
qOPOsOE.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This Juice WRLD album is boring as hell. I gave up after 8 tracks because there is nothing interesting going on here. It's the same bullshit in different forms.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Now, who creates the OT thread announcing our the decision to the rest of ERA in order to get their informed takes on the subject?
That's an easy way for the rest of era to think I'm a Kanye stan, and that would sabotage my image as a trans activist in era.

Also, I should do some tie-breakers so we can get a ranked top 10

(I've been watching too much Love is War so I'm analysing everyting I do more)

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
That's an easy way for the rest of era to think I'm a Kanye stan, and that would sabotage my image as a trans activist in era.

Also, I should do some tie-breakers so we can get a ranked top 10

(I've been watching too much Love is War so I'm analysing everyting I do more)

Isn't Kanye by far the most trans supporting rapper tho?

Status
Not open for further replies.