• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know of these long albums help for streaming to be honest with you. I guess that first listening means a lot because I can't see a lot of people really listening to a 22 to track album a lot.
even if your album is roughly the same length as the average album, having more and shorter songs means more plays per album (you have to play a song for ~30 seconds before it counts as one stream) and also the shorter the less the risk that it gets skipped if it's in a curated playlist which would decrease its chances to stay in the list.

tbf the whole of bloating streaming numbers this way isn't different from double albums back then counting as twice the sales (that's why Speakerboxxx/The Love Below has, what, 10xPlatinum?). when CDs started being used albums became longer too to fill the 60-70 minutes. and before that vinyl added Side Bs as a selling point. the medium's data volume has always informed the music itself. nowadays it's more songs that are shorter because of streaming.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't take Juice World more than a couple songs at a time. Funny cause I fuck with that song in the spider verse movie.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
qFlX181.jpg

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Top 12 for Kanye based on Era (after tiebreakers)

1. Runaway
  2. Blood on the Leaves
  3. Street Lights
  4. All of the Lights
  5. Devil In A New Dress
  6. Hold My Liquor
  7. Jesus Walks
  8. Dark Fantasy
  9. Power
  10. We Major
  11. All Falls Down
  12. Black Skinhead

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
listened to Assume Form again after taking a break from it for a few weeks. that album...is my favorite of the year so far.

Top 12 for Kanye based on Era (after tiebreakers)

1. Runaway
  2. Blood on the Leaves
  3. Street Lights
  4. All of the Lights
  5. Devil In A New Dress
  6. Hold My Liquor
  7. Jesus Walks
  8. Dark Fantasy
  9. Power
  10. We Major
  11. All Falls Down
  12. Black Skinhead
the lack of Gorgeous and Flashing Lights aside, this ain't that bad really.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kanye bracket got me re-listening to 808s and listening to Pinocchio Story is kind of nuts and a little sad given where Kanye is at today.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently James Blake hasn't been playing Into The Red or If The Car Beside you much this tour :[

Not surprisingly on the other hand his setlist is real trim on his early work.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Kanye's music really is such a tragedy in the Shakespearean sense. A lone figure, addicted to hedonism but struggling to connect. Losing respect, his adored mother, and himself. Whether or not he's sympathetic, he's often tragic. Even his bragging is lathered in self doubt. Intense emotions spiralling further and further down.

Fifty years in the future, someone is going to make a musical about Kanye's life using his music and it is going to be bad.

And then another fifty years later, someone will make a musical on his life that is a masterpiece that recognises Kanye's talent, personal life, and status within culture as the beautiful dark twisted fantasy it is.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Okay so I recognised this is going to be like a 6 hour musical at this rate but here's my rough concept for half one of the play

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Open: Dark Fantasy. This sequence establishes Kanye in-media-res, at the height of his acclaim. He has redeemed himself temporarily. This is staged as an elaborate fantasy sequence, where Kanye's hedonism begins fading, crumbling under spiritual weight of self-doubt. He reflects on his past…

Medley of Homecoming and Hey Mama – montage of his early life – early rapping, his time in Nanjing. Focused on his relationship with his mother.

All Falls Down – dropping out of college

Spaceship snippet – drive to make more music after college.

Last Call – a montage of basically what's already in the lyrics. His pre-TCD comeup as a producer and rapper.

Through The Wire – self-explanatory recollection of the car crash.

Jesus Walks – Establishing faith

(Juxtaposed with brief scene of AMAs walkout)

Gold Digger – a fantasyish scene, partially symbolizing his rise to success from The College Dropout.

G E O R G E B U S H D O E S N T C A R E A B O U T B L A C K P E O P L E

Medley of Can't Tell Me Nothing/Stronger – Kanye rising in both controversy and fame, establishing Graduation era.

Hey Mama (Reprise) – Not long after finding out about his mother's death, he performs this at the grammys.

Montage of Kanye planning sound for 808's and heartbreaks juxtaposed with what he was going through at the time

Love Lockdown – 2008 MTV Awards performance. Controversial, but ultimately acclaimed.

Heartless – ironically juxtaposed with his relationship to Bey and his height of mainstream acceptance.

T A Y L O R I N C I D E N T

Street Lights – Kanye downbeat after incident, having made ass of self.

Montage of Hawaii album-making process for MBDTF involving beat making and the hyper-intense recording (including Nicki's Monster verse)…

Which goes into RUNAWAY – the big end of the first half of the play. The song plays in its entirety as the reality fades into that beautiful dark twisted fantasy.

END OF HALF ONE

I picked songs that would either be emotional pinpoints or could serve as exposition. Music makes up more of this than dialogue.

Half two is going to be much harder. It won't have a clear ending, and I've got to cover a lot of ground that isn't as easily summed up with just his songs.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I have been baited by myself (and I take back the part about this sabotaging my image as a trans activist because in all honesty Kanye's been trans inclusive)

Though let's be clear - Half two is going to get a lot more critical of Kanye. Also, I didn't have to look up much of this other than checking if the lyrics for Last Call made any of my picks redundant, and a double-check of the timeline.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i love this kinda shit. OwOtacon has been doing good work in this thread this year.

real talk, as someone who kinda loathes the musical format, a Kanye play would get me into a Broadway theater opening week. imagine a hip hop musical written by someone who actually raps instead of by some theater nerd who got stuffed into trashcans by terrible rappers in front of future MSNBC anchors

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Any hiphop heads in San Fransisco know if this guy (Richie Cunning) is cooking up something new or even is still in the game?

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shlohmo did his first BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix a few days ago. Seems like hes been out the spotliught for a bit but he back now. Its real nice and moody, def some new stuff in their. Apparently he has a new album coming out later this month.

Bonus, Four Tet takes on UK rap:

Status
Not open for further replies.