• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
MBDTF is my favourite album of all time but bro that volksgeist video is the most stereotypical white college kid's first music video essay shit ever holy shit, so many gems in there

sit down breh

full

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MBDTF is my favourite album of all time but bro that volksgeist video is the most stereotypical white college kid's first music video essay shit ever holy shit, so many gems in there

sit down breh
Ngl these are a big pet peeve of mine. Why the fuck have these 10 minute-plus video essays grown so popular lmao?

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Ngl these are a big pet peeve of mine. Why the fuck have these 10 minute-plus video essays grown so popular lmao?

culture vulture white boys who want their opinions on rap validated by fellow white boys who have good editing skills and a thesaurus kept on them at all times.

when you hear this volksgeist guy say that he didn't get into hip-hop until 2015 thru MBDTF because "political and social issues are at the topic of choice for most of the greatest hip-hop lyricists and being someone who used music as a way to escape reality, I just didn't have much interest in music that dealt with current topics" and then turn around in the same video to drop gems like "the album reaches above and beyond what hip-hop was supposed to be at the time", "Hip hop hadn't fully captured the attention of white music listeners around the world until MBDTF", "MBDTF brought more recognition to hip hop as a respectable and interdisciplinary art form than ever before", "MBDTF proved over time to be an album by a hip-hop artist that reaches above and beyond the stereotypical characteristics of the hip-hop record, a work of art that touches on the broader human experience in the early 21st century", and "it said so much more than the late 2000s radio rap of Flo Rida or t-pain" (saying this like that's all rap was before MBDTF dropped).... shit is BIG icky to me

get your rap critiques from a white college kid who thinks that rap couldn't be art until he listened to a rap album for the first time 4 years ago, brehs.

and to top it all off... the video is being hosted on fantano's channel. beautiful

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10 minutes is the mark where the money kicks in on YouTube. it's a shame there aren't more videos like that Australian dude who posted a deep-dive into how Raider Klan evolved from old-school Tennessee records where people actually put the effort into exploring a topic that hasn't been done to the umpteenth degree. i've been a Kanye fan since CD and for like 2/3rds of his career part of the package are thinkpeices on how omnipresent and how broadly impactful he's been on pop culture. there's pretty much nothing any video on albums/artists of that magnitude can teach you that you don't already know if you've even halfway been paying attention

Last edited:

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
10 minutes is the mark where the money kicks in on YouTube. it's a shame there aren't more videos like that Australian dude who posted a deep-dive into how Raider Klan evolved from old-school Tennessee records where people actually put the effort into exploring a topic that hasn't been done to the umpteenth degree. i've been a Kanye fan since CD and for like 2/3rds of his career part of the package are thinkpeices on how omnipresent and how broadly impactful he's been on pop culture. there's pretty much nothing any video on albums/artists of that magnitude can teach you that you don't already know if you've even halfway been paying attention

"IS 808'S AND HEARTBREAK THE MOST INFLUENTIAL ALBUM OF THIS CENTURY???????????"

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
i guess i like The Most Unruly, because that dude actually knows what the fuck he's talking about and his videos are like 30 minute long docs. shoutouts to him

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I went back to faces and the funeral is still the shit. RIP to the boy providing much of my playlist from macadelic wmwtso to faces all in the span of like 3 years.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
culture vulture white boys who want their opinions on rap validated by fellow white boys who have good editing skills and a thesaurus kept on them at all times.

when you hear this volksgeist guy say that he didn't get into hip-hop until 2015 thru MBDTF because "political and social issues are at the topic of choice for most of the greatest hip-hop lyricists and being someone who used music as a way to escape reality, I just didn't have much interest in music that dealt with current topics" and then turn around in the same video to drop gems like "the album reaches above and beyond what hip-hop was supposed to be at the time", "Hip hop hadn't fully captured the attention of white music listeners around the world until MBDTF", "MBDTF brought more recognition to hip hop as a respectable and interdisciplinary art form than ever before", "MBDTF proved over time to be an album by a hip-hop artist that reaches above and beyond the stereotypical characteristics of the hip-hop record, a work of art that touches on the broader human experience in the early 21st century", and "it said so much more than the late 2000s radio rap of Flo Rida or t-pain" (saying this like that's all rap was before MBDTF dropped).... shit is BIG icky to me

get your rap critiques from a white college kid who thinks that rap couldn't be art until he listened to a rap album for the first time 4 years ago, brehs.

and to top it all off... the video is being hosted on fantano's channel. beautiful
damn breh I was just skimming thru until halfway when I got bored by his tangent to King Crimson, those quotes aren't icky it's high-key racist. White people dunking on something until it's acceptable to their tastes is a never-ending trend, whether it's in music or food.
Ah didn't know that. It just seems to me that most video essays would crumble as a written piece because more often than not the editing hides the lack of any actual insight.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
"until i heard camp by childish gambino, i thought that rap wasn't really art and was just a bunch of thugs yelling about drugs, money, and misogyny. thank you donald glover for shifting the culture"

Y1UCxii.jpg

damn breh I was just skimming thru until halfway when I got bored by his tangent to King Crimson, those quotes aren't icky it's high-key racist. White people dunking on something until it's acceptable to their tastes is a never-ending trend, whether it's in music or food.

i wish this site had a reddit gold style function because this deserves it

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

jesus fucking christ. i didn't watch it but that's hilarious/incredibly depressing unless they're like 15. i feel like Kanye is the modern day Wu-Tang in the sense that he's a great springboard into a level of sububanite-colledge-freshman-acceptable rap like Tyler and ASAP Rocky the way Wu were for like Mobb or the LOX in like 1999. "sure, Da Baby is fine, but Kanye just *gets* it" is the new "fuck Cash Money, go buy Liquid Swords!"

completely unrelated, but this reminds me of the time a bunch of the older kids in my Tae Kwon Do class were talking about music after we got out, and the super serious white guy made the mistake of letting it slip that he was listening to Confessions by Usher and proceeded to get clowned on and told to buy Wu Tang Forever til his mom picked him up. dude subbed for the teacher for a week once and he was a fuckin total dick so i don't feel bad laughing about this as an adult

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
jesus fucking christ. i didn't watch it but that's hilarious/incredibly depressing unless they're like 15. i feel like Kanye is the modern day Wu-Tang in the sense that he's a great springboard into a level of sububanite-colledge-freshman-acceptable rap like Tyler and ASAP Rocky the way Wu were for like Mobb or the LOX in like 1999. "sure, Da Baby is fine, but Kanye just *gets* it" is the new "fuck Cash Money, go buy Liquid Swords!"

completely unrelated, but this reminds me of the time a bunch of the older kids in my Tae Kwon Do class were talking about music after we got out, and the super serious white guy made the mistake of letting it slip that he was listening to Confessions by Usher and proceeded to get clowned on and told to buy Wu Tang Forever til his mom picked him up. dude subbed for the teacher for a week once and he was a fuckin total dick so i don't feel bad laughing about this as an adult

getting on for listening to top tier 2000s rnb smh lmfaoooooooo

bless 😤 up 🌟 For real though those quotes fit that to a T, goddamn.

a rap album isn't truly art until duncan, kyle, tyler, and chad say it is

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ayyyy bless up. I haven't listened to him much aside from maybe one mixtape but I def kept a few tracks off that album

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me agreeing with your posts while being a white guy who got into hip-hop 6 years ago

mZmJsT8Y6CAnjPsZknup2SMJWQk=.gif

fwiw i think there's a big difference between being white and enjoying rap and being white and thinking you have a place to authoritatively speak on the subject

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
love yall too 😭 been in this community since 2015. the only part of ERA that i still care about. i get 90% of my musical recommendations here too, so huge thanks to everyone. bless up.
Missed this, but I've always appreciated your enthusiasm around these parts Kooz. And Icolin too.
I don't post that much in here, but it's always on perma-subscribe cuz of the great suggestions from everyone.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Video easy kinda of suck for the part. Some do it good but for it never really that end deeps and is the bare mention

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Smh at that young boy shooting. Apparently a bystander got killed 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
VLONE SOLDIERS 😤😤😤😤😤😤😤

SHAWTY***GON**SUCK*+DIS**DICK*+:)

CA$H**CARTI*+ sLATT🐍*+:) ok !

Last edited:

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017

Damn I didn't even know Uzi had braces. Unless grill fashion has changed while I wasn't looking.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently snippets of a Swae Lee & Drake track with KAYTRANADA on the beats got leaked?

Holy shit that's a good combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.