• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I love how he does the "they called me a coon 😢" shit in Utah. I hope the whole album is littered with this trash.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
EGJ9SLCWwAAHD6F

LMAO

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God, "Joker" is mediocre as fuck.

It's shallow as fuck and people out here pretending it's the next "Taxi Driver."

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Todd Phillips has no sense of nuance and this film is butchered because of it.

God, I'm annoyed at how bullshit this film's acclaim is. It'll probably win Phoenix the Best Actor Oscar and I will rage like the heavens have never known.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018

I think a fun exercise would be to see which rappers have the potential to climb spots (ex/ Kendrick will end his career top 10 DOA no question )

Not looking forward to getting worked up again over people ignoring his MAGA shot and blowing Kanye in the JIK

Joker is a generational talent let down by a script and director who don't understand nuance who think ," This is heavy and dark , so it's deep. Just trust us on this."

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Joker was okay. Though it wasn't really Joker till the end. I thought Joaquin did a good job.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, even with his MAGA stint it's very hard to argue against Kanye being one of the most influential rapper producers in history.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Phoenix can join the pile of other best actor winners who deserved the award but got it for the wrong film

the master, her, inherent vice...whew

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new Gesaffelstein EP bangs. Closer to Aleph than Hyperion, and a lot more fun/full of energy than the pop nonsense on Hyperion.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
look guys he's only saying that in the Mecca of tangentially Christian-related religions that considered black people subhuman for like 150 years

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh god damnit heromanz does this really warrant another godawful OT rap topic

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Took me a second listen of the new Danny Brown for me to realize yeah this record is fantastic. I guess I just expected the instant head-pummeling catharsis of Atrocity Exhibition to translate into this despite the change in direction, but jumping into this was more like jumping into a cold pool in the summer. Once you warm up to it, it's so damn good.

Gesaffelstein's new EP is pretty tight, though it doesn't seem as uniformly high-gain oriented as Aleph which might make some a bit reticent to thinking "he's back". As one of the five people who thought half of Hyperion was pretty good, this was a nice return to form.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao my little brother witnessed that shit first hand. In a republican state nonetheless. Fucking Mormons

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm really curious about your thoughts RE: the ehrlich review now that you've seen it
I think Ehrlich gives this film a lot more credit than it frankly deserves. It's not a grand reinvention of "dark superhero cinema". Rather, it's intellectual click-bait. It's the kind of movie that begs you to give it a watch because its "provocative" and "edgy" and "contemporary" only for you to discover its only superficially so with no attempt to be deep.

Ehrlich's thesis, the way I see it, is this:
It's possessed by the kind of provocative spirit that's seldom found in any sort of mainstream entertainment, but also directed by a glorified edgelord who lacks the discipline or nuance to responsibly handle such hazardous material, and who reliably takes the coward's way out of the narrative's most critical moments.
But, I don't see that "provocative spirit". In other words, it doesn't provoke for a reason. All I see is the edgelord's fingerprints on a script that's provocative because it gets the people going. There's nothing justifying the need to provoke.

I think Ehrlich is trying too hard to justify why "Joker" should be talked about in intellectual circles, when it really shouldn't. He, and the rest of critics, fell for Joker's trick.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So I went on a date with zoolady today and it went great! We didn't go to the zoo since the weather is bad in The Netherlands, but we did feed carrots to deer. Second date sometime next week. Thanks for the prayers brehs.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

hearing these leaks makes macs passing suck so much. He was so damn talented.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Ehrlich gives this film a lot more credit than it frankly deserves. It's not a grand reinvention of "dark superhero cinema". Rather, it's intellectual click-bait. It's the kind of movie that begs you to give it a watch because its "provocative" and "edgy" and "contemporary" only for you to discover its only superficially so with no attempt to be deep.

Ehrlich's thesis, the way I see it, is this:

But, I don't see that "provocative spirit". In other words, it doesn't provoke for a reason. All I see is the edgelord's fingerprints on a script that's provocative because it gets the people going. There's nothing justifying the need to provoke.

I think Ehrlich is trying too hard to justify why "Joker" should be talked about in intellectual circles, when it really shouldn't. He, and the rest of critics, fell for Joker's trick.
i generally agree and think any speculation about what acts might be 'inspired' by this were, expectedly, completely unjustified, but i also don't understand how anyone could have taken that away from watching this. the movie is basically "Bernie Goetz inspires Occupy Wall Street" - two cultural events that were widely discussed amongst the public at large without inspiring anyone to start randomly murdering people - and it's cynical to the point of being nihilistic. the titular character all but looks (or maybe he actually does?) straight into the camera and says "I HAVE NO IDEOLOGY." what is there to even emulate?

i don't think i disliked it as much as you, though i like it less the more i think about it. i think there's some interesting themes - what happens when income disparity hits a boiling point, the exploitation of clearly aggrieved or mentally ill people for entertainment - but it doesn't really seem interested in exploring them beyond picking them up and being like "hey, look at this" and then putting them back on the shelf.

looks like Observe and Report will remain my favorite Taxi Driver remake for the time being

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't think i disliked it as much as you, though i like it less the more i think about it. i think there's some interesting themes - what happens when income disparity hits a boiling point, the exploitation of clearly aggrieved or mentally ill people for entertainment - but it doesn't really seem interested in exploring them beyond picking them up and being like "hey, look at this" and then putting them back on the shelf.
Its because of this that I dislike it a lot. It takes the Benioff & Weiss approach to themes and symbolism and subtlety and nuance.

The script is the weakest part of this whole endeavor and is a large part of why this whole film turns me off so much.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
i find it hard to believe Joaquin, one of my favorite actors in Hollywood, would deliver a performance as terrible as torre is describing.
nonetheless, i have yet to see the film and i will only when all this hype has quieted down

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i won't lie, Phillips missed an opportunity to really flip the comic book genre on it's head. i was hoping that after he climbed into the fridge, it would just be that same shot for 45 minutes before the door opened again and you hear

"ICE TO MEET YOU"

and Shwarzenegger's Mr Freeze emerges before cutting to black

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
What's that song y'all all thought would blow up but never did?

Thought this song had it all but might've just not been as catchy as I find it. Thought it was a prime Breezy hook. Just reading online now, seems like it dropped post- Rihanna situation and Juelz refused to replace Breezy with Trey Songz on the hook, interesting. Trey Songz is seemingly, eternally popular/successful but like I never encounter his music ANYWHERE, it's so odd.

Also basically every Ramriddlz x Jaegen song.

Status
Not open for further replies.